PDA

View Full Version : OEM Roof Rack

Dredwolf
09-27-2012, 10:00 PM
After some junkyard adventures, I realized I missed a detail.:bang:

Which years of XJ's had the "short" OEM rack, where the side rail is almost even with the back edge of the driver and pasenger door?

I checked my VIN's, and they match up, and my XJ is supposed to be a '99. So I might have some long OEM rack parts for sale very soon.

With my luck, I am prepared to believe that the "short" OEM rack is a '99 only item.:o

4.3LXJ
09-27-2012, 10:45 PM
Not sure on that one. Mine has the long ones

Brasscatz
09-27-2012, 11:16 PM
It would appear that 99-01 were the shorter roof rails. Here's the link that I found
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/97-01-xj-roof-rail-dfferences-1254461/

Dredwolf
09-28-2012, 08:13 PM
It would appear that 99-01 were the shorter roof rails. Here's the link that I found
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/97-01-xj-roof-rail-dfferences-1254461/

Very helpful....so I will be targeting '99 up to get what I need.

And yes, I know the gutter mounts are usually stronger, but that is after gears and winch.

Brasscatz
09-28-2012, 09:18 PM
Very helpful....so I will be targeting '99 up to get what I need.

And yes, I know the gutter mounts are usually stronger, but that is after gears and winch.

Glad it helped, buddy. I'm not worried about gutter mounts either. I think it all depends on what you are planning on carrying up there. Personally, I'm going to build the at-home rack that 4x4Dalton built. http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=7380

Carves
09-28-2012, 09:32 PM
X 2 with Brasscatz about thinking what goes up there.

Im only using the stock rails with a bunch of extra crossbars ... and find it more than adequate for a 30" tyre, hi-lift and some other junk.

The nutserts that hold - the fairly strong, stock rails - on, worry me a bit ... but after looking at the tiny bit of metal hidden under the removeable gutter trim ... I'd reckon its probably six of one / half a dozen of another - as to which method is actually the strongest ??

Dredwolf
09-28-2012, 10:24 PM
Glad it helped, buddy. I'm not worried about gutter mounts either. I think it all depends on what you are planning on carrying up there. Personally, I'm going to build the at-home rack that 4x4Dalton built. http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=7380

That is nice!

I want to make some sort of rack without selling a body part to do it, and this looks good. I may try to grab an extra cross bar with at the junkyard.

Dredwolf
09-29-2012, 05:46 PM
Good day at the JY, picked up a "short" rack from a '99 and got it mounted (WITH anti-seize on screws), the side rails are stout enough for my 6'5" son and I to grab and hoist ourselves up to stand on a rear tire.

Will the cross bars from a "long" rack work? They look like they will, so I can make use of this '98 one.

Then I can can build a version of the one 4x4Dalton built.

Brasscatz
09-29-2012, 08:23 PM
I don't see why the rack/crossbars wouldn't work. You've got the same width just different length (most women say width is important too :D). I'm interested to see your homemade rack since your stock one is "shorter". I suppose you could make the basket a tad longer than your rails, just can't stow much heavy stuff towards the front without some sort of buffer to support weight. On the other hand, I think I'll like the shorter look too :thumbsup:

4.3LXJ
09-29-2012, 08:37 PM
OK, I see what you mean by "shorter" now. The stock rack will support some weight, but the cross bars can be weak in the center. If you distribute the weight towards the edges it will be fine for most things. But gutter mount is much stronger as far as total weight is concerned.

Dredwolf
09-29-2012, 10:20 PM
I also came up with this crazy idea to bedliner the roof rack area when installing the "short" rack...I have two cross bars from the "long" rack to add and see if that will work....4 bars on the smaller rack should support a basket very well.

Then build the EMT rack...not so certain about a spare up there, but I do want to mount a HighLift up high, where you can get to it when the front or back is buried.

Not sure what to do about lights on the roof, though....maybe buy some gutter mounts and fab a light bar.

Brasscatz
09-29-2012, 10:29 PM
Sounds like a great plan! Can't wait to see it come to fruition!