PDA

View Full Version : Rear Axle "popping" at low speeds

JMadigan
09-21-2012, 01:10 AM
For the last couple days, I've noticed that when turning or driving at slow speeds I hear a "popping" noise from the rear axle. This evening I jacked the rear up and spun the wheels hoping to find out more; First I spun each wheel with the tires on and listened for the noise. At first it seemed to be the driver side wheel, but when I took the tires off and spun rotor assembly is hear a continuous ticking from both sides. Afterward I put the tires back on and check the differential fluid, it was full! :confused:
Does anyone have experience with this? If it helps, I know its a Chrysler 8.25 Axle, probably a 27 pinion since the Jeep is a 95. The only things I have done to the rear are replace the original leaves with a S-10 bastard pack, I haven't been wheeling in about 2 weeks as well.
Thank you for any help! :D

prcjeep
09-21-2012, 09:16 AM
For the last couple days, I've noticed that when turning or driving at slow speeds I hear a "popping" noise from the rear axle. This evening I jacked the rear up and spun the wheels hoping to find out more; First I spun each wheel with the tires on and listened for the noise. At first it seemed to be the driver side wheel, but when I took the tires off and spun rotor assembly is hear a continuous ticking from both sides. Afterward I put the tires back on and check the differential fluid, it was full! :confused:
Does anyone have experience with this? If it helps, I know its a Chrysler 8.25 Axle, probably a 27 pinion since the Jeep is a 95. The only things I have done to the rear are replace the original leaves with a S-10 bastard pack, I haven't been wheeling in about 2 weeks as well.
Thank you for any help! :D

How's the fluid in your transfer case?

4.3LXJ
09-21-2012, 09:20 AM
You either have a bad wheel bearing, or more likely something wrong with the carrier or spider gears. Better pull the cover and take a peek.

nickxj94
09-21-2012, 09:23 AM
Sounds like broken spiders or broken gears.

JMadigan
09-24-2012, 12:30 AM
Thanks for the replies!
I was out of town for the weekend, so I just now got around to draining the fluid and pulling off the cover. I just took a gander at it for now, nothing appears to be terribly wrong and I didn't find any metal shavings inside. I'll jack it up and play with it tomorrow, but have a pic for now :D

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb367/JMadigan12/016_zps487ad14e.jpg

JMadigan
09-24-2012, 08:15 PM
Getting ready to go mess with it now, but a quick though before I do; I have to opportunity to get a 29-spline Chrysler 8.25 for $75 (EDIT: the new axle does not have a yolk, can I use the one from my 27 spline?). regardless of what is wrong with the rear, would that still be a good swap? I've read several times that the 29-spline is comparable to a Dana44. The other though was if it is the spider gears, to go the extra 200-300 and put an auto-lock or something in the rear.
opinions are appreciated :D
be back with an update on the axle in a few.

4.3LXJ
09-24-2012, 08:42 PM
That is a good deal. Jump on it. Yes, you can reuse your old yoke. You can get lunch box lockers for that price that work well. Make sure your ratios match

JMadigan
09-24-2012, 10:18 PM
I'm fairly new to differentials and how they work, so I figured it would be easier to make a video, shaky camera inbound!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc8erCkVJC8&feature=youtu.be

JMadigan
09-29-2012, 09:47 AM
I went and picked up the new axle on Thursday, and spend Thursday and Friday evening swapping it in. Didn't take any pictures since it' been covered several times on various forums. Everything is good so far! Hopefully I can come up with the money to get a locker in the coming months :D
Thanks to anyone who gave input on this thread.