PDA

View Full Version : CB antenna in OEM antenna hole

SeniorGustas
08-22-2012, 06:11 PM
I'll post pictures when i'm home but does anyone have any ideas on how to make a CB antenna fit into the OEM hole. The holes way to big now and the antenna just falls through. Trying to do it when i get home. Thanks guys! :xjtalk:

4.3LXJ
08-22-2012, 06:32 PM
Put an aluminum plate over the hole with the right size hole in it for the new antenna

SeniorGustas
08-22-2012, 06:45 PM
yeah figured that was what i was going to do. i just dont like the unfinished look of it.

oderdene
08-22-2012, 08:42 PM
I'll post pictures when i'm home but does anyone have any ideas on how to make a CB antenna fit into the OEM hole. The holes way to big now and the antenna just falls through. Trying to do it when i get home. Thanks guys! :xjtalk:

my stock antenna was loose in this hole, I used silicone sealant and it looks like factory :D

XJ4IV
08-22-2012, 08:51 PM
best location for an CB antenna is actually dead center on your cowl!!! if you think about it... how much stuff actually hits your windshield strong enought to break an antenna
http://www.oramagazine.com/images/0511-nov/051101t-xxxpedition/04photo01.jpg

prerunner1982
08-22-2012, 09:51 PM
May be hard to do with the curve of the fender.

Don't know if it is possible to modify the stock antenna base to accept the CB antenna.

Mudderoy
08-23-2012, 04:32 AM
best location for an CB antenna is actually dead center on your cowl!!! if you think about it... how much stuff actually hits your windshield strong enought to break an antenna
http://www.oramagazine.com/images/0511-nov/051101t-xxxpedition/04photo01.jpg

When he says "best" he's not talking about best radiation pattern for transmission and reception. That would be in the middle of the roof.

SeniorGustas
08-23-2012, 06:19 PM
my stock antenna was loose in this hole, I used silicone sealant and it looks like factory :D

Got any pictures of it? did you put the stock antenns back in or did you put a CB in its place?

oderdene
08-23-2012, 08:13 PM
Got any pictures of it? did you put the stock antenns back in or did you put a CB in its place?

it is stock antenna, stopped going up/down,

Carves
08-23-2012, 08:20 PM
When he says "best" he's not talking about best radiation pattern for transmission and reception. That would be in the middle of the roof.

X 2 ....

.... altho the roof in his piccy ... looks just a little bit "cluttered" .. :D

Dunno for sure ... but I think Ive seen aftermarket rubber/nylon mouldings for edge of the fender, antennae mounting ?? ... might be worth talking to a car stereo fitting mob - and see if they know of anything ??

XJ4IV
08-24-2012, 12:08 AM
I just think that seeing as how we use our CB's to communicate with someone within a 1/2 mile to a 1 mile range that MOST folks are not worried about furthest transmission, I had mine tuned while it was attached to the top of my roof rack (catches every tree) and my signal was good for 5 miles before it got fuzzy, I had a guy in Mckinney texas with a landbase unit tune my radio and antenna and I was 5 miles from his house still doing fine when he said that it was starting to break up!
that being said Id say that you can locate it just about ANYWHERE on the jeep... but this thread is about placing it in the factory antenna location, and to help with that you MIGHT look into the brand caled "firestick" they are thicker than usual ones and MUCH stronger, most truckers use them but you can get them in a length as short as 2 feet, mine was only a 3 foot one that ranged the 5 miles

prerunner1982
08-24-2012, 10:31 AM
well since someone removed the pic in my original post, here it is again... hopefully all the power folks in here can just leave peoples posts alone

Calm down killer... it's still there. Every time I have looked at this thread it has been there. If someone removed it I am sure it purely by accident.

I just snipped this...

4.3LXJ
08-24-2012, 10:42 AM
I saw it all the times I read through the posts

XJ4IV
08-24-2012, 04:22 PM
i refreshed my page about 6 times to see where it had gone and every time it still wasnt there... its there now though

Mudderoy
08-27-2012, 04:56 AM
I just think that seeing as how we use our CB's to communicate with someone within a 1/2 mile to a 1 mile range that MOST folks are not worried about furthest transmission, I had mine tuned while it was attached to the top of my roof rack (catches every tree) and my signal was good for 5 miles before it got fuzzy, I had a guy in Mckinney texas with a landbase unit tune my radio and antenna and I was 5 miles from his house still doing fine when he said that it was starting to break up!
that being said Id say that you can locate it just about ANYWHERE on the jeep... but this thread is about placing it in the factory antenna location, and to help with that you MIGHT look into the brand caled "firestick" they are thicker than usual ones and MUCH stronger, most truckers use them but you can get them in a length as short as 2 feet, mine was only a 3 foot one that ranged the 5 miles

Okay but the optimal antenna placement is in the center of the roof. Everything else is a compromise. And what is this "we" business. You're assuming the CB will be used to speak with other people on the trail, it may be used from a camp site miles and miles away from anyone else in an emergency situation. This is another reason I recommend having a spare magnetic mount antenna so if you roll your Jeep you can run the antenna and coax to the radio and call for help.