PDA

View Full Version : iPhone or Andriod, What's your preference?

prcjeep
08-23-2012, 02:48 PM
I still have not purchased a smartphone and its really frustrating not having one, when Im not with somebody else that does.
Question for me is, iPhone or and Android

So questions will be;
Have had both(iphone and android) prefer iphone.
Have had both(iphone and android) prefer andriod
have iphone, sticking with iphones
have iphone, will try droid next
have android, sticking with androids
have android, will get iphone next

Mudderoy
08-23-2012, 02:53 PM
Never had an Apple product, and they'd have to come out with something pretty DAMNED amazing before I'd buy anything from them.

I have an Android phone, Galaxy S2, very happy with it.

Samsung is kicking Apples ass in the smart phone arena, and even Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak says Android will be the ultimate smart phone winner.

EekGirl96
08-23-2012, 02:59 PM
I have an android, I would never go with Apple, I hate their products and im not a fan of built in memory. They also seem to only work properly if theres wifi, if not your never in service.

I have a Droid Razr, not fond of the phone, more of a Samsung girl but the new ones arent worth the money to me...im picky as you can tell lol

Id go with android over iphone any day tho.

denverd1
08-23-2012, 03:13 PM
phone died. went to buy another. phone guy at phone store wouldn't sell me I4. said " you don't want this piece of crap." so I bought a droid. supposed to be 4g but nothing is 4g IMO. the box says inspire, but the phone says it a Desire or something like that. good phone and just got software updated so its running better than it has the last few months. I'd like to root it and remove all the firmware junk thats on it but kinda nervous to mess it.

couple pros/cons:
Apps are comparable - if its on itunes or whatever, there something very similar on google play
I can run a wifi hotspot from it.
Software updates less frequently than apple
holds a charge WAY better than Iphones. I even have Iphone cords at my house/in my car for friends who will undoubtedly need a charge

OTOH, I really liked Steve Jobs as a businessman. America lost a great visionary and entrepreneur when he passed. Can you believe AAPL's run? With a P/E of 11 its got plenty of room to go. saw a 1200 target the other day. nuts.

Mudderoy
08-23-2012, 03:16 PM
phone died. went to buy another. phone guy at phone store wouldn't sell me I4. said " you don't want this piece of crap." so I bought a droid. supposed to be 4g but nothing is 4g IMO. the box says inspire, but the phone says it a Desire or something like that. good phone and just got software updated so its running better than it has the last few months. I'd like to root it and remove all the firmware junk thats on it but kinda nervous to mess it.

couple pros/cons:
Apps are comparable - if its on itunes or whatever, there something very similar on google play
I can run a wifi hotspot from it.
Software updates less frequently than apple
holds a charge WAY better than Iphones. I even have Iphone cords at my house/in my car for friends who will undoubtedly need a charge

OTOH, I really liked Steve Jobs as a businessman. America lost a great visionary and entrepreneur when he passed. Can you believe AAPL's run? With a P/E of 11 its got plenty of room to go. saw a 1200 target the other day. nuts.

That reminds me. I have a second battery for my S2, the iPhone's battery is built in and non-removable. I never have to switch the battery in my normal 10 hour day, but if my day runs longer I can.

prcjeep
08-23-2012, 03:26 PM
The reason I don't know which I want is, I've heard good and bad about both. But I would usually start ignoring what people had to say because i couldn't relate so I didn't really care. Now I wish i remembered what they were talking about. keep the replies coming! I may be getting a smart phone today or tomorrow.
My last straw with not having one was yesterday.

Everytime I get a group text, someone else replies to the original sender and I sometimes dont know who they are or dont know what they are talking about because my "dumb phone" doesnt show that it was sent to a bunch of other people and i get a new text for each person when its all related to the same original text.

olds-cool
08-23-2012, 03:33 PM
I only had some brief experience, about a month, with Android but I liked it much better. Someone at work decided that they needed to standardize on a platform and that particular person hated Android so I got shafted and stuck with the Iphone 4. The Iphone is ok for what it is and what it does but it certainly has it's drawbacks. As mentioned, internal battery and internal storage are the biggest drawbacks in my opinion. I can get a good 2 days out of a battery if I don't use it a lot but I've heard a lot of people needing to charge multiple times per day. They are also very picky about the charging source. Mine complains if I use the factory usb cable plugged into a 12v usb convertor and some of the cheapo car chargers just flat out won't work. Apps are comparible and what is available for one is likely on the other as most companies don't want to lose the market simply because the customer has a different phone.

denverd1
08-23-2012, 03:33 PM
Patrick, unfortunately my droid phone does that too. My buddy sends his usual Weds night poker text and i get the replies all day long because I'm on the list. unless i'm text dumb and haven't set my phone up right, which is likely

Sneedle Vision
08-23-2012, 05:01 PM
While I totally get the appeal of the iPhone, it doesn't do anything for me. I do have an iPod touch, but it's been sitting in a desk drawer for about 18 months now.

The iPhone is all sleek, has a nice display, and very smooth response. The things I didn't like were functionality features. The keyboard is awful to me. I wasn't a fan of having one button that does 800 features and none of them well (closing apps and multitasking). The onscreen "menu" button for each app was never the same in any app. Oh you can't see any pixels on the iPhone? Well that's gonna work since I read all of my fonts one letter at a time that are the size of the entire display. :bang:

I've had 3 Android phones, HTC Incredible(2.5 years), Samsung Galaxy S3(2 days, physical issue), and HTC Rezound(currently). All of them worked very well and after spending the couple days to figure out Android.

If you would like more specifics, I can keep going. Just didn't want to clog the thread. :D

Brasscatz
08-23-2012, 06:35 PM
Personally, I'm like Tony. I can't stand Apple, and the majority of people who use their products. No offense to anybody here ;) but a lot of (not all) iphone users as well as the company seem to have a snooty attitude simply because they use apple products. I think they are severely overpriced and they just aren't worth it. I tend to be very anti-bandwagon at times :D The iphone, you choose from the iphone or the iphone. With Android or Blackberry, you choose from numerous models that fit your preferences.

It's going to depend on what your basic needs are... If you are into messaging and email, especially corporate mail on the Exchange server, go Blackberry all the way. I was a huge Blackberry user and in my opinion there isn't another phone out there that is comparable. The settings for Blackberry for each individual message box is nice. If you have 9 different email addresses, plus MMS (pics or vids), and SMS, you can have a different alert/vibe setting for each individual account so it's easy to know which medium you are receiving messages through. The push message/mail feature doesn't drain your battery like the other phones either.

I currently have the MyTouch 4G from T-Mobile and Android is superior for games and possibly web browsing, but the battery life is horrible just like the iphone. I have to leave everything turned off (WiFi, Bluetooth, etc) to make my battery last longer, but on my Blackberry I could leave them all on and not drain much battery at all.

Why did I get rid of my Blackberry, you ask? My Blackberry was on 3G, which with T-Mobile seemed to be slower than 2G, so I pretty much demanded a new phone with 4G because I got tired of them sending me warranty phones to "fix" the speed issue. I hear that my case was special and Blackberry users on other networks and even most on my network don't experience that issue. I'm planning on getting another Blackberry when I get this promised promotion for emails.

XJ Wheeler
08-23-2012, 11:17 PM
My experience is limited to one android phone - Samsung Charge 4g. I didn't know it the day i spent $300 plus accessories for this pile but I've spent 1 1/2 years fighting with it. It has an endless amount of glitches and shuts off at least a couple times a day. Which now it has this new game of once it has been restarted it continues to shut off for 5-10 more times. In fact, that's why i haven't been on the forum for the last two hours. Not more than two months after purchasing it had a problem with not receiving a signal and had to be exchanged for a "used" phone. Which is a near identical copy of :turd:

My battery run time sucks as well. If i actually use it i might get two hours out of it. I carry a charger everywhere.

My brother has the Iphone 4 (not 4g) and he hasn't had many problems. Although i personally done like its features and there's things my android can do that his Apple cannot. His battery stays up slightly longer than mine but not by much. Another thing, who thought a GLASS phone would ever be a good idea.

All in all, i will never waste my cash on a Samsung again. I understand mine is an isolated case but i cannot and will not put my trust in a company that sends a product with this many problems out the door to the consumer. As well, i don't see myself purchasing an iphone simply because it doesn't suit me. Most likely i will go with a LG as I've had good experience with one of their non smart phones.

:rant:

4.3LXJ
08-24-2012, 10:40 AM
I am an Apple guy. Love the computers because I have no trouble with them. But I have an Android phone, a 3G Droid by Motorola. The biggest advantage with apple stuff is synching, that is stuff goes from your tablet, phone and computer seamlessly and without bugs. But that is not what I use a phone for. At the time I got mine, Verizon had the best coverage so that is what I went for. Iphone only was on AT&T. Besides I can talk to the kids without cost with the plan I have.

matchframe
08-24-2012, 11:17 AM
I have had a Blackberry, it was ok, then a Palm Pro, hated that phone then got my iPhone and absolutely love it. I have the iPhone 4 ( not the talking one, don't want my phone talking to me) which I use with Verizon. I have had no issues with Verizon working with this phone, fast downloads and almost always can access the Internet where ever I am. ATT is the big issue with iPhones dropping connections.

4.3LXJ
08-24-2012, 11:39 AM
While we are on the subject, this might make interesting reading.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/seoul-court-rules-apple-infringed-023627731.html

Silverfoot
08-24-2012, 11:43 AM
Patrick, unfortunately my droid phone does that too. My buddy sends his usual Weds night poker text and i get the replies all day long because I'm on the list. unless i'm text dumb and haven't set my phone up right, which is likely

From what I understand this is a feature of the iPhone in that when an iPhone replies to a message sent as a group text it replies to all of the people the message was sent to, not just the person who sent the message. Not really sure what the point of this is and honestly it's kindof annoying because it happens to me too.

I have had a Galaxy S3 for about a week now and I love it. I had an S1 for a year before that and it was a great phone as well. The others have pretty much stated the downsides of the iPhone already so I won't repeat them. The only Apple product I have ever actually liked was my classic iPod. Other stuff they have made has been neat but IMO overpriced and more confusing to use. I found the Android OS much more intuitive.

4.3LXJ
08-24-2012, 07:57 PM
Here is another one that might change the phone game.

http://news.yahoo.com/jury-reaches-verdict-apple-samsung-trial-court-officials-215605461--sector.html

olds-cool
08-24-2012, 09:59 PM
Another thing, who thought a GLASS phone would ever be a good idea.

I can't believe I forgot to mention that. If you go the Iphone route, IMMEDIATLY get a rubber cover. I knocked mine out of my belt case and broke the glass within 24 hours of owning it. Maybe 3' between case and parking lot.
Gorilla glass my behind! :ass:

TeXJ
08-26-2012, 10:33 PM
I really like my iPhone. I have a 4 and it is jailbroken. It was very easy to do. You are not just buying a phone you are buying the whole package. iTunes, not that great however you can get pod casts. I also like that there are apps for everything. Things are easy to download and you dont have to worry about a malware with apps in the App Store.

Jamie Lynn
08-26-2012, 10:43 PM
I originally had the HTC Droid Incredible..loved it for the 2 yrs I had it...then it started to be a pain in the butt. So I upgraded to the Droid Bionic...I love it. I honestly do. I can't tell you how many times it has dropped, been slobbered on by the kids, dropped in a pile of calf shit on the farm and it still works. My bf has the iPhone..its the biggest piece of poop in my opinion. It dropped off the corner of the couch and busted the screen and half the time he uses mine because his never has service or is throwing some sort of fit or another.
Plus I love the fact that Danny(older brother) and I can get on Google chat and talk for hours..it's nice especially when he is out to sea. But everyone has their own opinions and likes but you will never see me with an iPhone in my possession.

xjrev10
08-27-2012, 12:55 AM
I really like my iPhone. I have a 4 and it is jailbroken. It was very easy to do. You are not just buying a phone you are buying the whole package. iTunes, not that great however you can get pod casts. I also like that there are apps for everything. Things are easy to download and you dont have to worry about a malware with apps in the App Store.

That jailbreakin stuff seems a little sketchy to me.....

I got a iPhone 3GS. Works great. 2 years I think I've had it. Use at work all time for Tapatalk...and reading other offroad stuff online. I'm due for a upgrade, but I'll wait till this (typing on it now) quits working before I get another one. The iPod touch is a waste of money. Does everything a iPhone does except call...I bought one for her last year..

She's got a galaxy I think...hates it. So do I. Big and clunky feel to it. Strange and foreign anyway cuz I'm used to the iPhone.

At the mine I work at, EVERYONE has a iPhone. You never see anything else unless it's one of the older dudes carrying a flip phone.

bluedragon436
08-27-2012, 01:17 AM
Funny this thread is here... I got the HTC Incredible (Incredible POS)... it was an awesome phone until the last couple of months... and I'll be upgrading after this deployment... and have actually just started questioning whether I was going to go with another Droid or try an iPhone out... I kind of enjoy not joining in on the hype that is the iPhone

Mudderoy
08-27-2012, 04:08 AM
My experience is limited to one android phone - Samsung Charge 4g. I didn't know it the day i spent $300 plus accessories for this pile but I've spent 1 1/2 years fighting with it. It has an endless amount of glitches and shuts off at least a couple times a day. Which now it has this new game of once it has been restarted it continues to shut off for 5-10 more times. In fact, that's why i haven't been on the forum for the last two hours. Not more than two months after purchasing it had a problem with not receiving a signal and had to be exchanged for a "used" phone. Which is a near identical copy of :turd:

My battery run time sucks as well. If i actually use it i might get two hours out of it. I carry a charger everywhere.

My brother has the Iphone 4 (not 4g) and he hasn't had many problems. Although i personally done like its features and there's things my android can do that his Apple cannot. His battery stays up slightly longer than mine but not by much. Another thing, who thought a GLASS phone would ever be a good idea.

All in all, i will never waste my cash on a Samsung again. I understand mine is an isolated case but i cannot and will not put my trust in a company that sends a product with this many problems out the door to the consumer. As well, i don't see myself purchasing an iphone simply because it doesn't suit me. Most likely i will go with a LG as I've had good experience with one of their non smart phones.

:rant:

This sounds a lot like my first smart phone, the Motorola Cliq XT, the Galaxy S2 has been near flawless after over a year.

prcjeep
08-27-2012, 05:05 PM
Well I got a smart phone this weekend, Friday night to be exact. I've always had a biased against the iphone. I spent about two hours in the store looking at all options, and current pricing. My final decision came down to 2 things. Bettery life, and storage capability. The iphone. ranged from 8GB to 64GB, battery life was rated at ~10 hours full use. Non removable/upgradeable battery and storage. The razors had two options for me, the razor and razor MAX. 8-32GB memory with sd card slot for additional memory. Battery life was ~10 hours full use and 21 hours for razor MAX. Batteries also not removable for these razor droids. The last option was the Samsung Galaxy S 3. 16-32GB storage with SD card slot for additioanl storage and a removable/upgradable battery with stand life @ ~17 hours.

At just over $200 with 2 year plan renewal I now own the Samsung Galaxy S 3. I love it so far, however I havent had a smart phone since I had a palm trio back in 2007. I dont even know what this thing is capable of yet but its pretty awesome!

UpstateXJ
08-27-2012, 05:11 PM
I have the Droid Bionic now but will probably go with an Iphone for the next one. I jump around to whichever has the best tech at the time I need a new phone. However since I am grandfathered in, I will be buying the next phone outright since Verizon wants to be a punk about it.

Jamie Lynn
08-27-2012, 09:41 PM
I have the Droid Bionic now but will probably go with an Iphone for the next one. I jump around to whichever has the best tech at the time I need a new phone. However since I am grandfathered in, I will be buying the next phone outright since Verizon wants to be a punk about it.

So what do you think of the Droid Bionic.

nateyz2000
08-27-2012, 09:44 PM
My first smartphone, was the HTC inspire, I have had it for 2 and a half years, just replaced it with another inspire, because after the millions of drops it experienced, I finally cracked my screen. I love my Android operating system, and wouldn't give it up. I have an ipod touch, its ok, it has been running strong for 4 years. I don't like apples customer service. They make it very hard to get problems solved. Create a ticket that you must buy, for any support or repair problems... That doesn't seem right. Apple reminds me of California, it is like its own state, not to be used, or cross referenced with any other state(programs, games, music accesories). All by itself, expensive, and really gets annoying. Being a jeeper, I like to make my own set up, that suits me, not just what Apple offers... Just my 2 cents.

My wife has had 3 Samsung smartphones. None of them have been good. And from reading this forum, I would say stay clear of them! Lol

xjrev10
08-28-2012, 01:43 AM
I'll be getting another iPhone. Just not the latest and greatest. I'm not a fan of 'first year' anything, phones to jeeps..

I'd rather have something that's proven itself before i drop the cash for it.

Mudderoy
08-28-2012, 09:50 AM
Well I got a smart phone this weekend, Friday night to be exact. I've always had a biased against the iphone. I spent about two hours in the store looking at all options, and current pricing. My final decision came down to 2 things. Bettery life, and storage capability. The iphone. ranged from 8GB to 64GB, battery life was rated at ~10 hours full use. Non removable/upgradeable battery and storage. The razors had two options for me, the razor and razor MAX. 8-32GB memory with sd card slot for additional memory. Battery life was ~10 hours full use and 21 hours for razor MAX. Batteries also not removable for these razor droids. The last option was the Samsung Galaxy S 3. 16-32GB storage with SD card slot for additioanl storage and a removable/upgradable battery with stand life @ ~17 hours.

At just over $200 with 2 year plan renewal I now own the Samsung Galaxy S 3. I love it so far, however I havent had a smart phone since I had a palm trio back in 2007. I dont even know what this thing is capable of yet but its pretty awesome!

I was getting worried, I thought you were going to say you got a Moto. After getting the Moto Cliq XT I doubt I'll ever own another Motorola cell phone.

I'm not sure if you listen to podcasts, but BeyondPod is what I use. Also the Amazon.com MP3 player is nice plus you can play music directly from the Amazon cloud.