PDA

View Full Version : Going Doorless in 1997+ XJ

Kimber6331
09-11-2012, 05:00 PM
Anybody with a 1997+ XJ do it yet? All i have seen are threads for pre-1997. I have an 01 xj and I know hinges are different on 1997+, including body side of hinge actually being welded to the frame. Really want to do this for fun while the weather last and Im waiting for stuff to come in. Someone told me I would have to replace the entire pin instead of cutting OM pins like in pre-1997 hinges. this true? what would work best? I was thinking something like a quick release pin for a hitch or tow package. not too worried about doors being perfectly aligned, just want an easier way to go doorless instead of unbolting entire door from hinge (did this, it worked, it SUCKS). I want to make a thread too if theres not one on here already. any help?

NW99XJ
09-11-2012, 05:10 PM
From what I know... and this is merely shooting from the hip here.... you remove the hinge pin----forever modifying how the door is secured to the hinge. Cutting the old one out, and using a dowell pin, or clevis pin of some sort.
They never seat right after that, and unless you get creative, you loose all the electronics, (ie; PW/PD/PM)
I've seen a couple threads around the intraweb about this... and the feedback isnt all that great. Now if this is a dedicated trail rig, and if you live in a warmer/dryer climate, then it's not that big of a deal.

4.3LXJ
09-11-2012, 05:20 PM
I have to agree with Josh. There are a number of things I have heard tried. Some cut the bottom part of the door hinge off and just set the door in. But I don't think I like that from my perspective of maintaining a daily driver. I see lots of rattles there. An easily removable pin would do the same thing I think. The door electrics is not a problem with a plug located in the kick panel. But small PITA there. Personally, I would and have unbolted it and kept track of the shims.

Kimber6331
09-11-2012, 06:31 PM
honestly I kow itll sort of suck not having them align perfectly but I think I can live with it. As long as snow and rain dont get in bad Ill be ok! the summer here was 90's 100's but winter can get cold and snow here can be a *****. but like i said as long as the door does its job after i do this ill be happy. I do plan on making this a trail/bad weather rig in a couple years or so. sunday i removed driver door from hinge just playing around and what i was thinking (or would love if it worked out right) is to use a release pin like those used for a hitch/tow with the little ring on top. but recently i saw someone say a 5/16 bolt is a great fit and works fine. i dont know how you would make the bolt easy to grab and pull out though.

rowdy xj
09-11-2012, 07:22 PM
My 99 goes doorless all the time

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

rowdy xj
09-11-2012, 07:23 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/12/me2esa5e.jpg

Brasscatz
09-11-2012, 07:33 PM
. i dont know how you would make the bolt easy to grab and pull out though.

I was thinking about some sort of pull tab. The should still carry muffler strap at your local auto parts store and it's a thin metal strap with "bolt" holes in it. You can cut to length desired and you'll have a pull tab! OR... would an "eye bolt" work, or would the "eye" be too big? http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/VER0/00105/N0073.oap?ck=Search_N0073_5025907_-1&pt=N0073&ppt=C0022

rowdy xj
09-11-2012, 07:45 PM
I have pull pins and working on rewiring it so I dont have to keep unplugging them

KH96XJ
09-11-2012, 09:07 PM
I have pull pins and working on rewiring it so I dont have to keep unplugging them

If you would document how you do this I'm sure others would appreciate it. I've been wanting to do this since I made my front doors removable, just haven't gotten around to do it yet. Would be nice to still be able to put the rear windows up or down without the front doors on.

rowdy xj
09-11-2012, 09:12 PM
I'll take some pics and full details of how I did it I'll try to get that up tomorrow

Mudderoy
09-11-2012, 10:17 PM
Anybody with a 1997+ XJ do it yet? All i have seen are threads for pre-1997. I have an 01 xj and I know hinges are different on 1997+, including body side of hinge actually being welded to the frame. Really want to do this for fun while the weather last and Im waiting for stuff to come in. Someone told me I would have to replace the entire pin instead of cutting OM pins like in pre-1997 hinges. this true? what would work best? I was thinking something like a quick release pin for a hitch or tow package. not too worried about doors being perfectly aligned, just want an easier way to go doorless instead of unbolting entire door from hinge (did this, it worked, it SUCKS). I want to make a thread too if theres not one on here already. any help?

Guys don't forget about our many Articles! Rear Doorless :link: (http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=7266)

Kimber6331
09-12-2012, 08:03 PM
I actually checked that one out, but is that a rear door conversion for what looks like a pre 97 or am i missing something? i cant really tell. the front door hinges i have are doubled pressed and body side is welded to frame. and metal straps might work but theres no oreilly in maryland! :cry:

where did you get the pins you're using? ive looked around but closest things i have found are hitch pins which are way too big. do you have significant sag with them? BTW pic loooks awesome!

EricsXJ
09-12-2012, 10:43 PM
Hi guys.

Here's how you do it on a 97+

Yes you need to cut out the pin in the hinge which does permanently alter the hinge and possibly the way the doors will seal up in the future. It can be done so that your doors still seal, however if you are careless or aren't the type of person that pays attention to detail yours might not line up real well or get worse over time. When that happens some people will blame the doors, but I think most of the time it is operator error.

I cut the bottom portion of the hinge off and welded in 5/16" bolts (threaded portion removed), like so:

http://www.ericsxj.com/unibody/4280.jpg

Top hinge:
http://www.ericsxj.com/unibody/4283.jpg

Bottom hinge:
http://www.ericsxj.com/unibody/4284.jpg

Doing this allows you to slip the doors on and off by yourself. They line up just like they did before provided you bolt the hinge back onto the doors EXACTLY as they were before.

Using 5/16" bolts means you keep the brass door pin bushings, which might not be in that good shape and they have a tendency to fall out when taking the doors on and off. Mine are worn a bit so I need to find replacement bushings.

The way to avoid this is by drilling out the holes slightly to accept 3/8" bolts or pins. You will not use any bushings in this case. Over time if the pins wear out the hole and create slop then you will have problems, but I haven't heard of anyone having that particular problem yet. Keeping some grease on the pins would probably help.

Mudderoy
09-13-2012, 01:46 AM
I actually checked that one out, but is that a rear door conversion for what looks like a pre 97 or am i missing something? i cant really tell. the front door hinges i have are doubled pressed and body side is welded to frame. and metal straps might work but theres no oreilly in maryland! :cry:

where did you get the pins you're using? ive looked around but closest things i have found are hitch pins which are way too big. do you have significant sag with them? BTW pic loooks awesome!

Oh crap! You are right, it's not a 97+ Damn Scott for not buying and moding a late model XJ! Oh and me not reading, but mainly Scott. :out: