PDA

View Full Version : Got to rebuild a 4.5" lift.....

Dredwolf
09-19-2012, 09:40 AM
I have a '99 XJ with what measures to be a 4.5" lift, with some obvious Rusty's components. However, the coil spacers are double stacked, and looks to be trimmed with a hacksaw, and the rear aal's were assembled in the middle of the pack, making for a mess and unsupported main leaf that will fail. Lower arms look ok, XJ runs down the highway at 70 with no death wobble and tracks fine. It even flexes okay. But I want to make it right.

If I buy a whole lift kit with springs, I kill my budget for anything else that I know will show up as I am trying to make this XJ work. I want to buy components, and balance the lift with a shackle relocation kit. My dream is to one day have this XJ so that I can drive my 4x4 in Moab, so I want to do this right, and not waste anything.

I am looking at Rubicon Express, Rustys, and Rough County for 4.5" coils and 3.5" springs. Shackle relocation brackets will be either Rough Country or HD Offroad Engineering. If the control arms need to go, I am looking to replacements from IronMan4x4.

I know Rubicon Express changed hands, so to speak.:confused: Opinions on the three to get components from?

4.3LXJ
09-19-2012, 09:53 AM
I have the old RE springs. No complaints. I haven't heard any complaints about the new stuff yet. RC is cheaper, but does have some failures. Warranty is good though

Dredwolf
09-19-2012, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the info, I have lost my mind trying to search all the boards for info....so many threads about this one and that one "are complete junk", and now, with RE's change, lots of loud opinions that they will be junk too.

My budget for the gearing, lockers, flares and lift rebuild won't cover a set of Deavers (or I would be looking at long arms/links), so I am trying for "works pretty good" at this point, with 4.5" or so of lift.
I can't build a off-road only rig, I have no real tow vehicle or trailer at this point, so decent highway manners are important.

bluedragon436
09-19-2012, 11:11 AM
I have Rusty's coils and springs under my XJ and have had no issues with them in over 2 years of daily highway driving and playing around on the weekends.. I know they are pretty decently priced for just those parts alone through the site... I know RC usually will do a good deal if you call them on the phone directly to order them... and they do have a really good warranty... I haven't heard anything concrete on the new RE stuff... AS far as the arms if they will work go with what you already have... if not... the IronMan4x4 stuff is def stout and will hold up to whatever you can throw at them..

Dredwolf
09-19-2012, 12:09 PM
And before someone points it out, I mean Ironman4x4Fab for the control arms, because anything with an anvil adds awesomeness.

I know an XJ is never "done", but I am going for simply "works" and can be counted on for a monthly club ride, or Sunday exploring.

Sneedle Vision
09-19-2012, 12:49 PM
I have the old RE springs. No complaints. I haven't heard any complaints about the new stuff yet.

x2

My brother has RE springs on his ZJ and hasn't had any issues either. Says he really likes 'em.

4.3LXJ
09-19-2012, 02:48 PM
My opinion is that most springs are good, but some are better than others.

Dredwolf
09-19-2012, 03:01 PM
x2

My brother has RE springs on his ZJ and hasn't had any issues either. Says he really likes 'em.

So two votes for RE and one for Rusty's, and a acknowledgement that RC has a solid warranty.

Anybody certain on how many leaves are in the respective packs?

Is "break-in" sag on new leaves a good sign of flex? Am I dumb(er) trying 3.5" leaves instead of 4.5" that may sag?

No bumpers or winch yet, but they will be coming.

07Negative
09-19-2012, 05:38 PM
Rusty's coils are actually damn good. I didn't like their leafs so I replaced mine whit Clayton's. I'll be replacing the front coils (Rusty's) with Claytons shortly. I have Rusty's 4.5" short control arms both upper and lower. The bushings went fast b/c I have oil leaks like crazy.
I love my Clayton leafs. You'll for sure be broke after buying them. But damn are they smooth! 4.5" lifts ride harsh. I'd suggest a long arm kit. I would never put RC products on my jeep. Personally I think it's junk. R.E is owned by the same company that owns 4Wheels Parts.

XJ Wheeler
09-19-2012, 05:39 PM
I've been running a R.E. 4.5" superflex kit for about 7 years now. I can and will surely say their stuff is quality, nothing broken in that time. Although i don't get to drive it much. In my opinion its a bit stiff, especially the rear. I attribute the front being like that due to having short arms.

My leaf springs are 3.5" and have 6 leaves, along with 1 1/4" shackles btw. Its usually better for flex and ride quality to substitute a lift shackle to gain some of the lift instead of all spring.

Dredwolf
09-19-2012, 11:24 PM
Okay, good stuff coming out in this thread....I know long arms and linked rear are the ideal way to go, but I am trying to get this XJ trail-functional and road-worthy on a budget for this year. A budget is why I am looking at LockRite and Powertrax instead of ARB and Dynatrac

Sounds like Rustys and RE are the best on components on a budget, but if I needed to lift a stock XJ on a budget, RC would be the way to go.

I have to get the drivetrain working as well...if it does not take all of the budget amount, I might could swing Clayton leaves. I know the short arms limit things by design, but its what I have right now. I will be reinforcing the unibody anyway, so maybe long arms after I get everything working.

bigjim350
09-19-2012, 11:58 PM
My RC coils and leafs ride just fine. I know everybody bad mouths short arms, but I drive mine around 100 miles a day on short arms with 6.5" of lift. Is it smooth? no. But rides about the same as a 3/4 ton truck which to me is fine.

oderdene
09-20-2012, 07:40 PM
Rusty's 3" HD coil is good for custom bumper and winch pair for me, also with their 3" shocks

Dredwolf
09-24-2012, 06:26 PM
Okay, I am looking at RE 4.5" coils and RE 3.5" springs at this point. Thanks for all the info, I will be ordering these parts this week once I track down the best price. I do prefer to send my money to forum vendors where possible.

Dredwolf
09-26-2012, 10:29 PM
Okay, I am looking at RE 4.5" coils and RE 3.5" springs at this point. Thanks for all the info, I will be ordering these parts this week once I track down the best price. I do prefer to send my money to forum vendors where possible.

Well, I just placed an order for the RE 4.5" coils and 3.5" leaf springs....it has begun!:D

TeXJ
10-02-2012, 02:12 PM
What are you meaning by a shackle relocation? Also great choice on the RE stuff. I have had my kit since 2003 and just now, due to me not greasing my joints :( , My front superflex joints are worn. Which is my fault. I put s10 springs in the rear of my jeep and those need to be replaced so i am looking for replacements.

denverd1
10-02-2012, 02:32 PM
Well, I just placed an order for the RE 4.5" coils and 3.5" leaf springs....it has begun!:D

Atta boy!!! I've got 4.5" RE springs and shorties on the front it pokes it out pretty good!

Dredwolf
10-02-2012, 09:49 PM
What are you meaning by a shackle relocation? Also great choice on the RE stuff. I have had my kit since 2003 and just now, due to me not greasing my joints :( , My front superflex joints are worn. Which is my fault. I put s10 springs in the rear of my jeep and those need to be replaced so i am looking for replacements.

For shackle relocation, I mean like the kits offered by RC or HD Offroad Engineering....

http://www.jeepinoutfitters.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=2643

http://www.hdoffroadengineering.com/collections/frontpage/products/xj-shackle-relocation-kit

My XJ is lifted with a serious mish-mash of cut spacers, aal's and cheap lift shackles from chain auto-parts stores:bang:...but it looks "right" to me with 33" tires and what I am estimating to be a 4.5" lift with trimmed fenders. I am am trying to "rebuild" the lift with quality parts, and keep the ride height. Figured a good starting point would be 3.5" springs and 4.5" coils, and I can add shackles (like Iron Man Andy's) and the relocation kits to get the shackle angle and lift "fine tuned" in the rear.

Dredwolf
10-02-2012, 10:03 PM
Atta boy!!! I've got 4.5" RE springs and shorties on the front it pokes it out pretty good!

The parts arrived Monday, I plan to install the front coils first, and see where I end up on ride height. I still have to add a bumper and winch, so we'll see how this works out.

XJ Wheeler
10-02-2012, 10:15 PM
The parts arrived Monday, I plan to install the front coils first, and see where I end up on ride height. I still have to add a bumper and winch, so we'll see how this works out.

Keep in mind when you do it springs can settle, and like you mentioned, adding weight.

Dredwolf
10-02-2012, 10:41 PM
Keep in mind when you do it springs can settle, and like you mentioned, adding weight.

Right, I am hoping spacers will address whatever settling I have once the other gear is installed..or I can try another set of coils.

Hopefully this will work.

4.3LXJ
10-02-2012, 11:11 PM
Coil springs don't settle much. It is leaves that will settle

denverd1
10-04-2012, 10:35 AM
http://www.tuninglinx.com/html/car-tire-date-code.html