PDA

View Full Version : Towing question

Superkirby
08-18-2012, 09:15 AM
I think I'm going to go ahead and get the 93 and have my Dad pull it back here next month. Just to make sure, with an automatic, the only way to pull it on a dolly is to disconnect the driveshaft, right? Somewhere I seem to remember someone telling me if the transmission and the transfer case were in neutral, it was ok. It doesn't seem right to me, but I thought I would ask.

Mudderoy
08-18-2012, 09:45 AM
I think I'm going to go ahead and get the 93 and have my Dad pull it back here next month. Just to make sure, with an automatic, the only way to pull it on a dolly is to disconnect the driveshaft, right? Somewhere I seem to remember someone telling me if the transmission and the transfer case were in neutral, it was ok. It doesn't seem right to me, but I thought I would ask.

I'd like to know this too. Neutral makes sense, however some of the internals are still going to be moving. Removing the drive shaft is really easy, the harder part will be keeping the fluid in the transmission. Maybe a heavy bag and some duck tape?

nickxj94
08-18-2012, 10:03 AM
I believe you put transfer case and trans in neutral.I'm not 100% sure tho. It should say in a manual but I don't have one lol.

Sent from my SCH-M828C using Tapatalk 2

OrangeXJ
08-18-2012, 10:05 AM

I use to pull mine all over the place behind my motor home all you have to do is put the transfer case in neutral and the tranaission in park with the ignition swich on so the strearing wheel was un locked. This was with a tow bar. If you are going to use a dolly just put the tc in neutral.

Joliet Johnny
08-18-2012, 12:31 PM
I use to pull mine all over the place behind my motor home all you have to do is put the transfer case in neutral and the tranaission in park with the ignition swich on so the strearing wheel was un locked. This was with a tow bar. If you are going to use a dolly just put the tc in neutral.

I just check the owners manual and your spot on. Curious if towing adds miles to the odometer?

OrangeXJ
08-18-2012, 01:09 PM
I just check the owners manual and your spot on. Curious if towing adds miles to the odometer?

not sure never checked it

XJ Wheeler
08-18-2012, 09:28 PM
It may be a pain but i have to suggest a bracket to hold the lever in neutral. I've heard tales of towing, when the lever skips out of neutral and grenades the t-case.

Cartman4241
08-18-2012, 11:29 PM
It may be a pain but i have to suggest a bracket to hold the lever in neutral. I've heard tales of towing, when the lever skips out of neutral and grenades the t-case.

Now that would suck!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Superkirby
08-19-2012, 01:10 AM
Thanks for all the replies. So is there any reason this wouldn't work?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Reese-Towpower-Adjustable-Tow-Bar/15125825

I looked around and to rent a dolly it looks like it would be just under $300 so that ain't gonna happen.

OrangeXJ
08-19-2012, 06:50 AM
Thanks for all the replies. So is there any reason this wouldn't work?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Reese-Towpower-Adjustable-Tow-Bar/15125825

I looked around and to rent a dolly it looks like it would be just under $300 so that ain't gonna happen.

thats what I had worked great

Mudderoy
08-19-2012, 07:59 AM

Of course the transfer case! lol

Superkirby
08-19-2012, 10:06 AM
I don't have an owners manual, and I don't doubt what you're saying, but why would you put it in park instead of neutral?

OrangeXJ
08-19-2012, 10:15 AM
I don't have an owners manual, and I don't doubt what you're saying, but why would you put it in park instead of neutral?

I think it is to make sure the trans does not turn and burn up the pump

XJMJeep
08-19-2012, 12:28 PM
I towed my 86 MJ home behind my 93 XJ over 100 miles with that exact tow bar.
Remember to allow extra time for stopping and when making tight turns the rig being towed can push the rear of the towing rig around a bit so use caution in corners.

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb432/XJMJeep/1986%20Comanche/100_1081.jpg

Cartman4241
08-21-2012, 05:41 AM
I towed my 86 MJ home behind my 93 XJ over 100 miles with that exact tow bar.
Remember to allow extra time for stopping and when making tight turns the rig being towed can push the rear of the towing rig around a bit so use caution in corners.

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb432/XJMJeep/1986%20Comanche/100_1081.jpg

I want to buy a tow bar but my friends are saying don't do it. I used one once to tow a sandrail home and everything went smooth.

4.3LXJ
08-21-2012, 08:50 AM
Nothing wrong with flat towing. As posted, allow extra time for stopping. And use a complete set of lights wired from your towing vehicle. You either need to remove the rear driveline or use the tcase in neutral. It has its own pump so it will get lubricated. The auto tranny needs to be in park to keep it from turning over without lubrication. It doesn't matter on a standard tranny. On vehicles without the vac disconnect, remove the front driveline because it will be in 4WD.

Superkirby
08-21-2012, 10:58 AM
Sounds good. Pending a final inspection by my dad his buddy that's super mechanically-oriented I will be getting it and it will be towed back with a tow bar. Found a bar and set of lights for under $100, so it's really not too bad.
I'll let everyone know what happens in a few days.

Cartman4241
08-21-2012, 11:39 AM
Nothing wrong with flat towing. As posted, allow extra time for stopping. And use a complete set of lights wired from your towing vehicle. You either need to remove the rear driveline or use the tcase in neutral. It has its own pump so it will get lubricated. The auto tranny needs to be in park to keep it from turning over without lubrication. It doesn't matter on a standard tranny. On vehicles without the vac disconnect, remove the front driveline because it will be in 4WD.

Thanks I am going to pick up a tow bar soon buying a trailer right now isn't really an option. Thanks again