PDA

View Full Version : Droopy Headliner?

Mudderoy
09-15-2012, 06:56 PM
Well it wasn't on the list today, but the wife started watching videos about how to remove the headliner board from the 1999 Jeep, so yeah means I removed it.

:link: (http://www.wlsheadliners.com/)

Carves
09-15-2012, 07:56 PM
You got a corncob pipe to go with that hat .. ??

:poke: .... :D:D

Dont forget the detailed writeup of removal, repair & refitting ....

... as I could probably appreciate it in a month or so .. ;)

bigjim350
09-15-2012, 07:59 PM
Headliners are super easy. I use to do them for small carlots while i was in highschool to make extra money. I never bought a headliner "kit" Would just go to the upholstry shop down the street and buy the headliner material. Also In my experiance the 3M #77 is the best adhesive to use.

Mudderoy
09-15-2012, 08:44 PM
Headliners are super easy. I use to do them for small carlots while i was in highschool to make extra money. I never bought a headliner "kit" Would just go to the upholstry shop down the street and buy the headliner material. Also In my experiance the 3M #77 is the best adhesive to use.

Did the material have the foam on the back of it?

Mudderoy
09-15-2012, 08:53 PM

bigjim350
09-15-2012, 09:24 PM
Did the material have the foam on the back of it?

Sure does, as any true headliner material should. Buy it by the yard, pretty cheap too.

Jeepster19
09-15-2012, 09:47 PM
Looks fairly easy,can you buy that stuff online or I'd you get it local?I need to re-do the material on the overhead console,do you use the same material?Just wondering because it looks a little thick.

bigjim350
09-15-2012, 09:50 PM
For the overhead console I would use a matching color material without the foam backing. Its easy to get the material to stick to plastic (like the console). So look at walmart or some place like that and see if you can find some to match, will work just fine.

Mudderoy
09-15-2012, 09:56 PM
Sure does, as any true headliner material should. Buy it by the yard, pretty cheap too.

Ahhh good. I figured it was just material and showed every nat's ass bump that was left on the board. That's why I got this kit, for the foam on the back. :D

Joliet Johnny
09-16-2012, 01:28 AM
I was thinking about replacing my cloth headliner with vinyl.

bluedragon436
09-16-2012, 08:50 AM
I will be doing this to my headliner after I take care of the DW and steering wheel issue... Where did you pick up the kit from?? And did it come with the adhesive and the brush??

Mudderoy
09-16-2012, 09:37 AM
I will be doing this to my headliner after I take care of the DW and steering wheel issue... Where did you pick up the kit from?? And did it come with the adhesive and the brush??

http://www.wlsheadliners.com/ It's not a kit, you buy what you need. Well I think it comes with one can of adhesive, but I selected the best 3M they had and got 2 cans.

Mudderoy
09-16-2012, 03:48 PM

Okay I don't mind working on the Jeep so much as I hate HATE getting so damn hot.

Bbasso
09-16-2012, 09:31 PM
Very nice results.

saar
09-17-2012, 07:53 AM
Very nice job.
It is such a fun driving the jeep after that change (had it down for months till I fixed that...) 6 hours later, head gasket broke... :)

Mudderoy
09-17-2012, 08:55 AM
If you are interesting in some more information about the installation of this headliner, I speak about it in this weeks' XJ TALK SHOW! episode. 46.

https://jeeptalkshow.com

bluedragon436
09-17-2012, 11:21 AM
Should of had your daughter out there helping you out, then you wouldn't have been so hot.. Isn't she the one the gets to enjoy the fruits of your labors??

TimmyTXJ
10-03-2012, 03:27 PM
I took my headliner down yesterday for the same reason. I'm going to recover it with whatever funky fabric I can find at the hobby store down the road. Wasn't sure what adhesive to use untill I read this thread, thanks guys!

XJ4IV
10-03-2012, 09:14 PM
looks great!, I had an issue two or three years ago and I went to a fabric shop to buy some replacement material but I couldnt find anything that color matched so I was ACTUALLY able to get some micro fiber remnants for 13$ and a can of the #77 as stated above so my whole repalcement set me back like 26$ and the outcome was AWESOME!

Mudderoy
10-04-2012, 01:02 AM
I think I made it clear in early post, but just in case...

If you don't have the foam backing on the material then I'm thinking it's going to look very different than a factory install. I know you may not care about that, and that's fine.

Actually if someone has some pictures of your install with just plain fabric, and not the foam/sponge backed stuff, I'd like to see it.

Carves
10-04-2012, 07:50 AM
Nice tidy job Mudderoy :thumbsup:

Doesnt appear to have any gnats ass bumps or anything :D:D

Mudderoy
10-04-2012, 09:22 AM
Nice tidy job Mudderoy :thumbsup:

Doesnt appear to have any gnats ass bumps or anything :D:D

Yeah I think the foam takes care of a lot of imperfections that you'd see with thin, plain, material. That's one of the reasons I was asking for pictures.

TimmyTXJ
10-04-2012, 09:42 AM
Good points. I'll make sure to either use a thicker fabric with a pattern that hides bumps or put some sort of batting inbetween the fabric and the liner. Either way, I'll take pictures of the finished product.

willcomsto
10-04-2012, 10:37 AM
I was thinking about replacing my cloth headliner with vinyl.

DONT DO IT! unless you have rediculous amnounts of patience, and a massivley strong adhesive, it was too heavy for the headliner board. I did it myself about two weeks ago, and the first time the roof got warm, it crashed down over my head. I replaced it with a lighter, more flexible fabric, and the edges were better, the headliner was lighter, and it was 100% easier to get back up for trim installation.

Just my 0.02

Mudderoy
10-04-2012, 10:42 AM
DONT DO IT! unless you have rediculous amnounts of patience, and a massivley strong adhesive, it was too heavy for the headliner board. I did it myself about two weeks ago, and the first time the roof got warm, it crashed down over my head. I replaced it with a lighter, more flexible fabric, and the edges were better, the headliner was lighter, and it was 100% easier to get back up for trim installation.

Just my 0.02

Great info, thanks. :thumbsup:

4.3LXJ
10-04-2012, 10:53 AM
I have done it on another XJ I rolled with regular fabric from the fabric store. It shows every little irregularity. Not bad unless you look up. But the foam backed stuff looks much better

Mudderoy
10-04-2012, 10:57 AM
I have done it on another XJ I rolled with regular fabric from the fabric store. It shows every little irregularity. Not bad unless you look up. But the foam backed stuff looks much better

I think I've said it before, but it really depends on your goal. If you're just trying to put something up there for your trail rig, or you don't care to have that factory appearance, there are much cheaper alternatives.

Nothing wrong with doing it this way, it just wasn't the direction I went.

I think you all know that how my daily driver looks, as well as the other Jeeps in the Mudderoy fleet, is important to me and those driving them. :D

willcomsto
10-04-2012, 11:14 AM
Actually, the fabric I redid my headliner, trim and center console with was pretty thin flexible stuff, but I liked the look of it. I did have issues with it showing every single imperfection, and I had to do it a few times to get it right.

TimmyTXJ
10-06-2012, 06:22 AM
Turns out, the fabric store near my place sells headliner material! Unfortunately, they only had black (my interior is gray). I couldn't find a funky material wide enough so I ended up getting a slightly textured grey one. I used spray adhesive to attach the thin material to the spongy black headliner material. Today I have to figure out how to repair the backing that held the original headliner... it's missing a chunk on the passenger side. I'll post pictures as promised later, wish me luck!

4.3LXJ
10-06-2012, 07:00 AM
God luck Tim

TimmyTXJ
10-07-2012, 07:05 AM
Thanks man! So far, so good. I scored a sweet set of wheels and tires yesterday that have shifted my focus a bit. They're machined aluminum TJ wheels but I don't want "bright" on my Jeep so I'm painting 'em.

TimmyTXJ
10-08-2012, 09:47 AM
Some pictures of the headliner project as promised.

This is the headliner I took out of the Jeep.
http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q776/TimmyTXJ/2012-10-02_19-02-08_230_zps43401b66.jpg

It's in pretty sad condition. The passenger side is was ripped to pieces so I had to come up with a way to fix it. I ended up making a cardboard template from the good side. I cut it out, flipped it over, and taped it to the bad side. Then I used fiberglass to set it in place more permanently. Don't know if it'll work... I'm making this up as I go. :)
http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q776/TimmyTXJ/2012-10-06_08-53-10_654_zps441ca98d.jpg

I used spray adhesive to attach the cloth to the headliner material I got at the fabric store.
http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q776/TimmyTXJ/2012-10-05_18-33-32_91_zpsdaf7a520.jpg

Unfortunately, I didn't use enough hardner in the fiberglass resin so I'm not ready to marry the two together yet.

4.3LXJ
10-08-2012, 10:33 AM
Looks like a good job on recreating the missing part

LizardRunner
10-12-2012, 08:39 AM
If that glass doesn't harden after two days, it never will without some added catalyst brushed on. Use one of the sponge, throw away brushes and go lightly over the area with about 6 drops of kicker in the brush tip, that should allow the resin to fully harden with out having to start over. Looks like you did a good job of saving a hard to find piece too:cheerleader:

TimmyTXJ
10-14-2012, 11:54 AM
If that glass doesn't harden after two days, it never will without some added catalyst brushed on. Use one of the sponge, throw away brushes and go lightly over the area with about 6 drops of kicker in the brush tip, that should allow the resin to fully harden with out having to start over. Looks like you did a good job of saving a hard to find piece too:cheerleader:
Thanks for the advice Chip! I came to that same conclusion a few days ago and added a little hardener to the glass that wasn't setting. Everything has set up beautifully now. I trimmed the excess glass with a dremel yesterday and glued on the headliner. Unfortunately, it set with more wrinkles than I would have preferred (Tony set the bar high with the job he did). I'll take a pic and post it later. I've got one more trick up my sleeve to fix it. If I doesn't come out this next try I'll just put it back in as-is. Wish me luck!

Mudderoy
10-14-2012, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the advice Chip! I came to that same conclusion a few days ago and added a little hardener to the glass that wasn't setting. Everything has set up beautifully now. I trimmed the excess glass with a dremel yesterday and glued on the headliner. Unfortunately, it set with more wrinkles than I would have preferred (Tony set the bar high with the job he did). I'll take a pic and post it later. I've got one more trick up my sleeve to fix it. If I doesn't come out this next try I'll just put it back in as-is. Wish me luck!

lol and I was feeling bad about my wrinkles!

TimmyTXJ
10-22-2012, 03:03 PM
lol and I was feeling bad about my wrinkles!

A few is no big deal... but that first go around my headliner looked like raisin! I managed to peel the thin layer back and re-set it with some more glue. I went much slower this time and I think the results were well worth it.
http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q776/TimmyTXJ/2012-10-22_13-42-40_108_zps9ae639bc.jpg

I put some intermediate pictures in my build thread if anyone is interested. Scratch one more project off thie list! :)

LizardRunner
10-23-2012, 01:51 PM
Great job that is.

sinat
06-05-2013, 12:32 PM
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/942368_641631522520090_963167157_n.jpg
i like mine :D

XJ Wheeler
06-05-2013, 03:40 PM
Man, this is making me want to redo mine. Especially now that i have the sound bar to go with it. :D

editedforsafety
06-05-2013, 06:22 PM
I need to do mine. I'm saving it for my vacation in a few weeks.

Bookster
08-06-2013, 12:46 AM
Oh hi I'm Greg
I bought a 1987 jeep for daughter
she loved it then returned it to me in 1 day
Not up for the work it needs she wants Brand new
to bad for her I'm going to make it better than new.
http://www.wlsheadliners.com
Great site
I just ordered the kit added 1 more can of adhesive and 3 Yards extra.
Pure White. and the Brush too.
wish me well.

Mudderoy
08-06-2013, 01:04 AM
Oh hi I'm Greg
I bought a 1987 jeep for daughter
she loved it then returned it to me in 1 day
Not up for the work it needs she wants Brand new
to bad for her I'm going to make it better than new.
http://www.wlsheadliners.com
Great site
I just ordered the kit added 1 more can of adhesive and 3 Yards extra.
Pure White. and the Brush too.
wish me well.

lol brand new, I'd buy her a new pair of shoes, something comfortable for walking. :smiley-laughing021:

Yep, we haven't had any problems with the headliner in the 99. All is still good! :D

Bookster
08-06-2013, 10:54 AM
I'm doing mad searching for correct way to paint the plastic parts.
some of the parts are not the tan/mustard color and need attention.
I want to do a full white out of the jeep, inside and out.

New to Jeeps not new to hard difficult work.

Bookster
08-06-2013, 11:23 AM
Oh a few questions.
Not sure who owned it B4 me but there are a ton of screws in the roof and it is leaking when it rains. so the screws got to go and spot welding each hole, grind putty and prime.
Should I Paint the headliner board to seal it? Also I want different lighting inside, a full array of speakers. Fiberglass the holes install cut new out, glass in for strength?
I see the beams for roof support, can I use them to help hold the new toys I'm adding?

reddragon72
08-07-2013, 03:42 PM
I ripped that whole thing out and replaced it with this.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_14545-46086-202059_4294858106__?productId=3125297&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FgoToProdList%3Dtrue%26Ns%3Dp_product _qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=

Brasscatz
08-07-2013, 05:55 PM
hmmm, interesting. What was your main goal by using the foam?

TheDude
08-07-2013, 07:46 PM
This thread makes me want to fix up my headliner. God knows it needs it..

Mudderoy
08-07-2013, 11:26 PM
This thread makes me want to fix up my headliner. God knows it needs it..

My girls were using pieces of cardboard wedged into the trim to keep it out of the driver's eyes.

It took a few hours to do, never having done it before, but once done, should be done for a long time!

Bookster
08-15-2013, 12:04 AM
Not an easy task getting all the plastic and sheet metal out of the way. The lights are held in with push on washers so I will need to get those replaced. Due to the fact that my roof leaked for god knows how long. my board has begun delaminating. Now it's puffy and very weak. 1 Visor corner broke off, so doing the fiberglass fix. there are 12 screws that go from outside to the steel ribs well 11 1 is gone. should I remove weld up holes? Also there are 12 more screws that border the roof and are torx head the go in to rubber holding nothing? The roof rack is there and it has 12 more screws. I think they all need go with the roof rack any ideas?

Sneedle Vision
10-03-2013, 11:55 PM
http://www.xjtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=608&thumb=1&d=1347828431

Okay I don't mind working on the Jeep so much as I hate HATE getting so damn hot.

Maybe I missed it, but what color did you order? There are about 5 different shades of gray and your choice seems to match the visors extremely well.

saar
10-04-2013, 02:12 AM
Maybe I missed it, but what color did you order? There are about 5 different shades of gray and your choice seems to match the visors extremely well.

While you are there... replace the visors fiber as well. it is 10 minutes of work for each one of them.
That way, you will have a perfect match.
Saar

Mudderoy
10-04-2013, 09:18 AM

I'll have to go back and see if I can find the order. They don't match, really.

Mudderoy
10-04-2013, 09:27 AM
While you are there... replace the visors fiber as well. it is 10 minutes of work for each one of them.
That way, you will have a perfect match.
Saar

I think the place I got the material from they want you to send your visors to them to cover them, and seems like it was $60 to do it.

Bookster
10-04-2013, 10:26 AM
http://www.wlsheadliners.com/cherokee-explorer-s10-blazer-ramcharger-headliner-kit.html I got the 1600 pure White redu all the trim Pure white as well new dash carpet will be black. I'm still working all the bugs out seats will be white and black as well as door panels. My god what a mess I need to weld in a few spots on the floor alle new seat belts. Not sure how I'm going to fix headliner board it's so fuzzy and delaminated. Thinking an epoxy paint roll it on and then shrink wrap and roll the heck out of it squeez the paint thru the board. Realy not sure what rout to go? Oh and the duplicolor Plastic primer causes fish eye in plastic paint. So mad I could spit nails. 20+ pieces have to be striped and shot again. Spent a huge amout of time fixing each piece perfect JB Cold weld with aloy mesh backing lots of flex bondo. prime paint just to see it all go to waste with crap a$$ primer. Being a truck drive I have very little time at home.

Bookster
10-04-2013, 10:29 AM
And what a wiring nightmare. Last fool owner felt is would be nice to just cut what ever they didn't think they needed. Factory book will work out great when I get there.

2WDUnderachiever
10-04-2013, 10:39 AM
I'm thinking I'm going to sand the fiberglass headliner panel down a bit then bedline it, and never have to worry about sagging again... Any thoughts?

nickyg
10-04-2013, 11:37 AM
http://www.wlsheadliners.com/cherokee-explorer-s10-blazer-ramcharger-headliner-kit.html I got the 1600 pure White redu all the trim Pure white as well new dash carpet will be black.

Pure white?? Your a brave man.. I've been thinking about re doing my headliner to match my seats. what color is ketchup?

nickyg
10-04-2013, 12:03 PM
I'm thinking I'm going to sand the fiberglass headliner panel down a bit then bedline it, and never have to worry about sagging again... Any thoughts?

I did my speaker bar with cheap walmart black spray paint. I put on one coat, hit it with 400 grit then painted one more coat.

Brasscatz
10-04-2013, 01:38 PM
Pure white?? Your a brave man.. I've been thinking about re doing my headliner to match my seats. what color is ketchup?

pink....

Sneedle Vision
10-04-2013, 09:47 PM
I'll have to go back and see if I can find the order. They don't match, really.

Well, that's disappointing. Pictures be foolin!

Dredwolf
10-04-2013, 10:47 PM
I've got to do mine now....moved it around the yard today, and apparently the headliner gave up the ghost.

Saw the part about once you clean off the old fabric and foam, brushing on a good coat of fiberglass resin to reinforce the board, that makes good sense to me.

saar
10-05-2013, 12:44 AM
I think the place I got the material from they want you to send your visors to them to cover them, and seems like it was $60 to do it.

The sun visors work is very easy, here are some pictures (forgive me for the low quality, phone camera, and forgive me for the hairy leg in one of the pictures :D )

http://www.jeepsallover.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=134&d=1380951091&stc=1

http://www.jeepsallover.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=135&d=1380951095&stc=1

http://www.jeepsallover.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=137&d=1380951105&stc=1

http://www.jeepsallover.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=136&d=1380951101&stc=1

the most important picture, here is how you install it, you just push the fabric into the slot:

http://www.jeepsallover.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=138&d=1380951109&stc=1

http://www.jeepsallover.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=139&d=1380951118&stc=1

lilgamoma
12-02-2013, 10:36 AM
I did my speaker bar with cheap walmart black spray paint. I put on one coat, hit it with 400 grit then painted one more coat.
That looks good and sounds simple & cheap. I may do this when the weather warms back up.

ParadiseXJ
12-03-2013, 04:54 PM
Saw the part about once you clean off the old fabric and foam, brushing on a good coat of fiberglass resin to reinforce the board, that makes good sense to me.

The headliner board sucks up an AMAZING amount of resin VERY fast. Having done one headliner in my XJ and one that really needed reconstruction in my MJ I think I'd be more inclined to spray on some sort of sealant or poly to stiffen the board up and not load so much resin in there. Once the thing is put together and UP, there's really no need for strength or reinforcement. It just sits there, the less weight the better.

Bookster
07-22-2014, 04:13 PM
My visors don't look anything like that I thinking send them in and get the fix done by the pros

The custom roll-cage bolt in is going ok.
The headliner is still on hold.
I took garage pro floor sealer and mopped it in to the fuzz.
and took Garage pro white to it as well.
Multiple cracks it the board and they keep growing.
I have Glassed almost the entire head board.

I have dropped way to much time into this and it has gained 5 pounds easy
Looking for new NOS Headliner board before I go to next step.

Dredwolf
08-17-2014, 10:47 PM
My visors don't look anything like that I thinking send them in and get the fix done by the pros

The custom roll-cage bolt in is going ok.
The headliner is still on hold.
I took garage pro floor sealer and mopped it in to the fuzz.
and took Garage pro white to it as well.
Multiple cracks it the board and they keep growing.
I have Glassed almost the entire head board.

I have dropped way to much time into this and it has gained 5 pounds easy
Looking for new NOS Headliner board before I go to next step.
Has anybody found a solution to reinforce the old headboard without too much weight?

Anybody know anything about marine resin, or maybe some other coating?

autotech98
09-02-2014, 07:13 PM
looks great! i just used some navy paterned digital camo,no foam backing. same stuff they make the uniforms from so it doesn't stretch.little more difficult but i like the results.also figured out how to recover sunvisors to match

XJ Wheeler
09-02-2014, 10:23 PM
looks great! i just used some navy paterned digital camo,no foam backing. same stuff they make the uniforms from so it doesn't stretch.little more difficult but i like the results.also figured out how to recover sunvisors to match

I gotta see this! Sounds awesome!

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

autotech98
09-03-2014, 12:41 AM
I'll take some pics and try to upload them on here.also want to send some pics of "old blue".my wife laughs at that nickname for the xj.

bruggz351
09-03-2014, 01:11 AM
I also did what saar did, with the visors. Only I separated the two halves.

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m596/bruggz351/JEEP/IMAG0047_zpse4e6688f.jpg
http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m596/bruggz351/JEEP/IMAG0046_zps4d3f28b3.jpg

Used the old cover for a template...
http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m596/bruggz351/JEEP/IMAG0043_zps25ca5e88.jpg

... removed the mirror assembly...
http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m596/bruggz351/JEEP/IMAG0044_zps5e6803be.jpg
http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m596/bruggz351/JEEP/IMAG0045_zpsc1ffde11.jpg

... and finished product, didn't take any pics actually fitting the material but, I sewed the camo to the original, and re-installed.
http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m596/bruggz351/JEEP/IMAG0048_zps751738c6.jpg
http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m596/bruggz351/JEEP/IMAG0049_zpsb94dd42f.jpg
http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m596/bruggz351/JEEP/IMAG0050_zps900e903c.jpg
http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m596/bruggz351/JEEP/IMAG0051_zps12db5f40.jpg

:D

cheers

autotech98
09-03-2014, 01:41 AM
Here is a pic of mine

autotech98
09-03-2014, 01:42 AM
5959:cool:5958

Here is a pic of mine

XJ Wheeler
09-03-2014, 03:48 AM
5959:cool:5958

Nice! :thumbsup:

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

autotech98
09-09-2014, 10:05 AM
Hey xj just took some pics of it installed59985999

autotech98
09-09-2014, 10:06 AM
Sorry about double pics for some readon phone sends them twice

4.3LXJ
09-09-2014, 10:07 AM
Now your headliner will blend in :D

autotech98
09-09-2014, 10:12 AM
Thanks.just wanted to try something different.

XJ Wheeler
09-09-2014, 06:39 PM
Hey xj just took some pics of it installed59985999

Lookin good! Ya got me thinking. I was just gonna go with a stock looking grey but might as well go custom right!

autotech98
09-09-2014, 06:42 PM
Every little mod makes it custom.and thanks i get a lot of comments on it

autotech98
09-09-2014, 06:54 PM
If my xj was green i would have went with the air force pattern digital camo..as i was in the airforce..but i went with the navy pattern since mine is gunmetal pearl..or light blue to most people:-)

XJ Wheeler
09-09-2014, 07:58 PM
If my xj was green i would have went with the air force pattern digital camo..as i was in the airforce..but i went with the navy pattern since mine is gunmetal pearl..or light blue to most people:-)

Yeah, mine is blue too and to be honest i can't stand typical camo on vehicles. Now a digital camo is awesome in my opinion and especially in a blue or gray.

autotech98
09-10-2014, 09:13 PM
I would love to wrap the whole think in digital camo..lol. would be a little expesive