PDA

View Full Version : What did you guys do with cat 02 sensor??

Chaseweston
08-28-2012, 01:06 PM
My cat ripped off my exhaust system yesterday when I came over a steep hill.
its wasn't clamped on tight enough as I had been working on it and forgot to really wrench it down before wheeling again. Anywho... it cracked my 02 sensor in half and left the wires dangling with a piece of what looks like ceramic at the end..

Question: What have you guys done with the 02 sensor in regards to aftermarket exhaust not running a cat. It threw the code, and that's annoying. I'm running a straight through set up today.

Do you guys just tie up the wires and deal with the CEL? its my daily for rainy weather and I would prefer not to lose mpg with gas back up to $4/gal.

Thanks, Chase

prcjeep
08-28-2012, 01:19 PM
My cat ripped off my exhaust system yesterday when I came over a steep hill.
its wasn't clamped on tight enough as I had been working on it and forgot to really wrench it down before wheeling again. Anywho... it cracked my 02 sensor in half and left the wires dangling with a piece of what looks like ceramic at the end..

Question: What have you guys done with the 02 sensor in regards to aftermarket exhaust not running a cat. It threw the code, and that's annoying. I'm running a straight through set up today.

Do you guys just tie up the wires and deal with the CEL? its my daily for rainy weather and I would prefer not to lose mpg with gas back up to $4/gal.

Thanks, Chase

Bigjim350 should have a good answer for you, he loves to talk about his pussy, especially over on the other cherokee jeep forum.

I would se about tapping a hole in the exhaust pipe and then screwing it back in. I think it;ll act like normal with that set up.

olds-cool
08-28-2012, 01:20 PM
My wires got ripped off the top of the sensor. Other than the stupid CEL, it's been running just fine and getting about 16.5mpg avg.

4.3LXJ
08-28-2012, 01:31 PM
Aside from saying it is illegal not to run a cat, you really do need an O2 sensor. Companies make bungs to weld into an exhaust pipe. You can get then from an exhaust shop or from Summit Racing where I got mine.

Chaseweston
08-28-2012, 01:38 PM
Aside from saying it is illegal not to run a cat, you really do need an O2 sensor. Companies make bungs to weld into an exhaust pipe. You can get then from an exhaust shop or from Summit Racing where I got mine.

ya i figured summit would have something like that. I have the 02 sensor up front which from what ive read is the important one.

just wondering what everyone with straight pipes is doing with it. I dont like the idea fo having the CEL on all the time since I wont be able to know if something else has magically gone wrong as well without frequently checking the codes.

Chaseweston
08-28-2012, 01:40 PM
Aside from saying it is illegal not to run a cat,

And I live in FL we don't have emissions laws here lol well somewhat but they really don't care..

4.3LXJ
08-28-2012, 03:16 PM
Yes, I know there are areas where they don't care. But sort of a disclaimer for any enviro nazis out there. Officially we stand by the laws. But what you do is your business. But that sensor is there for a reason, although the second sensor is to measure whether or not your first one is working, assuming it works that is.

prcjeep
08-28-2012, 03:17 PM
My wires got ripped off the top of the sensor. Other than the stupid CEL, it's been running just fine and getting about 16.5mpg avg.

I got my wires ripped out by my drive shaft once. The wires then shorted out touching something else and fried a fuse and wouldn't start. So watch out for that.

Chaseweston
08-28-2012, 04:23 PM
I got my wires ripped out by my drive shaft once. The wires then shorted out touching something else and fried a fuse and wouldn't start. So watch out for that.

ya I saw that somewhere. It actually cracked the 02 sensor in half no raw wires are exposed. I'm just going to zip tie the harness up and out of the way until i grab a bung to weld in and a new 02 sensor.. I have a lot of work to do to finish my exhaust anyways so ill add it to the list.

Thanks guys