PDA

View Full Version : Over heat... 1988 XJ

Shaneman
09-17-2012, 03:39 PM
What can I do to change the cooling system on this XJ? I have been wheeling in it twice.. First time it was 104 outsise. Second time maybe 80 uotside and it decides to grt hot on the 2nd... I have 233,xxx trailered it for first and drove 30 min on 2nd trip.... I have read that you guys have changed radiators but when I search I can't find posts.....
Thanks in advance for help!

Be safe,
Shaneman:sign0181:

4.3LXJ
09-17-2012, 03:50 PM
Mudderoy has a new kick but aluminum radiator he will be installing soon. In the mean time, are all the parts there? Both shrouds, efan working, clutch fan operating properly? Radiator flushed?

Mudderoy
09-17-2012, 04:56 PM
My father in-law has a 2 door 96 XJ that was running hot on him. My brother in-law was talking to a guy that works for either the city of Houston, or Harris County that services all the vehicles. There are a bunch of XJ in public works, I think, anyway he said the number 1 thing they do is replace the radiator. About every 5 years. They clog up, and it's just not worth the time or expense to clean them out.

Shaneman
09-17-2012, 08:30 PM
Awesome guys.. Thanks for replies. Soory, my XJ is a1988.. probably original equipment! I am going to replace the radiator but i want to change it so i have a radiator cap instead of a plastic bowl.... i was trying to find some posts.. i know i saw the posts on this site but i can't find them...
MUDDEROY i hope you get your new one in soon. Please let me know how you like it...

Best regards
Shaneman

4.3LXJ
09-17-2012, 08:44 PM
Easily done Shane. All you need is the later tstat housing, radiator hose, whatever it takes to redo your heater hoses and of course the radiator. It all bolts in

Shaneman
09-17-2012, 09:30 PM
Not sure what you mean... Sorry i am new at this.. Are you saying take a later model xj and take radiator and hoses and they should bolt in? That would be so cool... Man i had to move XJ out of the place i work at because i was getting NO work done... So now i have to work on my time management better... i am sure you guys know what i am talking about.. i am really getting in to this XJ stuff... Thanks for your help guys...

Shaneman

4.3LXJ
09-17-2012, 09:39 PM
The 92 and up, non Renix era radiator will bolt right in. The only difference is that is has a fill spout. The 92 and up thermostat housing uses a real radiator hose instead of a heater hose and tank. The fitted radiator hose will go directly to the radiator. Then the only thing left is to take care of your heater hoses and you have it. You should be able to do it in an afternoon if you have all the stuff.

XJ Wheeler
09-17-2012, 10:27 PM
Shane, what you are looking to do is convert your cooling system which is known as a closed system to an open system (what 4.3lxj is referring to by 92+). Its fairly easy and if you need to replace those components anyways its a no brainer.

Shaneman
09-18-2012, 08:49 AM
OK... I am in! I am not sure about all the parts I need so how do I go about ordering the right parts? Can you guys give me any recommendations to start the process of gathering the parts I need... I am not looking to get ripped off or waist time..

Shaneman

bigjim350
09-18-2012, 09:40 AM
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=496036

Shaneman
10-12-2012, 02:29 PM
Anybody out there hard headed? My mechanic buddy has been telling me to replace the cap for 3 months.... I relaced cap for $5.00 and not even crossing the 210 mark.....

Hope you all have a great weekend...
Shaneman