PDA

View Full Version : Looking for fitness forums

Kimber6331
09-19-2012, 07:22 PM
Hey guys, Just wondering if anybody here knows of any good fitness/weightlifting/nutrition forums out there on the net? Fitness is a field I am very interested in, partly because I have to be, and to find a forum that runs similar to this one, in that field, would be amazing. This forum has helped me in more ways then I can list, especially being a newbie to xjs. Although I aint a newbie to fitness, I was hoping to find a forum that runs as great and has the same respect and atmosphere that xjtalk does. I've done some searching but all i really can find are the forums that are more like online stores. . Any out there? As always, any help is greatly appreciated.

4.3LXJ
09-19-2012, 08:07 PM
I have breezed through a few. Most of the ones I visited when researching supplements are full of hardcore type guys that are willing to take anything to get big and stay big. But I have to tell you that unless you are into competitive body building and on the juice, eating normally is fine. You cannot assimilate more than 25 grams of amino acids post work out anyway. Many of the studies that are cited by nutritional supplement companies are done on guys doing major stuff and are not even relevant to anyone that is natural. There are two guys at the gyms I hang out in. Guys that exercise hard and eat regular meals, and those who are on the juice and exercise a little. Both are very muscular, but the difference in strength is amazing. The juice just makes you big.

I'm old, but still bench the back yard, minus the outdoor kitchen. LOL It just takes a lot of hard work and you have to always push yourself to the limit.

Kimber6331
09-19-2012, 08:31 PM
Right! I agree. I'm not into supplements or juice or anything i just eat normal food and train hard but I was interested in discussing different work outs, or different type meals/nutrition, etc. Not so much into the hard core body building. I like having a neck, or being able to scratch my back lol A lot of people think that to be "in shape" you have to look like the rock. Not true. The elite athletes, fighters, combatants, do not look like they could throw a fridge.

Brasscatz
09-19-2012, 08:48 PM
I don't know of any forums like that, but I used to be into powerlifting and fitness when I was younger. Steve (4.3LXJ) is big into this stuff and would probably be a wealth of knowledge for you. Just like he is with Jeeps.

Have you looked into Crossfit and forums about it? I would love to get into something like that, but I fear my spine can't handle much anymore. Maybe I just have to work harder!

cpttuna
09-19-2012, 09:02 PM
After my open heart surgery, I stumbled onto a rehab /fitness center. Ihave been a member now for about a year and a half. It had a very knowledgeable fitness director and the three times a week that I go and work out are the best. You may be further ahead if you have something like this in your area that you can try out.

Mudderoy
09-19-2012, 10:31 PM
Hey guys, Just wondering if anybody here knows of any good fitness/weightlifting/nutrition forums out there on the net? Fitness is a field I am very interested in, partly because I have to be, and to find a forum that runs similar to this one, in that field, would be amazing. This forum has helped me in more ways then I can list, especially being a newbie to xjs. Although I aint a newbie to fitness, I was hoping to find a forum that runs as great and has the same respect and atmosphere that xjtalk does. I've done some searching but all i really can find are the forums that are more like online stores. . Any out there? As always, any help is greatly appreciated.

What a great compliment to :xjtalk: and all it's members! :patriot:

4.3LXJ
09-19-2012, 11:08 PM
Right! I agree. I'm not into supplements or juice or anything i just eat normal food and train hard but I was interested in discussing different work outs, or different type meals/nutrition, etc. Not so much into the hard core body building. I like having a neck, or being able to scratch my back lol A lot of people think that to be "in shape" you have to look like the rock. Not true. The elite athletes, fighters, combatants, do not look like they could throw a fridge.

Different work outs come and go. Almost like fad diets. Basically, if you stress the body, it will respond with strength and or endurance. It just depends on your individual goals.

4.3LXJ
09-19-2012, 11:16 PM
Have you looked into Crossfit and forums about it? I would love to get into something like that, but I fear my spine can't handle much anymore. Maybe I just have to work harder!

For those with bad backs, I have a short story to tell. There was an Orthopedic surgeon in Albany, OR that started a clinic for patients with bad backs, all post surgery. It consisted of 36 hours a week of physical therapy. He rented the whole YMCA during certain hours, had a shrink and nutritionist on staff. At the end of 8 weeks, he had a 98% rate of return to former lifestyles and occupations. Not a bad record

Brasscatz
09-20-2012, 06:21 AM
For those with bad backs, I have a short story to tell. There was an Orthopedic surgeon in Albany, OR that started a clinic for patients with bad backs, all post surgery. It consisted of 36 hours a week of physical therapy. He rented the whole YMCA during certain hours, had a shrink and nutritionist on staff. At the end of 8 weeks, he had a 98% rate of return to former lifestyles and occupations. Not a bad record

Not a bad record at all! I was doing physical therapy 3 times a week a few years ago, but insurance only paid for a certain number of visits a year. It was $12 a day with ins., and $80 without. I need to get back into it though.

4.3LXJ
09-20-2012, 10:51 AM
The big secret to bad backs is to keep the muscles around the spine strong.

Kimber6331
09-20-2012, 12:09 PM
Different work outs come and go. Almost like fad diets. Basically, if you stress the body, it will respond with strength and or endurance. It just depends on your individual goals.

That's true, depends on preference. Me personally I know I'd never have to be in a situation where Id have to squat 500 pounds or curl 100 pounds, or bench press 500 pounds (expecting to I should say). NOT saying there is no need for power, but Im interested in workouts that represent realistic actions or situations I could be in; fight, run, carry, etc. Im into more strength/ strength endurance then quick but big power. Right now Im trying to balance/mix: resistance training with body weight (push ups, chin/pull ups, dips, body rows, sit ups, etc.)and moderate weight training (bench press, lat pull downs, rows, curls, shoulder press, tri extensions.) three days a week; and every other day is a 5 mile run, sometimes with 50 yard sprints afterwards, sometimes 100, sometimes none lol. Sundays are off. The problem is I am actually losing reps/power in some excerises (not cardio), and I feel I might be losing some muscle. Part of me feels im over working, which i didnt feel before really. Not sure If I can stop/reverse this by increasing calorie intake, change my intake of certain things (protein/carbs), or cut back on resistance training. Thats stuff Im looking into. Besides better nutritional options of course!

And Brasscatz crossfit is something I definitely would be interested in. heard awesome things about it and awesome results. However, I still dont grasp what it is; a gym, a website, a club,a tape? ls it something I pay to do?

4.3LXJ
09-20-2012, 12:16 PM
You are experiencing what most football players, professional and college, experience. You can bulk up in the off season, but when the season comes you loose strength even if you are lifting heavy. I don't know how to explain it, but the body seems to give preference to endurance over strength. There are different muscle fibers involved. Slow twitch fibers are the endurance, fast and medium twitch are the strength fibers. It seems that if you try to do both, growth and energy go to the slow twitch fibers. I am not sure if anyone knows why.

bluedragon436
09-20-2012, 12:22 PM
As I am also in Maryland (when I'm home that is).. I have looked for someone to talk to about getting into a good workout routine or maybe even getting a crash course into getting in shape... I found one that I think is an awesome source, and on top of that located in MD.. Check out Stew Smith Fitness (http://www.stewsmith.com/)

Brasscatz
09-20-2012, 01:30 PM
That's true, depends on preference. Me personally I know I'd never have to be in a situation where Id have to squat 500 pounds or curl 100 pounds, or bench press 500 pounds (expecting to I should say). NOT saying there is no need for power, but Im interested in workouts that represent realistic actions or situations I could be in; fight, run, carry, etc. Im into more strength/ strength endurance then quick but big power. Right now Im trying to balance/mix: resistance training with body weight (push ups, chin/pull ups, dips, body rows, sit ups, etc.)and moderate weight training (bench press, lat pull downs, rows, curls, shoulder press, tri extensions.) three days a week; and every other day is a 5 mile run, sometimes with 50 yard sprints afterwards, sometimes 100, sometimes none lol. Sundays are off. The problem is I am actually losing reps/power in some excerises (not cardio), and I feel I might be losing some muscle. Part of me feels im over working, which i didnt feel before really. Not sure If I can stop/reverse this by increasing calorie intake, change my intake of certain things (protein/carbs), or cut back on resistance training. Thats stuff Im looking into. Besides better nutritional options of course!

And Brasscatz crossfit is something I definitely would be interested in. heard awesome things about it and awesome results. However, I still dont grasp what it is; a gym, a website, a club,a tape? ls it something I pay to do?

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/what-crossfit.html
There are paid courses you can take, or you can do your own course. You have to keep in mind that when you do the same thing ALL the time, you'll reach a plateau where you'll stop gaining strength and stop burning as many calories because your body gets accustomed. You have to mix it up or ”shock” your muscles which is also what P90X preaches.

One thing my wife did was she went to a nutritionist doctor and had blood work done. she stopped losing weight no matter what she did. The blood work showed exactly what nutrients she was deficient in. she now eats a paleo deit and takes vitamin supplements on top of her exercise and it worked miracles. Paleo isn't so much a diet rather than a lifestyle change. You basically eat nothing that has been processed only natural. It's amazing how much more energy she has and how much better she feels and she didn't know she even felt bad before!

Firemanray
09-20-2012, 02:18 PM
I've been training on bikes lately with a good friend of mine. His wife is a personal trainer and knows a lot about this stuff. Here is a way to get some information from her:
http://beachbodycoach.com/esuite/home/jamijohns

Since I posted this, don't be stalk'n!! Not a good idea to mess with this woman, 'nuff said!

Kimber6331
09-22-2012, 04:21 PM
Damn...I wish I could choose for myself. Might have to switch up my routine. Its just weird ive never gotten to the point where my body has to choose. thanks for the links! Will have to check them out. and firemanray dont worry I have enough problems I dont need another one lol I actually looked up that paleo diet and it sounds pretty interesting! I definitely want to try it out. As far as slow twitch and fast twitch (Power vs Endurance), which would you guys rather have more of? Power is nice, but outlasting is good too. Rather throw 200 good punches then 20 haymakers..

4.3LXJ
09-22-2012, 06:41 PM
The best thing I have found that is a combination is called Power Cuts. It is a full workout that consists of sets of 50 of everything with light weights. May not sound like much, but at the end of an hour of one rep per second, you are done in. I did these after a power workout twice a week. Endurance was definitely up and power went up too. But this is not a running type of thing. As for 20 haymakers, from experience, I will take the haymakers. You only have to connect once with those.

Brasscatz
09-22-2012, 08:29 PM
As for 20 haymakers, from experience, I will take the haymakers. You only have to connect once with those.

As I used to say... if you're gonna hit me, you better hit me hard because that's the only one you're gonna get :rolleye0012: Luckily, I didn't have to get into many fights when I was younger.