PDA

View Full Version : Hi Folks!

Jeepincamper
09-24-2012, 08:20 PM
;)Hi, I have been driving a Jeep since the early `70's. I took my driver's test in a 1956 Willy's CJ5. Manual wiper on the passenger side, 5.38 gears, button on the floor to engage the starter, vacuum driver's side wiper, 134 cu in F-head. I am slowly restoring my `79 CJ7, 258, 4.10 gears, T18a tranny, etc. Owned since it was new. Resently sold my `97 TJ and bought a `97 XJ sport. A bit rough, but functional. Installed a 3" Zone lift inc. rear leaves, 31" General Grabber AT2.
I am currently the Director of Public Relations for the United Four Wheel Drive Associations (United is like the 4x4 owner's NRA). I am the president of the Middle Atlantic Four Wheel Drive Association and have been involved in Land Use and Land Management issues since the 1980's.
I would love to get an idea as to how many of your like to wheel your XJ's. How many like to Camp and Wheel? Now, I like to Camp, Wheel, Boat and fish all on the same trip. We have been doing that for some time in Western Maryland.
While we all know how hard it is to get places open. I do not want to see any of you loosing hope. The USDA Forest Service just signed an MOU with United 4WDA, so there is hope.
We have 3 XJ's in our family. My wife's `98, my daughter's `99 and of course my `97. My wife's `98 runs a Rubicon Express 3.5" life and 31" BFGs. You can't beatem'

4.3LXJ
09-24-2012, 08:40 PM
Welcome Preston

I am in Northern CA. We like to camp and wheel too. In August we camped in the Fordyce Creek area the weekend after the Seirra Trek so we could have the area to ourselves LOL.

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/Fordyce%20Trails/Aug%202012/2012-08-17_09-47-36_888.jpg

cantab27
09-24-2012, 10:58 PM
howdy mate ,welcome to the site......we are lucky down here where we can wheel.... there are many places from mild to wild all within a few hours travel .......closest to me is the river that runs by home...couple of mins and i can be engaging 4wd....like most wheelers i think most like the out doors camping fishing and mud......keep up the good work on keeping places open over there..

cheers wayne

XJ Wheeler
09-25-2012, 12:14 AM
Camping and jeeping, two things i'd love to be doing. Just gotta find those two things that seem to elude, time and money.

Welcome to the forum Preston, or el Director. Glad to see such a big organization showing its face on here and showing some love to the XJ.

Jeepincamper
09-25-2012, 07:53 PM
Hi Wayne,
The International President of the United Four Wheel Drive Associations is Peter Varey, from New Zealand. One of the nicest and smartest gentleman that I have ever met. I understand you all have your own set of land use challenges. The big difference, it sounds like you all have the ear of your Government.
Sounds like you all live in a neat country!
Have a great day!!

cantab27
09-25-2012, 10:40 PM
Hi Wayne,
The International President of the United Four Wheel Drive Associations is Peter Varey, from New Zealand. One of the nicest and smartest gentleman that I have ever met. I understand you all have your own set of land use challenges. The big difference, it sounds like you all have the ear of your Government.
Sounds like you all live in a neat country!
Have a great day!!

yes have read many a good things about peter.....don't know the man but is well known for the endless hours of work he puts in...writes in a local 4wd mag plus is a active member of our own local 4wd forum......tis a good man...

there are rumbles of certain land closers , tire size and land damage at the moment and don't start me on said authority cards:bang:...we have a meeting / protest tommorow night ,,,,,...

Jeepincamper
09-26-2012, 06:58 PM
yes have read many a good things about peter.....don't know the man but is well known for the endless hours of work he puts in...writes in a local 4wd mag plus is a active member of our own local 4wd forum......tis a good man...

there are rumbles of certain land closers , tire size and land damage at the moment and don't start me on said authority cards:bang:...we have a meeting / protest tommorow night ,,,,,...

Hi Wayne, Peter Vahry is someone worth going out of your way to meet. He is a one of a kind. You're correct. He is beyond dedicated to the sport and United. He is our editor for United's Voice and E-News. He is also very whitty. Very quick on the draw, so to speak. He has a fabulous sense of humor, as well. Him and his wife are very fine people. He is a very generous sort, as well.

Please keep us informed as to how you all make out at the rally. If you go to http://www.ufwda.org, you can:D check out Peter's work.

Good Luck! Do not take "NO" for an answer!
Preston