PDA

View Full Version : Engine Swap

Superkirby
08-16-2012, 09:27 AM
I haven't pulled the trigger yet on buying the other parts 93 asked about here

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=11444

I did talk him into seperating them and selling me just the 93 for $600. I can't get him any lower what with the almost new tires and wheels in the back. There's a few things stopping me right now.
1- it's in better shape with less rust than what I have now, but is it so much better that I want to spend the money on it?
2- unfortunately where I'm at right now $600 is a pretty large chunk of change
3- it's in WY and I'm in MN. My parents live in the same town as it so they've been the ones looking at it. My Dad offered to pick it up and haul it
out here next month when they come out to visit.
4- I've never swapped an engine. What should I expect doing it? It seems like it should be a pretty straight forward process. It's a 4.0/AT swap from a 93 to another 93 with a 4.0/AT. The only difference is the XJ on the receiving end is a fancier model, so it has A/C and actual guages.
Is there anything I should expect to run into - Any added costs or problems?
Is it reasonable to think I could do this swap with help from another person in a weekend?
Anything I would need to change other than fluids?
Should there be any problem adding the AC set up to the swapped in engine?
Any good recommendations or resources to check out would be greatly appreciated. I'm not dumb and I think I could do it, but at the same time I also have a tendency to jump into things without knowing what I'm getting myself into.

Thanks in advance for any help. I'm sure if I actually go through with it there will be a lot more questions.

Mudderoy
08-16-2012, 10:26 AM

I did talk him into seperating them and selling me just the 93 for $600. I can't get him any lower what with the almost new tires and wheels in the back. There's a few things stopping me right now.
1- it's in better shape with less rust than what I have now, but is it so much better that I want to spend the money on it?
3- it's in WY and I'm in MN. My parents live in the same town as it so they've been the ones looking at it. My Dad offered to pick it up and haul it
4- I've never swapped an engine. What should I expect doing it? It seems like it should be a pretty straight forward process. It's a 4.0/AT swap from a 93 to another 93 with a 4.0/AT. The only difference is the XJ on the receiving end is a fancier model, so it has A/C and actual guages.
Is it reasonable to think I could do this swap with help from another person in a weekend?
Any good recommendations or resources to check out would be greatly appreciated. I'm not dumb and I think I could do it, but at the same time I also have a tendency to jump into things without knowing what I'm getting myself into.

Thanks in advance for any help. I'm sure if I actually go through with it there will be a lot more questions.

I haven't swapped and engine in years, and it was a small block chevy. I'll be swapping my 4.0L in about a week. Two things that I can think of is having a good way to lift and move the engine into place, and make sure you get lock tight for the flexplate to torque converter bolts. I would inspect the flexplate very carefully for ANY cracks, because replacing with the engine out would be a much easier way than removing the tranny later.

Oh and have a close look a the freeze plugs. Cheap and replacing all of them would be a good idea, again time savings later.

I'll know more in a little over a week. ;)

bigjim350
08-16-2012, 02:44 PM
Sure it can be done in a weekend, but I wouldn't expect it.

Sent from my nerdy smartphone

nickxj94
08-16-2012, 03:49 PM

IMO if the 93 is in better condition and had a clean title runs then put your tranny and tcase in it and keep yours for parts :D

Sent from my SCH-M828C using Tapatalk 2