PDA

View Full Version : I need ideas of how to get rid of a critter in the garage

matchframe
08-23-2012, 06:43 PM
We have been dealing with some sort of critter living in the garage. It sets off our motion detectors for the alarm system usually late night or very early mornings (like 3:00 am) We have had rats in the past so I have the Rat Zapper which works great. Whatever this critter is, it is not interested in the Zapper trap so we bought a critter trapper cage. Same results, no interest in the bait or bowl of water we leave in the trap. This afternoon, I found what looks like a ball of hair with bones mixed in and was told it looks like an owl pellet. So best guess right now is we have an owl living in the attic which is open to the main part of the garage. There must be a hole in the roof or eve somewhere where it can get out and back in.

So how does one get rid of owls? Leave the light on in the garage? Leave the ceiling fan on with lights out so maybe it will fly into that?

I need ideas!

Thanks!!

Chaseweston
08-23-2012, 07:09 PM
First and foremost find and block the hole. Wire mesh works good and is fairly cheap from any home improvement store. This way he'll either be trapped in or out.

matchframe
08-23-2012, 07:30 PM
Someone just told me to leave the radio on in the garage. The idea is that if they can't sleep, they will move on.

Carves
08-23-2012, 07:48 PM
................... Leave the ceiling fan on with lights out so maybe it will fly into that?

I need ideas!

Thanks!!

:rotfl2:

... or mount that motion detector and a shotgun on an office swivel chair ?? :D

Blocking its access point sounds good ... find it during the day ... block it at night after it goes hunting - if its an owl.

Lights and radio may annoy it enough to move it on.

I had a little gecko lizard thing that used to scamper across a sensor just for shytes and giggles at all hours of the night :mad: ... took ages to find its hidey hole and deal with it.

oderdene
08-23-2012, 07:53 PM
woow, they seems ugly

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-hbH17zeQKd8/T8lqNAz300I/AAAAAAAAAzU/exPeWmh3d3A/s1600/Critters+2+-+3.png

blocking hole with wire mesh and always ON radio sounds work well

4.3LXJ
08-23-2012, 08:19 PM
I had a barn owl in the house. Just chased it out, blocked the hole and called it good

matchframe
08-23-2012, 08:23 PM

... or mount that motion detector and a shotgun on an office swivel chair ?? :D

Blocking its access point sounds good ... find it during the day ... block it at night after it goes hunting - if its an owl.

Lights and radio may annoy it enough to move it on.

I had a little gecko lizard thing that used to scamper across a sensor just for shytes and giggles at all hours of the night :mad: ... took ages to find its hidey hole and deal with it.

I also had a big problem with geckos and I thought that was what was setting the motion sensors off. I did some research about how to get rid of geckos and the best way is put mothballs where they are and they will make tracks to far away. I have moth balls all over the garage, so much that it now smells like an old closet. :D

This afternoon when I found the owl pellet on the floor is the first indication that it was an owl. Just turned on the radio and plan to leave it on. Hope he does not like classic rock. :thumbsup:

matchframe
08-23-2012, 08:28 PM
woow, they seems ugly

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-hbH17zeQKd8/T8lqNAz300I/AAAAAAAAAzU/exPeWmh3d3A/s1600/Critters+2+-+3.png

blocking hole with wire mesh and always ON radio sounds work well

:smiley-scared002::smiley-scared002::smiley-laughing021:

I looked for the hole and so far have not found it. Hopefully I can find it soon, but in the meantime, the radio is now on. :)

matchframe
08-23-2012, 08:30 PM
I had a barn owl in the house. Just chased it out, blocked the hole and called it good

I have not seen the owl yet, just evidence of it. I am not 100 percent sure if it is an owl, but the people I showed the "owl pellet" to says that its definitely an owl. Still looking for the hole, and will block it as soon as I know the owl is gone. :thumbsup:

Firemanray
08-23-2012, 09:31 PM
Not sure how to apply this to your circumstances but i had 'coons in my attic once. I found the entrance point and put an electric fence charger so they had to crawl through it. I then put it on a timer, on at mid- nite off at noon. Coons couldn't get back in so they left. Fixed hole, problem resolved.

cantab27
08-23-2012, 09:33 PM
i can send my mother in law over......just stick in the corner like a scarecrow ....job done.....

denverd1
08-24-2012, 10:34 AM
this thread is LOL!!

XJ Wheeler
08-24-2012, 11:21 AM
The question is, what eats an owl? Obviously you used the owl to eat something smaller and used that to eat something even smaller. So, what eats an owl? Then what eats that? Go till you have an elephant then that'll be easy to catch.

denverd1
08-24-2012, 11:28 AM
:cool0010::beavis:you know its a slow day when you google "what eats an owl"

eagles eat owls. and snakes eat baby owls. AND owls like classic rock :beavis:

XJ Wheeler
08-24-2012, 12:25 PM
:cool0010::beavis:you know its a slow day when you google "what eats an owl"

eagles eat owls. and snakes eat baby owls. AND owls like classic rock :beavis:

That is a slow day.:D

Now, what eats an eagle?

prcjeep
08-24-2012, 02:28 PM
Wow, this is an interesting thread to say the least, but...

The radio on in the garage should work. got rid of whatever was coming into my days garage...

NW99XJ
08-24-2012, 03:43 PM
Borrow a wild game camera....put one in the garage and or in the attic, you might get lucky with a shot of what it ACTUALLY is. It DOES sound like an owl.... but ya never can tell until you see it first hand. Once you know, then you can better deal with it. Music might work, but cant be too sure. Finding the access point is of course a good idea, but think about whats gonna happen if that thing doesnt get out, dies, and you STILL cant find it..... might get a wee bit smelly in there. You may just have to start running night watch.... post up in the attic and just wait.....maybe with a NET!

4.3LXJ
08-24-2012, 05:18 PM
If it is an owl, I say call Harry Potter. He can take it home. :D

Brasscatz
08-24-2012, 05:38 PM
I suppose a night time stake-out with a pellet gun is out of the question? BTW... Glad to see you still coming back Bill :thumbsup:

NW99XJ
08-24-2012, 05:59 PM
Just burn the whole thing down and collect the insurance.....
Thats the only way to be sure.......
(JK of course)

xj4life2
08-24-2012, 06:40 PM
Ok if it is an owl and without seeing the "poop" I cant be sure but, useing the critter trap you bought, tie a live mouse in it useing fishing line (this mouse/rat is bait if you have kids or sqeemish people around this is not the operation for them). The sqeeling of the mouse will drive the owl into the trap and your done. Block the hole with mesh after checking to see it was just a single owl not a family.If its a family you should be able to remove the young with heavy gloves and a burlap sack. Tke them or the one out to the country and release. If you trap it in the attic and it passes you will have a stench like no other. As a warning if it is an owl , do not attemp to grab or hold it , there talons can rip through tanned leather if need be.

XJ Wheeler
08-24-2012, 11:42 PM
One of the only things i know about owls is that "pellet" you found is not a:turd:, its actually the regurgitated remnants of what it can't digest from eating little critters.

cantab27
08-24-2012, 11:53 PM
One of the only things i know about owls is that "pellet" you found is not a:turd:, its actually the regurgitated remnants of what it can't digest from eating little critters.

so are you asking for a pic of owl shit to confrim this...............

:rotfl2::rotfl2:

xj4life2
08-25-2012, 12:10 AM

what you say is true of many raptors , but also true of some species of reptiles and even carnivores, Bobcats have been know to cough up hair balls containing undigested prey as well. Sad to say but the proof is in the poop !!!

xj4life2
08-25-2012, 12:12 AM

Yes Wayne we want to see the poop !! hey you got some great animals there in NZ , I bet you could get us some real great poop pictures .:)

cantab27
08-25-2012, 12:29 AM
Yes Wayne we want to see the poop !! hey you got some great animals there in NZ , I bet you could get us some real great poop pictures .:)

na be shit pics mark.............................................. .............:D

denverd1
08-25-2012, 12:38 AM
Game cam is a GREAT idea. Thx Audubon society members. StakeOut with a bottle of whiskey sounds fun too..

Shit pics.... :D:D
Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

XJ Wheeler
08-25-2012, 01:24 AM

You got any shots for comparison? Otherwise it might be useless, unless ya just like pics of poop.

cantab27
08-25-2012, 01:29 AM
heres a pic of some shit....

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr52/cantab27/2008_Jeep_Patriot.jpg

:D

XJ Wheeler
08-25-2012, 01:47 AM

I think that would be easy to spot AND hard to look at all at the same time.:D

xj4life2
08-25-2012, 01:30 PM

If that comes out of what ever is in your attic, I would move , and fast !!!!!
:smiley-scared002:

denverd1
08-26-2012, 02:18 AM
Any updates? Maybe techno is their flavor

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Mudderoy
08-27-2012, 04:31 AM

That is a slow day.:D

Now, what eats an eagle?

Spread Eagle?

matchframe
08-27-2012, 07:59 AM
It's not very pretty, but here is a pic of the "pellet"

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a122/matchframe/Pellet.jpg

matchframe
08-27-2012, 08:05 AM
Still have not identified what the critter is. People who I have talked with are divided in what they believe it may be. An owl is what some think it is and a rat snake is what other think it is. So far I have not been able to get into the attic to confirm, but a quick inspection on the outside of the garage, I have not found an entry point. Those who say it may be a rat snake say it would be easier for one to enter in a really small place, maybe even under the closed garage doors. I have been told a rat snake can grow up to about 6 feet in length. I hate snakes so if that is what it is and I run across with it, there may be some collateral damage from whatever gun I am closest to. I keep a 12 gauge and a .45 in the garage. The pellet gun will take too long to pump up.

denverd1
08-27-2012, 09:46 AM
Spread Eagle?

BALD spread eagle :D

xj4life2
09-05-2012, 02:54 PM

Not a owl pellet thats for sure, I would say snake. Looks like a field mouse that he tried to swallow and was disturbed and had to throw it up to make his escape. Its to intact for an owl, they rip and tear.snakes swallow whole and digest as they go down the line. Just a guess, but I say SNAKE !!!!

cantab27
09-05-2012, 10:39 PM

no i would say you already have my mother in-law living in ya garage looking at that...

run my friend run..................................

XJ Wheeler
09-06-2012, 12:20 AM
no i would say you already have my mother in-law living in ya garage looking at that...

run my friend run..................................

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

matchframe
09-06-2012, 06:51 AM
Not a owl pellet thats for sure, I would say snake. Looks like a field mouse that he tried to swallow and was disturbed and had to throw it up to make his escape. Its to intact for an owl, they rip and tear.snakes swallow whole and digest as they go down the line. Just a guess, but I say SNAKE !!!!

I hate snakes!! I am afraid if I see one there may be collateral damage, especially if I reach my 12 gauge before he makes it out of the garage. :)

My brother also thinks it may be a snake. He said that rat snakes can climb walls to get into the attic. I have never heard that before.

An update: I still have not identified what it is. I have a critter trap/cage with dog food and a cup of water in it that has not been tripped. I also have a rat zapper and the bait outside of the zapper is gone, but the bait inside is still there. That makes me think it may be a snake. The radio has been playing 24/7 and since I have started that, there has been no evidence of anything in the garage. Can snakes hear? Would a radio bother a snake?

OrangeXJ
09-06-2012, 07:08 AM
I hate snakes!! I am afraid if I see one there may be collateral damage, especially if I reach my 12 gauge before he makes it out of the garage. :)

My brother also thinks it may be a snake. He said that rat snakes can climb walls to get into the attic. I have never heard that before.

An update: I still have not identified what it is. I have a critter trap/cage with dog food and a cup of water in it that has not been tripped. I also have a rat zapper and the bait outside of the zapper is gone, but the bait inside is still there. That makes me think it may be a snake. The radio has been playing 24/7 and since I have started that, there has been no evidence of anything in the garage. Can snakes hear? Would a radio bother a snake?

play rap that brothers every thing:D

cpttuna
09-06-2012, 10:10 AM
Try drano and clorax in a plastic 5 gal bucket.

xj4life2
09-06-2012, 12:02 PM
Yes they can hear and are very suseptible to vibration, low bass thunmp would irritate the heck of them, Dog food wont do a thing, must be a live bait ,IE mouse or rat tied into the cage away from the trigger but so the snake has to trip it. He will not be able to exit with the mouse in him unless he throws it up. If I was there I'd come and get him for ya but your kinda far. I adore the cold blooded creatures and actually used to keep them as pets.