PDA

View Full Version : Beginner shocks/suspension

rikahaem
10-01-2012, 01:12 PM
So I'm pretty clueless when it comes to my Jeep, something I've been trying to remedy as often as I can. But I'm kind of at a standstill currently.

Basically, I'm at the point where my Jeep feels like its riding really rough so I'm thinking new shocks/suspension will help.

First off, is this a valid assumption? The ride feels lower than it used to, it also feels like its hitting bumps and ruts much harder and rougher than it used to. If new shocks and new suspension will indeed help, how do I figure out what I need? Can I get by with just one or the other? I looked at some kits online and they go on about u-bolts and leafs and struts and track bars and all this stuff.

Any advice or words of wisdom? Or are there any similar posts out there that I can take a gander at to inform myself?

Thanks!

LizardRunner
10-01-2012, 01:16 PM
it all depends on if your going to lift your rig or keep it stock height. I'd go with Bilstein 5100's for shocks and check the springs for sag, a normal problem.

NW99XJ
10-01-2012, 01:25 PM
Well there's a few things to take into consideration... first, if your jeep is still stock, and you want to keep it that way, then all you REALLY need to do is a shock swap (this does however open a big can of worms, like the inevitable shock mount bolt breakage - and how to deal with it) ...more than likely your springs are still doing what they're supposed to. However there can be other gremlins at play here... for instance control arm bushings...if these are worn, then you'll get a lot of that jarring transferred straight thru to the body. These and track bar, or sway bar bushings help dampen some of the vibrations and impacts that come up thru the suspension. And speaking of control arms... the angle of the control arms have a LOT to do with how "soft/harsh" the ride is. Steep control arms will transfer much more of the impacts form the road to the body, basically the steeper the control arm angle the less the springs and shocks are doing their job. (imagine welding a bar from the axle straight up to the body... you'd feel every singe crack and bump in the road.) So if your jeep is already lifted, then look at the control arm angles, usually this becomes an issue at around 4" of lift or more. Think about control arm drop brackets, or a long arm upgrade (if you are already lifted)....
NOW, if you're stock and WANTING to lift, then you want to look at kits that are as complete as possible, and will match the kind of wheeling you're looking at doing and will allow you to run the tire size you want. usually kits around 4.5" will allow you to run 33's with some minor trimming, and there are a ton of kits out there that offer all of the little things that will come into play, and of course will come with shocks. Look at replacing the rear leaf springs if you haven't already when you choose a kit (if going that route) Add A Leafs will only come back to haunt you, by masking a saggy rear spring.
I hope this hasnt made you more confused, but addressing a suspension replacement can get quite involved.

07Negative
10-01-2012, 02:00 PM
All that was said above is on point. My first XJ that I kept stock height, all it ever needed was new leafs in the rear and shocks. I kept OEM style shock valving b/c it worked perfectly fine as is. However the dealership prices are retarded.
The other bushing(s) to check for are the upper control arm that mount to the axle. They are bushings on the actual axle where the upper control arms connect to the axle.
My advice if you want to lift and do all this stuff, would be to plan out your build. Ask questions and read what others have done and been doing. See what lift/tire size and other equipment needed will best suit your goals. The ideal behind this is to spend less money by buying a lift once for instance. It sucks money buying a 3.5" lift only to figure out you've been needing or wanting a 5.5" lift to clear 33's or 35's and have decent up travel. I've done it. Spent 2 or 3 times more than I ever needed to.

But if your staying at stock height. Your XJ just might need a little lovin. Bushings, maybe new leafs and or coils and shocks. I would suspect shocks. The OEM leafs never lasted me long either. Speaking for the rear where the shocks mount. Both mounts can be a P.I.T.A. The uppers seem to strip out. I think it's a nutcert. I've had to use a different mount up there b/c of it stripping out. The axle mount seems to break off for whatever reason. I've broken both of mine.