PDA

View Full Version : Welcome Heretic337!!!

4.3LXJ
08-25-2012, 10:24 AM
Hi Heretic337, welcome to the xjtalk forum!

We would love to know more about you and your Jeep. How you found us, etc...

Check out "Announcements" "How to post an image" for help posting images.

Got a Wrangler? Maybe a friend with one? http://www.WranglerTalk.com/

Heretic337
08-25-2012, 10:50 AM
Hi all! My name is Andrew, and I just started my adventure with a 1989 jeep wagoneer. it's in rough shape, but isn't every piece of art?:rolleye0012: I am currently enrolled in an auto program at my local college and have referred to information from this site a few times(found via Google) and also another student in my class has a wagoneer himself. Right now my jeep is not running, as of yesterday it keeps snapping the distributor bolt housing, as weak as they are (oem replacement) I'm not surprised. i started it yesterday at the local coffee stop, and pulled out of the drive, as soon as i went to accelerate it acted doggy and almost like when i first bought the jeep and it was missing the EGR diaphragm. So i drove it straight to my buds house and didn't start it again. at first glance i noticed the bolt that holds the distributor down was loose then i notice the crack where it had seperated from the distributor. anyway i put a new one in it did the same thing... only difference is when i put it in it wouldnt start... This is an awsome introduction im sure :thumbdown: im lost and really upset bout my jeep :bang:

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk194/joker337/311543_3471839126873_1466339009_n.jpg

thanks all, any other issues i have wont be posted here. i just needed to get that off my chest

Mudderoy
08-25-2012, 12:01 PM
:welcome: to :xjtalk:

Now I haven't had every problem, nor have I read about them all, apparently. This is a new one to me and should be interesting hearing what it is/could be.

If I understand your description correctly I would think this must have something to do with where the cam meshes with the distributor.

Heretic337
08-25-2012, 01:40 PM
I was also thinking the same thing... now stop me if i sound dumb, but could it be an oil pump issue? it stinks because it ran like a CHAMP... and then between maybe 100 feet and a stop sign... ran like crap. the gear coming from the cam shaft, is still turning. Maybe that cog could be bent? and as for service manuals, anyone have a good idea? other than the chiltons\haynes? I know we use alldata in the shop at the school, would it be worth it to just get that program instead of ordering the shop manual? I did notice when the problem occurred, that the oil pressure gauge did drop to the floor. and when i held the distributor back in and cranked it, it did not come back on at an idle... :drinking:cheers !!!! haha:cry: i love my jeep! i just wish it wasn't as temperamental as my wife :bang:

4.3LXJ
08-25-2012, 02:35 PM
Andrew, I can think of some possibilities, but the first thing I think is move the motor to top dead center and dizzy on #1 spark plug and pull it. See what it looks like.

Mudderoy
08-25-2012, 06:26 PM
You know I seem to remember someone saying the gear on their distributor was all messed up. I can't remember if they were able to save the motor wit a new distributor or not.

TDC pull the distributor and check it's gear, and if you can see it the gear on the cam.

Heretic337
09-02-2012, 11:38 PM
Okay!
So, I pulled spark plug #1 and no issues besides I have probably been running them the life of the motor.
So, then I pulled the pan and the oil pump... I couldn't tell if there was really anything wrong with the oil pump... and i am pretty dang sure there is nothing wrong with the gear (because it is PART of the cam... )
My best guess from here on out is replace the oil pump throw the pan and oil and dizzy back in and TDC it, everyone wish me luck...
unfortunately, parts here, need to be ordered and won't be here till tuesday! atleast they are coming. I have also been looking at spare parts jeeps... if i got the 93 cherokee 4.0 HO how hard would it be to convert it =P i think that would be awsome to rid myself of renix!

bigjim350
09-02-2012, 11:43 PM
Welcome to the site :thumbsup: As far as manuals go, if you have access to alldata then stick with that. No manual is as good as that except for maybe a Jeep factory service manual.

Heretic337
09-02-2012, 11:52 PM
THANKS!
as for the service manual i have not purchased anything, YET! I am going to subscribe to alldata for both of my vehicles! i just think having the home option would be best. i can get what i NEED at school... but hah, my baby broke on the road no where near school hahaha. Thanks for the welcome!