PDA

View Full Version : Wife wants new car

Joliet Johnny
08-22-2012, 11:00 AM
My wife pays the last payment on her 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer today. The car hasnt hit 80k yet. Her dad suggests she get a new car and her friend Id strike mute if given 3 wishes. Her dad used the "you will always have a car payment" thing and wants to co sign. Her friend who finds a nickle and spends a quarter brings up the "it will build your credit" speech. I have found the best way to get what I want with my wife is to use delay tactics. I have suggested she keep making the "car payment" to a savings account with the hopes people will butt out long enough to build a good down payment (like maybe the price of the newish car less sale of current one). What would you all do/say in my position?

OrangeXJ
08-22-2012, 11:42 AM
With less than 80k on it I would drive it for another year or 2 while putting payments in a savings account for a down payment.

Mudderoy
08-22-2012, 11:45 AM
My wife pays the last payment on her 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer today. The car hasnt hit 80k yet. Her dad suggests she get a new car and her friend Id strike mute if given 3 wishes. Her dad used the "you will always have a car payment" thing and wants to co sign. Her friend who finds a nickle and spends a quarter brings up the "it will build your credit" speech. I have found the best way to get what I want with my wife is to use delay tactics. I have suggested she keep making the "car payment" to a savings account with the hopes people will butt out long enough to build a good down payment (like maybe the price of the newish car less sale of current one). What would you all do/say in my position?

She doesn't like it? She wants that new car smell? You might want to try adding something new to it to make it more interesting to her. Stereo, wheels, Sirus subscription? $10 < $300 a month...

Besides at least until the election is over. If Obama gets back in I fear the economy will get worse. Either way it's a good "logical" thing you can use to create a delay. You could go either way with it too. Romney will make it worse or Obama will make it worse, just pick one when you tell her. lol

Joliet Johnny
08-22-2012, 11:48 AM
I suggested a body kit, and I could install a new carpet cause I think thats where the smell comes from.

Mudderoy
08-22-2012, 11:50 AM
I suggested a body kit, and I could install a new carpet cause I think thats where the smell comes from.

Well at least with the sat radio it could move to the new vehicle.

Joliet Johnny
08-22-2012, 11:54 AM
I had sat radio in it but she didnt like it...
Wish I was into Mitsubishis cause it is a good car, I just think the non turbo/automatic Lancer is a very boring car. Feelings that are only shared on sites she wont visit...

DETOURS
08-22-2012, 07:36 PM
Don't listen to Tony, he fears humidity..............consider trading in the wife, we all would like something new.....why someone would want to continue making payments is beyond me, ya'll are married......image is secondary at best at this point.

It's transportation.....not a cedar hot tub.

2 Cents..

Carves
08-22-2012, 07:52 PM
I'd be looking at income first ... then everything you pair want to do with your lives ...

and put "needs" before "wants" .. ;)

Yes little jap buzzboxes are boring vehicles ... as are their 4x4s ... but at 80k and paid for ...

... If its in good nick ... why change it ??

oderdene
08-22-2012, 09:02 PM
Yes little jap buzzboxes are boring vehicles ... as are their 4x4s ... but at 80k and paid for ...

... If its in good nick ... why change it ??

2X

Firemanray
08-22-2012, 09:09 PM
I bought my wife a brand new "low end" car 6 years ago. She drove it for 96,000 miles while she went back to school to get her degree. I promised her she could get a new car when she signed a contract on her new job after she graduated. 2 weeks ago she got herself a 2012 Chevy Traverse (contract signed!!).

As far as your problem goes I don't heve many answers. I do advise not to buy "showroom new", pick something up that is 1 to 2 years old, let someone else take the depreciation hit.

Joliet Johnny
08-23-2012, 12:27 AM
Its going to happen. We have lots of disposable income so money isnt the issue. I may be able to get her to wait till spring but I have showed her on ebay where the value of new cars fall off a couple K real quick. Im not a fan of KIA cars so I found pics of them wrecked. She is leaning towards a VW Beetle. Also her dad suggested I get a Jeep Patriot and offered to cosign but I shall keep my XJ.

OrangeXJ
08-23-2012, 09:48 AM
Its going to happen. We have lots of disposable income so money isnt the issue. I may be able to get her to wait till spring but I have showed her on ebay where the value of new cars fall off a couple K real quick. Im not a fan of KIA cars so I found pics of them wrecked. She is leaning towards a VW Beetle. Also her dad suggested I get a Jeep Patriot and offered to cosign but I shall keep my XJ.

my 2 cents stay away from the VW I know several people that have them and they are in the shop more than on the road

denverd1
08-23-2012, 11:46 AM
Cars, cars, cars. We americans are made to believe a car payment the size of a house payment is a good idea and we should all be doing it from age 16 until we die. I've stopped drinking the koolaid personally. Got 140K on my Sequoia and its still running strong.

wisdom

pick something up that is 1 to 2 years old, let someone else take the depreciation hit.

other than that, but something that will last and drive it longer than the note is for. In my book, thats a Toyota or an older Jeep.

Mudderoy
08-23-2012, 11:53 AM
Cars, cars, cars. We americans are made to believe a car payment the size of a house payment is a good idea and we should all be doing it from age 16 until we die. I've stopped drinking the koolaid personally. Got 140K on my Sequoia and its still running strong.

wisdom

other than that, but something that will last and drive it longer than the note is for. In my book, thats a Toyota or an older Jeep.

We need to come up with and OPEN SOURCE Jeep.

Brasscatz
08-23-2012, 10:32 PM
We made our last car payment on my wife's Jeep in July. It felt GREAT signing that last check! NO CAR PAYMENTS!!! We're keeping her car until the wheels fall off, and we're saving money for a trip to Scotland next year, among saving for a bigger house and having children.

I agree with passing on the New Beetle. I can't say about the newest body style since I haven't worked on one, but back at my old shop we had one come in with 30k miles needing a new engine. It was a 1.8L gas turbo I believe. We had to take pretty much the entire front of the car apart to get the motor out... and that's pretty much what you'll have to do just to change an alternator!

Bottom line, if momma ain't happy, nobody's happy. If she's dead set on a new car, Chevy Cruze gets amazing gas mileage, has a turbo, and is fairly priced in the lower 20's even with ALL the bells and whistles. Reliable would be a Toyota or Honda, although if you go with the Corolla you won't be too happy if you aren't impressed with your Mitsubishi.

oderdene
08-24-2012, 12:44 AM
someone of us said:

HAPPY WIFE = HAPPY LIFE :D :D :D

07Negative
08-24-2012, 01:08 AM
I agree with what you typed in the first post. It only makes financial sense. Who even cares if you have disposable income. Why give the bank your money? You pay 20K for the car on the lot, but factor in interest over the coarse of 4-6 years. You can easily be in the 22-25K at the end of the deal.
I buy all my vehicles and motorcycles in cash only. I financed one car when I was 17. I swore I'd never do it again.
I feel your pain on outside opinions. Look at who's giving the advice. Poor credit score, can't rent and apartment on their own, everything they own is on lease. It's like taking marriage advice from a therapist who's been divorced 3 times.

Joliet Johnny
08-24-2012, 03:36 AM
I think Im going to use the car purchase to stay where were at for a while. We each make enough money on our own to pay all the bills if need be. We have 0 credit cards, I always store them in my paper shredder. Our apartment is $675 + $110 for my 1.5 car storage unit, which is real cheap for this area. I fear if we are to get in over our heads and jobloss strikes we would have to live in an XJ. A bigger place would cost more at the end of the year than interest payments and she agrees so battle was a tie?