PDA

View Full Version : Need input; Newbie buying first XJ

WanaBeJeeper
08-26-2012, 05:36 PM
As my screen name implies, I'm looking to buy my first XJ. Have decided that SQUARE is for me. Would appreciate knowledgeable input to consider in making decision. Have looked at many XJs; read Eric Zappe's XJ Builder's Guide, many XJ mags to learn a little info. Looked at numerous 00-01 XJs, but have found 99XJ that might be the one. Your thoughts please to consider in my first XJ purchase decision.

APPLICTION: Urban Midwest is home; local hunting/few hunting trips out West; to/from farm 225mi one-way; use in muddy fields/roads/creek crossings/get to hunt locations; long weekend trips/biking trips; looking good around town.....young at heart, most body parts have logged 60+yrs.
POSSIBLE MODS: ~4.5" lift; front and rear receiver hitches for hauling light, bulky loads to/from play areas (bikes/coolers/gear boxes/tire mount/removable winch); occasional trailer towing; getting newbie "unstuck"; stout front/rear bumpers with stout clevis; maybe 30" tires (mostly looks). Probably remove rear bench seat, replace with custom storage box under extended cargo area floor. No heavy off-roading/rock crawling.

'99XJ being considered. My slant on decision criteria. Your thoughts/direction?

PERCEIVED PLUSES:
-Very low mileage......36K first three yrs on lease; <4K/yr last 10yrs.
-CarFax checks out with no issues; agrees with other observations.
-Auto 4-speed transmission
-front diff Dana30 high pinion....slightly stronger than low-pinion on 00-01; better for driveline angle when lifted
-Rear diff chrysler 8.25...no ABS, better than Dana35, fairly strong, would take a locker later on.
-Command-Trac.....somewhat stronger/less complicated/ better clearance than Select-Trac.
-3.55 ratio.....not a rock crawler; better mileage to/from farm/weekend trips.
-No receiver hitch....probably no heavy towing
-No after market mods, stock as a rock....probably not off-roaded; no bad owner decisions.
-Older couple owner last 10yrs....probably no hard off roading....but, I do recall the "Little Old lady from Pasadena" song...GO GRANNY, GO GRANNY :) :)
-Avoid #0333 head overheating issues??
-Normal/better 13yr old finish patina; no evidence of wrecks/body repairs/new paint.
-Lower state annual personal property taxes....every little bit helps

PERCEIVED MINUSES:
-'99 Has older distributor/plugwire ignition system vs 00-01 distributorless/plug wireles system. Which ignition system is preferred? Any difference is recovering from an EMP event? Can/should ignitions system be upgraded?
-California emmisions....questionable as leassor was NJ with Mid-west leasee; no indication of ever being a CA vehicle. Any problems re. maintenance/life/issues???
-Undercarriage/driveline (diff/leaf springs/driveshaft/u-joints...) show heavy orange rust/scale. Doesn't match patina on shiny side. What could have caused this? Owners not in a heavy snow/road salt state. maybe limestone roads? (no apparent heavy rock chipping) Vacations to ocean area? Off-roading in mud/water....Little Old lady syndrome??? Should I be concerned with this? What impact? Can/should rust be arrested/abated/neutralized? How? chemical process....ie naval Jelly, coating, other??? Would this rust be in the body panels??? No body/rocker panel rust indications yet.

WHAT SHOULD I PAY? NADA 99XJ clean retail ~$4900 + $2400 low miles = ~$7200. Seller started at $9K; immediately dropped to $8K when I stated "way overpriced" even with low miles. i did not counter offer. Have not driven yet. At my age, AC is very important. I understand AC systems are problems on the XJs. Rights? If AC does not work what are the best and worst scenarios for costs?

What to look for in inspection? how to check out 4WD condition...when not off-road???

Really appreciate your experienced input, thoughts. Need to make decision in next couple days, so appreciate your input soon.

Thanks. looking to joining the XJ family and learning more from the forum.

WanaBeJeeper

ALS XJ
08-26-2012, 05:58 PM
Welcome...seems like you've come across a nice XJ. My '92 has 226K and still going strong. You can check out my build with pics (RE vs. OME) I put together a 4" OME Suspension System because it is a daily driver, no hard wheelin, just some light trail duty, towing (not yet though) and camping. I'm 52 yrs old and didn't want a jungle gym jeep, but I wanted quality...I'm extremely happy with my suspension set up as well as the 31" SST Coopers. The ride is better than stock ever hoped to be, with a great aggressive stance. On another note, I just had my A/C converted and repaired with a new condenser/dryer...for about $500. I also just today replaced my exhaust (including the cat) and that cost me around $225 including misc. bolts and such...$107. for the Dynomax system and another $85. for the Magnaflow cat...the exhaust note is a little deeper, but not louder than stock...very nice (and cheap). Just remember...Once you start...there's no going back! Happy Jeeping and Welcome aboard!

ALS XJ
08-26-2012, 06:03 PM
Sorry...my parts list and build is in "OME vs RE" thread.

WanaBeJeeper
08-26-2012, 06:10 PM
Thanks for your input. Yeah, the exhaust will probably be an early repair on a 13 yr old XJ. Good option you suggested.

Re. "once you start, can't ever go back".....unfortunately/fortunately, I have no adult supervision in my life......badly needed!!! With Harleys, guns, cars, and a rich little blonde Danish friend ....I really didn't need another life interest. But, what am I going to do with my money when I'm gone anyway!?!??! :) :)

Mudderoy
08-27-2012, 04:29 AM
Personally I believe the 99 XJ was the best one built. It has all the right upgrades without the possible downgrades. Of course that's IF it didn't come with ABS and a DANA 35.

Something you'll have to consider is lifting, larger tires and the 3.55 gears. 32/33 inch tires and 4.10 to 4.56 gears is going to be a must. Lots of people continue with their 3.55 gears, but for highway driving and for gas mileage city the differential gears really should be changed.

Off the top of my head $8k for a 1999 sounds way too expensive, however it depends on the area that you live in and of course the mileage. kbb.com is your friend because it will take all those things into consideration.

I bought a 1999 XJ about a year ago with 147k miles and it was $2400. The paint has issues, and the headliner is falling, but it's a good solid vehicle.

bluedragon436
08-27-2012, 05:57 AM
I would def. try and see if you can't talk the seller down on their price some more.. But other than that it seems liek you may have found a good deal for your entry into the addiction that is Jeep!! If you could I would take it for a test drive and maybe even swing it by a mechanic to look over if you happen to know one that will hook you up..

ALS XJ
08-28-2012, 06:38 AM
That's good advise...get her up on a lift for a check up !

ALS XJ
08-28-2012, 06:41 AM
Here in Virginia, I've seen some high milage XJs in good condition go for stupid money...way overpriced. Good luck with the negotiation...and happy modifying!

WanaBeJeeper
08-28-2012, 09:01 PM
Can anyone comment on the issues of the undercarriage rust/scale.....doesn't match the shinny side patina. Should I be concerned about it? What doulc have caused the rust /scale? Not from a snow/road salt area; not an oceanside area. Gravel limestone roads might cause? Road coatings? Can and/should it be abatted? How? And, the pros/cons regarding the '99 XJdistributor/plug wire ignition system versus th '00-'01XJ distributorless/plug wireless system?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and thoughts.

bluedragon436
08-28-2012, 09:32 PM
As far as the rust/scale... I would def. say if you were to purchase it to try and do some sort of cleaning to remove the surface stuff, and fix any that is more than just surface.. then apply some sort of sealer to keep it from continuing to rust... The rust/scale is part of the reason why I would say if you could get a mechanic to put it up on a lift and take a good look over it... It will be well worth the money spent to have any real trouble areas identified before you purchase and have to spend far more repairing the unknown...

07Negative
08-28-2012, 11:54 PM
Like Tony. I think the 99' is the holy grail of XJ's. not to disregard the other years. My over all attitude is for you to just get one. If it speaks your lingo. Just get one. Using good judgement, get one with the least amount of head aches. Strap on your man panties, b/c your in for a hell of a ride. At times working on em sucks anus. Your friends might suck and wont want to help when your feel least vulnerable. So you have to do it on your own. But don't fear; they are only nuts and bolts.

Mudderoy
08-29-2012, 01:01 AM
Like Tony. I think the 99' is the holy grail of XJ's. not to disregard the other years. My over all attitude is for you to just get one. If it speaks your lingo. Just get one. Using good judgement, get one with the least amount of head aches. Strap on your man panties, b/c your in for a hell of a ride. At times working on em sucks anus. Your friends might suck and wont want to help when your feel least vulnerable. So you have to do it on your own. But don't fear; they are only nuts and bolts.

Exactly, they are all great because they are real Jeeps.

XJ Wheeler
08-29-2012, 01:43 AM
Can anyone comment on the issues of the undercarriage rust/scale.....doesn't match the shinny side patina. Should I be concerned about it? What doulc have caused the rust /scale? Not from a snow/road salt area; not an oceanside area. Gravel limestone roads might cause? Road coatings? Can and/should it be abatted? How? And, the pros/cons regarding the '99 XJdistributor/plug wire ignition system versus th '00-'01XJ distributorless/plug wireless system?

Perhaps the owners moved or bought it from someone who had it in a place more prone to rust covered vehicles. Definitely thoroughly check it out before putting down an offer.

4.3LXJ
08-29-2012, 10:04 AM

It depends on how much there is. We all have a little. But if it is major flakes that is another matter.