PDA

View Full Version : 98 XJ to a 94 ZJ motor swap. Will it work?

troys96xj
08-17-2012, 11:52 AM
I have a 98xj motor in my 96 XJ. I had to mod it a little to make it work. I'm parting out my 96 and was wondering if it will work and fit in my 94ZJ? All 3 Jeeps are 4.0's. My ZJ is in good shape but the motor is tired, will this work? Thanks for your help!

Cheromaniac
08-18-2012, 05:20 AM
Yea, it'll work fine. The only differences might be the bolt holes for the belt-driven accessories and maybe a different water pump, so you might need to do some minor mods to make it all work.
You could consider rebuilding your tired old '94 motor as a 4.6L stroker later on to give it a new lease of life.

troys96xj
08-20-2012, 08:11 AM
Yea, it'll work fine. The only differences might be the bolt holes for the belt-driven accessories and maybe a different water pump, so you might need to do some minor mods to make it all work.
You could consider rebuilding your tired old '94 motor as a 4.6L stroker later on to give it a new lease of life.

Could I just put the XJ motor in the ZJ as a complete motor with the XJ accessories?

bluedragon436
08-20-2012, 08:24 AM
I would think it should be a pretty straight forward swap over.. As they are both OBDI engines... I would think you could probably use the same accessories, but I am also thinking you shouldn't have an issue using the ZJ accessories, as the blocks and mounting points should all be the same... or at least have the mounting points needed for the ZJ stuff on the block if they weren't the same as the XJ was using...

XJ Wheeler
08-20-2012, 11:03 AM
I believe '96 and up XJs were obd2, right?

troys96xj
08-21-2012, 06:22 AM
94 obd1 96 obd2

4.3LXJ
08-21-2012, 08:46 AM
You can get the engine to work, but you will need to change the forward coolant temp sensor and the complete intake. The one you have is OBDII and you are putting it in an OBDI Jeep. So all sensors on the intake will have to be changed. Use your OBDI exhaust too.

Cheromaniac
08-21-2012, 10:44 AM
Could I just put the XJ motor in the ZJ as a complete motor with the XJ accessories?

The easiest way to do it is to put the '96 XJ long block into your ZJ and bolt up your ZJ intake manifold, exhaust manifold, and ZJ accessories to it. You might want to check if the ZJ water pump will fit, otherwise use the XJ pump.
Any Jeep from '96 up is OBD 2 but that doesn't matter here 'cause you're keeping all your ZJ's OBD1 electronic hardware.