PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Pressure Hose Fitting

sjo
09-07-2012, 01:32 PM
Hi All,
My power steering pump failed. So I went down to the local u-Pick junk yard and managed to find what looks to be a serviceable replacement ...

I took the old one off, pulled the resevoir off, put it on the new one, bolted up, but when I went to put the high pressure hose on - well the fitting on the existing hose isn't the same as the port on the pump!

I believe the new pump came off a 96, and it is identical in every way except the high pressure hose connection. So my question is - do I go back and get the hose that matches the new pump? Will the steering gear connector match? If it doesn't can i splice the hose the somehow to use the two fittings I need?

Thanks
-Sam

4.3LXJ
09-07-2012, 02:19 PM
Did you replace the little O ring?

Jeepster19
09-07-2012, 05:02 PM
Go back,but take your hose to compare it to the one on the donor vehicle.Compare the two fittings on the gearbox side then you will know if it will work.:D

sjo
09-07-2012, 06:16 PM
There was an o ring between the pump and the res - are you suggesting I should have replaced with a new one?

sjo
09-07-2012, 06:22 PM
I had hoped to not have to remove the old hose from the steering gear - looking at the location, the rust, and knowing how hard it was to remove the connector from the pump - I'm sure it won't be easy. Probably the only way to know for sure though. I was just hoping someone on here might be able to save me some time, effort, and likely swearing :-)

07Negative
09-07-2012, 06:54 PM
I'm in the middle of doing this myself. I just decided it was cheap enough for me to replace the hoses. Besides, they get stuck on there pretty darn well. I know mine didn't agree with being removed. I got new hoses (both of them) for only 60. The pressure line part number is 52088489AB. Should be some where between 20-30 at a local Napa, Autozone, etc.

4.3LXJ
09-07-2012, 07:50 PM
There was an o ring between the pump and the res - are you suggesting I should have replaced with a new one?

Whenever you crack a fitting with an O ring, replace it or it will likely not seal

sjo
09-08-2012, 11:41 PM
Thanks everyone.
I picked up a new high pressure hose at NAPA.... Cost me more than my new to me pump :crazy: got everything back together, flushed all of the old garbage fluid out of the system and I can once again steer with one finger :D

XJ4IV
09-08-2012, 11:52 PM
interesting, Im about to replace my pressure line... I am trying to source it from napa but I decided that today... at 4:30... napa closes at 4:00 AutoZone didnt have one carquest didnt have it Oreilly had it but the closest oreilly was about 20 miles... Ill just wait till monday and have one brought to ME at my shop and get it discounted as well LOL