PDA

View Full Version : Control arm question

bjxj
09-04-2012, 02:20 AM
I am planning on getting a4.5 inch lift for my xj in the near future, some of the available upgrades for the lifts I am looking at are adjustable control arms and adjustable track arm, are these items something that I need to get or are they just nice luxuries. What are some of the down sides of not getting them, and which of them would be more important than the other, or do I just need to get both?

nv6r
09-04-2012, 02:39 AM
You can get by without them, but the ride would be harsh and flex would be limited. Most people -- that want to get by on the cheap -- will just drill a new hole for the track bar and just move it over a little. You can get cheapish fixed lower control arms off from ebay for around $100. My entire lift is piece-meal: I am running 4.5" coils from Fat Bob's Garage, 3" leafs from Fat Bob's, 2" lift shackles from Fat Bob's, cheap shocks from Fat Bob's, fixed length lower control arms (for 3-4.5" lift) from Fat Bob's, and I drilled my track bar mounting hole over 7/8". I have about $500 into the whole lift. I also have bar pin eliminators, but that was not a necessity, so I didn't include that in the price.

bluedragon436
09-04-2012, 03:11 AM
If you have the money to spend, I would recommend picking up the kit with the adj. track bar at least, if not the bar and the arms..

4.3LXJ
09-04-2012, 10:33 AM
I am planning on getting a4.5 inch lift for my xj in the near future, some of the available upgrades for the lifts I am looking at are adjustable control arms and adjustable track arm, are these items something that I need to get or are they just nice luxuries. What are some of the down sides of not getting them, and which of them would be more important than the other, or do I just need to get both?

If your kit comes with the proper control arms, then they are not needed. That is as long as you stay at that height. Many people want to go up further later, then you would need the adjustable arms then. Same situation with the track bar.

jschmidt250
09-04-2012, 01:31 PM
I have the RC 4.5" lift with fixed control arms. With the fixed control arms the wheels were pulled slightly to the rear and the ride was harsh. I later installed the drop brackets and the ride is like night and day because the geometry was corrected.

If I had it to do over I would have just gone with the adjustable control arms.

Mudderoy
09-04-2012, 04:46 PM
The fixed control arms that come with the RC 4.5" lift (my lift) are longer so that the front differential is rotated to maintain proper position relative to the drive shaft and transfer case.

Adjustable control arms, upper and lower allow you to "tune" the rotation of the differential to suit your needs. Like Steve said, if you go higher.

The fixed lower control arms that come with the RC kit are much beefier than the stock stamped metal, which is good. What isn't so good is that the upper control arms will still be that stamped metal, and weak.

A good compromise would be to use the fixed lowers and buy you some adjustable uppers. Then later replace the fixed lowers with adjustables.

I personally have the Ironman4x4fab.com adjustables on my XJ and I have a full set up uppers (4) for my wife's TJ. I'm doing what I'm preaching on the TJ. Fixed lowers from RC and adjustables uppers.

If you can afford it I would just get the kit and instead of wasting time on the fixed lowers, just install the adjustables. You may never adjust them, but you can if you need to plus they are a hell of a lot stronger.

Eventually I'll go to long arms, but that's a whole nuther set of decisions!

07Negative
09-05-2012, 01:36 PM
I currently run a 4.5" short arm lift. non adjustable control arms. that's both upper and lower. My Jeep rides really harsh. I've had 4 different types of a shocks too.
I would suggest going long arm if your going that high.
But if you stick with short arms. Get the adjustable kind. Both upper and lower. Most fixed control arms will bring your axle back a smiggin.
For the track bar. I personally went with an adjustable stronger track bar.
Don't forget the possibility of having to do a Slip Yoke and longer drive shafts and brake lines. Not sure what kit your looking at. Some companies offer more complete packages than others.
Is it at all possible for you to attend a meet and greet in your area? Maybe that'll give you an ideal of how some setups are before you make regretful mistakes.

LizardRunner
09-05-2012, 02:58 PM
Comfy ride = long arm, decent ride = adjustables For the track bar go ahead and get the adjustable, your suspension attachment points and your butt will thank you for it. Most people I know start at one height lift and then start moving up higher. I think it is one of the items that fall into that "It's a Jeep thing" saying. I am an example of what I'm saying here. :smiley-laughing021: