PDA

View Full Version : 2 Row or 3 Row Radiator upgrade

bigrob420247
09-03-2012, 12:03 AM
Has anyone out there swaped out the stock single row radiator to a 2 or 3 row
upgrade? What brand did you go with and how has it performed.I have been looking around online and CFS has a couple different ones and NISSEN is another brand just to name a couple. ive checked Radiator Barn,Auto parts warehouse for price comparison.Some reviews have been good, some not.Is it worth goin with the 3 row over the 2 row or will i run into installation problems?any feedback is appreciated

bigjim350
09-03-2012, 12:06 AM
Have run a 2 row and a all metal rad. Have had my best luck with a single row aluminum with wide tubes.

Carves
09-03-2012, 12:30 AM
... and just to maintain the confusion over which is best ... :D

My aftermarket, 2row copper/brass works way better ... than the factory fitted, stock, 2row aluminium did ... even from new.

Mudderoy
09-03-2012, 12:41 AM
And to further confuse the situation, my CSF 3 row copper brass was an issue for highway driving. It would heat creep up to 230. Changing to a wide tube single row aluminum/plastic resolved that issue with the exception of the hottest summer days, and then it would heat up to 225 at 70 mph.

I have read that copper/brass cools better in lower air temps, but aluminum cools better in higher air temps.

I just ordered an all aluminum 2 row with 1 inch tubes to replace my single row aluminum/plastic. The aluminum/plastic was a test to see if the CSF was causing my issue, and at least in my configuration it was.

My XJ came with a 2 row aluminum/plastic so I knew I wanted to get back to that number of rows eventually, plus I really didn't want plastic tanks.

07Negative
09-03-2012, 01:09 AM
CSF rads are a POS! Hate to say it, but drop the coin on a Griffin. Then look at the Dirt Bound Off Road triple fan. I replaced all my cooling with hesco therm housing, water pump etc. I never get above 200 even when I'm all the way down in southern Arizona. I think alot has to do with how much hot air your pushing out. Your stats say your in LV. You can add washers to your hoods hinges to create a space. Kinda like a poor mans cowl hood. Or drop a copious amount of money on a cowl hood or even fab it up on your own. There are write ups on it.

4.3LXJ
09-03-2012, 11:10 AM
DeeJay, Griffins have a good name, but I have been through two now. They epoxy the tubes into the header and they start to leak, and sad to say I have not been able to repair mine. Be Cool is a much better deal. Looking at changing the cross member and using a $250 twin 1.5" tube radiator from Summit Racing and the Taurus fan. I can keep it cool now with the kind of air I can push even with a bad head gasket, but I like the margin of safety

Mudderoy
09-03-2012, 05:28 PM
DeeJay, Griffins have a good name, but I have been through two now. They epoxy the tubes into the header and they start to leak, and sad to say I have not been able to repair mine. Be Cool is a much better deal. Looking at changing the cross member and using a $250 twin 1.5" tube radiator from Summit Racing and the Taurus fan. I can keep it cool now with the kind of air I can push even with a bad head gasket, but I like the margin of safety

1.5" that's good, the largest I found on line was 1.25"

4.3LXJ
09-03-2012, 05:30 PM
Might be 1.25", never really measured. Very thick though