PDA

View Full Version : **Front alignment help**

rm2406
09-04-2012, 01:56 PM
hello all, i have a 95 cherokee xj all stock that i just replaced the tie rod tube.. i replaced it because it got bent by po trying to pull it out of a yard.
my question: does anyone have info for an alignment that i can do at home til i get some $?? something pretty straight foward and not complicated in details.. thanks!

Mudderoy
09-04-2012, 03:14 PM
hello all, i have a 95 cherokee xj all stock that i just replaced the tie rod tube.. i replaced it because it got bent by po trying to pull it out of a yard.
my question: does anyone have info for an alignment that i can do at home til i get some $?? something pretty straight foward and not complicated in details.. thanks!

I'm still trying to find the link that explains how do to this, but basically you take a tape measure.

On the back of your front tires you measure from the center of the tire to the center of the other tire.

Now move your tape measure to the front. Compare these two measurements. The front measurement should be 1/8" less than the back. If it isn't adjust the tie rod until it is. This would be call setting it for a slight "toe in" which help center the steering after you make a turn, or just driving straight.

rm2406
09-04-2012, 03:27 PM
when i turn my tie rod tube to make the adjustment only my drivers side moves.. to adjust the passengers side do i need to adjust my drag link? it looks like the drag link is connected to the pass side then mid-way of the drag link bar my tie rod starts there and goes to the drvrs side... right now, when i drive my drivers side makes screeching noise like a peel out when i go over or drive on soft pavement...

nickxj94
09-04-2012, 04:32 PM
Drag link adjust your steering wheel don't move it unless your steering wheel is off, the tie rod tube adjusts both tires in or out like mud was saying take a tape measure I go from the back side of front tire then measure front side if the back side is smaller number then adj the tow in till both are close to the same front side and rear side of the front tires. Its easy make sure you do it on a flat concrete surface like a garage or driveway. I've done both my xjs and two of my buddy's tjs.

rm2406
09-04-2012, 05:08 PM
sounds straight foward... ok so one last thing, my steering wheel is way off center.. by looks it looks like im making a left hand turn... from what ive looked up it says do adjustments first and center steering wheel last??? thanks for the help guys... oh one other thing, should both my tires be off the ground when making adjustments or should it be slightly jacked up a bit or on the floor??

prerunner1982
09-04-2012, 05:30 PM
If you jack up the front end, you don't have to do it much and try to get them the same height off the ground. Also instead of measuring tire to tire, try brake rotor to brake rotor. It will give you something a bit more rigid to make better measurements on. I believe there should be about 1/16" -1/8" toe in.

nickxj94
09-04-2012, 05:56 PM
sounds straight foward... ok so one last thing, my steering wheel is way off center.. by looks it looks like im making a left hand turn... from what ive looked up it says do adjustments first and center steering wheel last??? thanks for the help guys... oh one other thing, should both my tires be off the ground when making adjustments or should it be slightly jacked up a bit or on the floor??

Yes toe first then draglink, and I always do it on the ground or at work since I have access to a alignment machine and do it on a daily basis.

rm2406
12-26-2012, 11:09 AM
ok, little problem here... when i replaced my tie rod tube i forgot to measure the tie rod ends so i can put them on the new tie rod.. now drivers tire is pointing straight and passengers tire is slightly pointing outwards.. how can i measure one tire to make sure its pointing straight?? if i rotate the tube my passenger tire will line up straight but then the drivers tire will slightly pointing outward.. any thoughts are appreciated..

nickxj94
12-26-2012, 01:16 PM
You will have to knock that side off the spindle and screw it in a few threads try and count how many the other side has visiable then set the pass side to the same

rm2406
12-26-2012, 02:57 PM
ok, so basically both tie rod ends should be about the same counts of thread out? ok, i will give that a try..

nickxj94
12-26-2012, 03:17 PM
ok, so basically both tie rod ends should be about the same counts of thread out? ok, i will give that a try..

Yup

rm2406
01-03-2013, 10:57 AM
ok nickxj94, got both tre's with equal threads coming out and seems to be ALOT better driving.. thanks!