PDA

View Full Version : New Drivers side fan issue.

dagod16
08-26-2012, 09:47 PM
Please don't combine or delete this thread, it's a different issue and problem relating to my fan.

I started my jeep, it was not hot at all, in fact it was sitting for a few hours..

The drivers side fan was coming on for a few seconds then shutting off for about 20 seconds then turning on for 2 or 3 seconds. Then it would shut off again. Just a fluke that I heard it while I let it warm up.

The temp was at 200 or less so it wasn't over heating.

The fan on the right passenger side is on automatically because of the AC, and that one is running without any problems.

Does the drivers side fan go through a series of system checks when the jeep starts, 2001 xj.

Any thoughts?

Again please don't remove this thread or combine it with another thread.
Old threads I can't change the thread titles and people don't realize it's a different issue and they don't respond .

Mudderoy
08-26-2012, 10:00 PM
Please don't combine or delete this thread, it's a different issue and problem relating to my fan.

I started my jeep, it was not hot at all, in fact it was sitting for a few hours..

The drivers side fan was coming on for a few seconds then shutting off for about 20 seconds then turning on for 2 or 3 seconds. Then it would shut off again. Just a fluke that I heard it while I let it warm up.

The fan on the right passenger side is on automatically because of the AC, and that one is running without any problems.

Does the drivers side fan go through a series of system checks when the jeep starts, 2001 xj.

Any thoughts?

Old threads I can't change the thread titles and people don't realize it's a different issue and they don't respond .

We certainly don't want to delete your thread. The two threads you started about this issue was possibly going to make your problem harder to resolve, since it splits up the information already asked and given.

89Laredo
08-27-2012, 10:27 AM
So you have two electric fans?
How do you have the passengers side hooked up? The drivers side is the one that should come on with the ac...

Drivers side is the one controlled by the ecu and I'm assuming the passengers side is hooked up to a controller?

Id say it might be a ecu or ground issue... Any other weird problems with it running?

oderdene
08-27-2012, 06:21 PM
If fan on and blowing to windshield or max position for internal circulation, ac turns on off to remove excess water vapor. check driver side fan operation on climate control off position

dagod16
08-28-2012, 06:36 AM
The wiring is original and has not been messed with.

The fan that comes on with the AC is the passenger side fan. When I turn on the AC the Passenger side fan kicks in to high gear.

The drivers side fan only comes on at 215 to 218 degrees.

But why did my drivers side fan go on for 2 seconds then off for 20 then on again for 2 seconds then off. It was doing this right when I turned it on, not sure if it did it when I was driving.

Mudderoy
08-28-2012, 06:57 AM
The wiring is original and has not been messed with.

The fan that comes on with the AC is the passenger side fan. When I turn on the AC the Passenger side fan kicks in to high gear.

The drivers side fan only comes on at 215 to 218 degrees.

But why did my drivers side fan go on for 2 seconds then off for 20 then on again for 2 seconds then off. It was doing this right when I turned it on, not sure if it did it when I was driving.

On left hand drive vehicles, the passenger side fan is the mechanical. It must turn if the engine is turning. If the engine turns faster it will. The electric fan, the one on the driver's side will only turn one speed. So it's on or off.

If the electric fan is NOT coming on with the A/C (that's the driver's side fan) then I would stick a volt meter on the plug that the electric fan connects to and monitor is for 12 volts as you turn the A/C on and off. It may be time to replace the electric fan.

dagod16
08-28-2012, 05:43 PM
Ok I will unplug the drivers side fan , check the volts and get back to you, because it should not be coming on at all since it is the emergency cooling side.

Can I do that with the vehicle turned off?

Mudderoy
08-29-2012, 01:14 AM
Ok I will unplug the drivers side fan , check the volts and get back to you, because it should not be coming on at all since it is the emergency cooling side.

Can I do that with the vehicle turned off?

The Jeep will have to be running just as it would for the electric fan to operate.

I would just unplug the electrical connection near the top of the electric fan. Get your volt meter hooked up, then clear everything from the front of the motor, and start the engine.

Operate the A/C from off to on and you should see a constant 12 volts while the A/C compressor is on. If the compressor turns off the 12 volts should go away, or if you turn the A/C off from the control in the cab.

dagod16
08-29-2012, 04:22 AM
It's not the fan that is in front of the AC,

It's the fan in front of the power steering reservoir, but it has a plug I can disconnect and put the 12 volt meeter on.

4.3LXJ
08-29-2012, 10:03 AM
that is the one he is talking about. It comes on with the AC

dagod16
08-30-2012, 06:50 AM
Well my vehicle must be different.

My Drivers side fan does not come on with the AC. My passenger side fan comes on with the AC. My AC is on the passenger side of the vehicle.

My drivers side fan is in front of the power steering refill tank. My Drivers side fan comes on when it gets too hot at about 215 degree. I guess I have a different model of jeep.

My AC fan which is on the passenger side works fine. The one on the Drivers side is the one that come on then goes off then come on and so on.

I will get back to you in bit with the volt check on the drivers side fan.

Mudderoy
08-30-2012, 07:19 AM
Well my vehicle must be different.

My Drivers side fan does not come on with the AC. My passenger side fan comes on with the AC. My AC is on the passenger side of the vehicle.

My drivers side fan is in front of the power steering refill tank. My Drivers side fan comes on when it gets too hot at about 215 degree. I guess I have a different model of jeep.

My AC fan which is on the passenger side works fine. The one on the Drivers side is the one that come on then goes off then come on and so on.

I will get back to you in bit with the volt check on the drivers side fan.

I think we need some pictures.

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-cooling-system-parts/images/cherokee-xj-cooling-system4.jpg

The lower portion of this picture shows the Jeep Cherokee (not the Grand) radiator and fans. The mechanical fan is on the passenger side and the electric is on the driver's side.

dagod16
08-31-2012, 07:45 PM
Hey pictures would be a great idea. I will get to them tomorrow after my little kids find the pet mouse they lost in the house. So much for it only living 3 months, this thing will be dead in a few dead. :beer:

89Laredo
09-03-2012, 11:49 AM
Waiting...

dagod16
09-04-2012, 06:40 AM
I know I'm sorry, I had to go to chicago and I got busy.

I will post it as soon as I get home.

Mudderoy
09-04-2012, 09:16 AM
Waiting...

It's good practice waiting, for when you get married. :bang: :rotfl2:

dagod16
09-04-2012, 05:06 PM
Driers side fan

89Laredo
09-04-2012, 05:24 PM
That's a regular fan setup. Drivers side is electric and turns on with ac or at high temps. Passengers side is mechanical, runs off of the belt, and turns constantly.

Mudderoy
09-04-2012, 08:58 PM
Driers side fan

That's a clean engine. Anyway you can do video of the symptoms you are describing?

oderdene
09-05-2012, 01:47 AM
That's a clean engine. Anyway you can do video of the symptoms you are describing?

with the photo of climate control knobs,

dagod16
09-05-2012, 04:48 AM
That's clean???Hmmmm I just try to keep stuff looking normal. I don't really wipe it down much but I do wipe it once in a while.

Couldn't sleep but I did do a temp repair at 4 am. My heat shield was completely broken loose, so I took out two of the bolts and added a larger washer and did a temp securing of the heat shield.

Ok we are entering a tech area of tech I am still learning. maybe my ten year old can help. hahahahah

So do a video on the phone, send it to my email, download it to my computer, then upload it to this website? Does that sound right?

hmmmmm

Brasscatz
09-05-2012, 07:40 AM
I think that could work, however I've never uploaded a video that way. The easiest way that I've found is to upload the video straight to Youtube, then click share, then copy and paste the url into your post. We'll get your problem figured out buddy, have no fear ;) it may turn out to be something simple, or not much of an issue at all. Those are the best kinds of issues! I don't remember if you stated already, and I'm on my phone browser and it's not the easiest thing to go back once I've started my reply, but what is your temp gauge reading during normal driving and any time else?

Brasscatz
09-05-2012, 07:57 AM
I just went back and skimmed a little bit to try to catch up. Try starting your Jeep and letting it warm up without your air conditioner on at all no air blowing. Then, the only fan that should be turning should be your passenger side/mechanical fan. you say that fan kicks into high gear when your air conditioner is on, but that is probably because the extra pull the ac puts on your engine. every component on your motor takes power to run. That is why race car drivers do not have air conditioning, power steering, etc. because they take power to run. If everything checks out this way, then your Jeep is in top notch condition (fan wise) in my opinion :thumbsup:

Mudderoy
09-05-2012, 02:57 PM
That's clean???Hmmmm I just try to keep stuff looking normal. I don't really wipe it down much but I do wipe it once in a while.

Couldn't sleep but I did do a temp repair at 4 am. My heat shield was completely broken loose, so I took out two of the bolts and added a larger washer and did a temp securing of the heat shield.

Ok we are entering a tech area of tech I am still learning. maybe my ten year old can help. hahahahah

So do a video on the phone, send it to my email, download it to my computer, then upload it to this website? Does that sound right?

hmmmmm

On my smartphone I can upload it directly to youtube (my account) then post the link here.

Mudderoy
09-05-2012, 03:00 PM
I just went back and skimmed a little bit to try to catch up. Try starting your Jeep and letting it warm up without your air conditioner on at all no air blowing. Then, the only fan that should be turning should be your passenger side/mechanical fan. you say that fan kicks into high gear when your air conditioner is on, but that is probably because the extra pull the ac puts on your engine. every component on your motor takes power to run. That is why race car drivers do not have air conditioning, power steering, etc. because they take power to run. If everything checks out this way, then your Jeep is in top notch condition (fan wise) in my opinion :thumbsup:

I can understand if the mechanical fan slows down when the A/C kicks on but not speeds up. I don't recall the idle RPM changing when the A/C comes on so frankly the mechanical fan should be a constant speed, at least to the naked eye. Now if the belt is lose I can understand how the mechanical fan would slow down, but I would think there would a sound or smell associated with that. :watermelon:

Brasscatz
09-05-2012, 07:28 PM
I can understand if the mechanical fan slows down when the A/C kicks on but not speeds up. I don't recall the idle RPM changing when the A/C comes on so frankly the mechanical fan should be a constant speed, at least to the naked eye. Now if the belt is lose I can understand how the mechanical fan would slow down, but I would think there would a sound or smell associated with that. :watermelon:

Man was I tired this morning! I knew what I was trying to say and it made sense at the time! :ass: I think I was trying to relate to the sound of it going into "high gear" because by sight you can't easily tell the speed. I'm still tired, so again this time... feel free to correct me LOL!

Mudderoy
09-05-2012, 07:48 PM
Man was I tired this morning! I knew what I was trying to say and it made sense at the time! :ass: I think I was trying to relate to the sound of it going into "high gear" because by sight you can't easily tell the speed. I'm still tired, so again this time... feel free to correct me LOL!

I'm the same way so please correct me when I go off the rails, as well.

dagod16
09-05-2012, 10:21 PM
Temperature wise I was running about 195 to 200 right on the nose, but I have absolutely NO stop and go on the way to work, I drive 18 miles in the country to a high school. But this weekend I was up in Chicago and I drove an hour from Oswego to Willowbrook and it was stop and go for every darn light, my temp went over 210 and hit I think 212 to 215 but the extra fan did not come on. It was a bit more than a needles thickness over 210. Yes I had the air on but I noticed the issue and turned it off and the temp went down no problems. I probably didn't need to turn it off but I did. The outside temp was 96 degrees. I then drove it that night 2 1/2 hours back home at 195 to 200 degrees. Any thoughts on that?
I'm guessing the fan issue is nothing, but I get nervous and check things out. I am going to check the fan volts this weekend.
I must tell someone so you guys are the first.
I Have a lady with a tattoo on her rear coming over this weekend and it says "baby doll". and she drinks(a lot) so it's going to be a good weekend. Total non marriage material but I'm divorced and I am having fun!!!!!! I just had to tell you guys!!! Skinny little thing too! Who wants pictures : )

Brasscatz
09-05-2012, 10:24 PM
Temperature wise I was running about 195 to 200 right on the nose, but I have absolutely NO stop and go on the way to work, I drive 18 miles in the country to a high school. But this weekend I was up in Chicago and I drove an hour from Oswego to Willowbrook and it was stop and go for every darn light, my temp went over 210 and hit I think 212 to 215 but the extra fan did not come on. It was a bit more than a needles thickness over 210. Yes I had the air on but I noticed the issue and turned it off and the temp went down no problems. I probably didn't need to turn it off but I did. The outside temp was 96 degrees. I then drove it that night 2 1/2 hours back home at 195 to 200 degrees. Any thoughts on that?
I'm guessing the fan issue is nothing, but I get nervous and check things out. I am going to check the fan volts this weekend.
I Have a lady with a tattoo on her rear coming over this weekend and it says "baby doll". and she drinks(a lot) so it's going to be a good weekend. Total non marriage material but I'm divorced and I am having fun!!!!!! I just had to tell you guys!!! Skinny little thing too! Who wants pictures : )

You know what they say... Pics or it didn't happen!! :D

Mudderoy
09-06-2012, 12:39 AM

rofl

Anyway... if the electric fan is not coming on with the A/C your coolant temps will go above 210 (depending on load and ambient temp). It sounds like you may need to replace a fuse or a electric fan. The good news is the fan (from the auto parts store) is $100 and a 30 minute fix (if that).

You can get one from RockAuto for $40 plus shipping, but you really need to do that volt meter thing first.

89Laredo
09-06-2012, 12:41 AM
Pics or ban

dagod16
09-06-2012, 05:50 AM
Electric fan on the right
Mechanical fan on the left?
?

I know I need pics or it didn't happen : )

dajeepman
09-06-2012, 07:28 AM
The electric fan should be on the drivers side, turn on the ac and go out side and take a look at it, if its not running something is wrong. Everytime i turn on the ac my electric fan runs.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

Carves
09-06-2012, 07:53 AM

Any thoughts?

As already mentioned ... and according to your engine bay piccy ... you have a normal LHD setup with the computer controlled electric fan on the drivers side - and a belt driven, mechanical clutchfan, on the pax side.

This is from the 2001 FSM ...

Electric cooling fan 4.0L:
With or without A/C request the electric fan will come on only when the coolant temperature is at least 106° C (223° F), and will remain on until the coolant temperature drops to 103° C (217° F) or below.
Regardless of coolant temperature, When air conditioning system pressures reach 2068.5 6 138 kPa (300 6 20 psi) the electric fan will engage and continue to run until the A/C system pressure drops to 1620.3 kPa (235 psi) minimum, then the electric fan will shut off.

According to that .... The fan shouldnt activate until either of those specific requirements are met ... and if the fan is operating at startup temps less than 217* ... that might suggest an aircon pressure issue ??

...... or ...... yours is like many others - despite it being a 2001 - and the electric fan will come on when the aircon is selected - such as when the vent selector is in defrost position or the selector is at least midway between fresh & A/C.

Unbelievable that the later models, electric fans, have an even, higher start temp than earlier models ... :rolleyes: .. :bang: ... Seems every year, the drongoes cranked up the engine heat generation... and never bothered to improve the cooling system capacity to counter it when needed ... :bang:

Carves
09-06-2012, 08:15 PM
.............. Does the drivers side fan go through a series of system checks when the jeep starts, 2001 xj.

Any thoughts?

:bang: ... I forgot the obvious one ...

Theres a chrysler TSB for a reflash of the 2000/2001 computer.

Its part of the heat soak/fuel rail issue TSBs ...

Apparrently it varies the fan operation.

89Laredo
09-06-2012, 08:53 PM
NUMBER: 18-039-03
GROUP: Vehicle
Performance
DATE: November 14, 2003
This bulletin is supplied as technical information only and is not an authorization for repair. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retreival system,
or transmitted, in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, or otherwise, without written permission of DaimlerChrysler Corporation.
THIS BULLETIN IS BEING PROVIDED IN ADVANCE. THE SOFTWARE WILL BE
AVAILABLE ON TechCONNECT ON OR AFTER DECEMBER 09, 2003.
SUBJECT:
4.0L Rough Idle Due To High Ambient or Hot Soak Temperatures
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Powertrain
Control Module (PCM) with new software.
MODELS:
2000 - 2001 (XJ) Cherokee (Domestic Market)
NOTE: This bulletin applies to all 2001 model year XJ vehicles equipped with
a 4.0L engine, automatic transmission, and a 50 state emissions package
(sales code NAS). If the vehicle is a 2000 model year 4.0L XJ this bulletin
applies only if the vehicle is equipped with an automatic transmission and
has a California level emissions package (sales code NAE).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may describe a 20 to 30 second rough idle following the restart of a heat
soaked engine. This condition may be most noticeable when the engine is restarted
following a 10 to 20 minute heat soak in hot ambient conditions of approximately 32 C
(90 F) or higher. This condition may be consistent with short city stop-and-go driving
trips and can be aggravated by the use of fuel with high ethanol content.
The new software lowers the temperature threshold used to determine when the engine
cooling fans are turned on. The cooling fans will cycle on more often.
DIAGNOSIS:
Using a Scan Tool (DRBIII®) with the appropriate Diagnostic Procedures Manual, verify
all engine systems are functioning as designed. If DTCs are present record them on the
repair order and repair as necessary before proceeding further with this bulletin.
Verify that Service Bulletin 18-031-03 has been performed.
If the customer describes the Symptom/Condition, perform the Repair Procedure.
18-039-03 -2-
PARTS REQUIRED:
Qty. Part No. Description
1 04275086AB Label, Authorized Modification
SPECIAL TOOLS/EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:
NPN Battery Charger
CH2002 General Purpose Interface Bus Cable Assembly
CH6000A Scan Tool (DRBIII®)
CH7000A J1962 Cable with red DRBIII® connector
TechCONNECT PC
NOTE: An updated J1962 cable has been released. This cable has
a red colored connector at the DRBIII® connection. Use this cable
whenever a flash is being performed.
REPAIR PROCEDURE:
NOTE: Whenever a controller is programmed, the software in the DRBIII®;
must be programmed with the latest revision level available.
NOTE: If this flash process is interrupted/aborted, the flash should be
restarted and then follow the directions on the DRBIII®.
1. With the ignition switch in the “RUN” position, determine the original part number
of the PCM currently in the vehicle. Using the DRBIII® select:
a. "DRBIII® Standalone"
b. "1998 - 2004 Diagnostics"
c. "All (Except Below)"
d. “Engine”
e. “Module Display”
f. Record the first ten (10) characters of the “PCM part #” on the
repair order for later reference.
NOTE: If the PCM is not operational, the part number can be obtained from the label
on the old controller. If the label on the controller is not legible, proceed to next step.
2. Page back to the “Main Menu”
3. Determine if the vehicle is equipped with SKIM. Using the DRBIII® select:
a. “DRBIII Standalone”
b. “1998 - 2004 Diagnostics”
c. “All”
d. “System Monitor”
e. “J1850 Module Scan”
f. Look for “SKIM” in the list of modules.
-3- 18-039-03
4. If the vehicle is not equipped with SKIM then proceed to step 5. If the vehicle is
equipped with SKIM obtain the vehicle Personal Identification Number (PIN) before
continuing with step 5. This information is available from one of the following:
a. The original selling invoice.
b. The DealerCONNECT system under the “Sales” or “Parts” tabs - select “Key Codes”.
c. By contacting the District Manager.
CAUTION: Failure to install the SKIM pin number into the module after
flashing the PCM will cause a start and stall condition.
5. Open the hood, install a battery charger and verify battery state is above 11.5 volts.
6. If the old “PCM part #” is known, proceed to step 12. If the old “PCM
part #” is not known, proceed to next step.
7. On DealerCONNECT select the “Service” tab.
8. Select “Vehicle Information Plus”.
9. Manually enter the VIN and mileage and select “Enter”.
10. Select the “Vehicle Option” tab.
11. Under the “Vehicle Option” window, identify and record:
a. Engine.
b. Emissions (Federal or California)
c. Transmission (Automatic, 5-speed manual, etc.).
12. Connect the DRBIII® to TechCONNECT and the vehicle. Open TechTOOLS
and verify that the "DRBIII® Status: Connected" message is in the upper
right corner of the TechTOOLS screen.
13. TechTOOLS should automatically populate the VIN in the “Vehicle Criteria”
area and the available updates. If not, manually enter the VIN then
TechTOOLS will populate the available updates.
14. Determine the proper calibration:
a. If the old “PCM part #” is known, enter the part number of the old controller
in the “Parts Criteria” p/n window. Proceed to step 15.
b. If the old “PCM part #” is not known, select the correct calibration based on the
information that was recorded from “Vehicle Options” in step 11. Proceed to step 16.
15. Select the correct calibration.
16. Select the “Download/Update” button.
17. Monitor the "Flash Download/Update Progress" window on the TechCONNECT
and follow the instructions on TechCONNECT/DRBIII®. When the flash
process is completed, proceed to next step.
18. Enter the VIN in the PCM. Using the DRBIII® select:
a. “DRBIII Standalone”
b. “1998 - 2004 Diagnostics”
c. “All”
d. ”Engine”
e. “Miscellaneous”
f. “Check VIN”
g. If the vehicle is not equipped with SKIM proceed to step 18h. If the vehicle is
equipped with SKIM follow the directions on the DRBIII®. When the VIN and
SKIM key has been programmed, proceed to step 19.
h. Enter the VIN as requested by the DRBIII®.
19. Update the PCM mileage. Using the DRBIII® select:
18-039-03 -4-
a. "DRBIII® Standalone"
b. "1998 - 2004 Diagnostics"
c. "All (Except Below)"
d. "Engine"
e. "Miscellaneous"
f. “Check PCM Odometer”
g. “NO”
h. Enter the current odometer mileage and then press “Enter”.
i. Cycle the ignition key to the OFF position and back to the ON
position and then press “Enter”.
20. Reset pinion factor if necessary. Refer to the service information
available in TechCONNECT or the appropriate service manual, section
8E, Electronic Control Modules.
NOTE: Due to the PCM programming procedure, a DTC may be set in other modules
(TCM, BCM, MIC, SKIM, etc.) within the vehicle, if so equipped. Some DTC’s may
cause the MIL to illuminate. Check all modules using “Module Scan”, record the
DTC’s, and erase these DTC’s prior to returning the vehicle to the customer. Erase
any DTC’s in the PCM only after all other modules have had their DTC’s erased.
NOTE: The following step is required by law.
21. Type the necessary information on the “Authorized Modification Label” p/n
04275086AB and attach near the VECI label (Fig. 1).
Fig. 1 AUTHORIZED MODIFICATION LABEL
1 - POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE P/N (INSERT P/N) USED
2 - CHANGE AUTHORITY: TSB XX-XXX-XX
3 - DEALER CODE: XXXXX
4 - DATE: XX-XX-XX
POLICY:
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
TIME ALLOWANCE:
Labor Operation No: Description Amount
08-19-39-91 Reprogram Powertrain Control Module 0.7 Hrs.
-5- 18-039-03
FAILURE CODE:
58 Internal Defect

89Laredo
09-12-2012, 01:46 PM

Did OP run away?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2