PDA

View Full Version : Tyre size and bumpstops

Ausjeepchik
08-24-2012, 05:58 PM
I've lifted my XJ 2 inches with an OME kit, which is great and my tyre size is only one size bigger than standard. Do I still need to fit extended bumpstops to the front to stop crushing my auto trans lines on full flex??

My tyre size is 235/75/R15 or 29 inch.

I haven't had any problems arise so far without them.

Thanks in advance

prerunner1982
08-24-2012, 06:00 PM
I don't think you should have any problems those tires fit into the fenders fine at stock height. I am running 30"s mud tires at stock height and have only had slight contact on the rear on certain bumps.

Ausjeepchik
08-24-2012, 06:09 PM
I don't think you should have any problems those tires fit into the fenders fine at stock height. I am running 30"s mud tires at stock height and have only had slight contact on the rear on certain bumps.

That's what I was thinking. Thanks for the quick reply.

Carves
08-24-2012, 06:14 PM
Going by the dent in the lip of the sump on mine .... You might find you have a problem with the sway bar disconnected.

Replacing and re-routing the metal lines with rubber ones is easy and cheap ... give some thought to fitting a proper oil cooler while you're at it.

Brasscatz
08-24-2012, 07:02 PM
I think you're just fine, just like these other guys said. That is the size tires mine has and it's still all stock. Welcome to xjtalk.com! Glad to see another Aussie in here... Carves must be happy too ;)

4.3LXJ
08-24-2012, 07:36 PM
Welcome back Kim. We haven't heard from you for awhile. To answer your question, if you are running stock wheels, then no. Aftermarket wheels have less back spacing and move the tire out wider and can contact the top of the rear flare at full stuff. As for your transmission lines, it sounds like they might be hanging down a little to far. Get a tape measure out and measure the distance from the stock bumpstop to the axle. Then measure the distance from the axle to the transmission lines. If greater, no worries. If not, you can move the bumpstop down, or move the lines up with something simple like a zip tie.

Ausjeepchik
08-26-2012, 10:03 PM
Hmm sounds like I should do some measuring soon, just incase. Plan on fitting bigger tyres one day so re-routing now would probably be easier to do, I hope. Thanks for all the quick replies too :)