PDA

View Full Version : Starter Woes

xjrev10
08-14-2012, 11:17 AM
This is in regards to my 91 MJ, 4.0, auto, 2wd.

I been having strange issues the past couple days with the starter. I have ruled out a battery issue.

When the starter itself is warm, it does not want to turn over. It will but it does so extremely slow. The reason I say warm is that even when the jeep sits in the sun all day it has trouble turning over. But of course it will never do it at home because its usually 4 in the morning when im leaving the house and the starter would be cool at that time. I was just out in the yard a little bit ago and tried it; jeeps been sitting in the shade and its probably only 60 above, worked like a charm.:bang:

It has not left me stranded...yet. I just dont know if this could be a starter motor problem, solenoid issue, wiring problem.....

I just dont want to get stranded at work with the dang thing. I work in a mine and its not like someone can just drive through security and come pick me up at work.....almost like working on a air force base or something..

cantab27
08-14-2012, 01:25 PM
test ya battery???i know you said ya did whats its holding on volt meter ...do you wheel..pull starter 10 minute job and follow detours wee write up...

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1574

let us know........

xjrev10
08-14-2012, 08:56 PM
test ya battery???i know you said ya did whats its holding on volt meter ...do you wheel..pull starter 10 minute job and follow detours wee write up...

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1574

let us know........

No battery issues. I have 3 good battery's and it does it with all of them. Today its been symptom free which doesn't make it any easier...

Intermittent problems suck!! Usually starters just quit working in my experience.

cantab27
08-14-2012, 09:00 PM
pull the starter and clean it...have ya got a spare ya can try...

4.3LXJ
08-14-2012, 10:25 PM
Sounds like you narrowed it down already. Hot starter, weak starter.

xjrev10
08-14-2012, 11:57 PM
Sounds like you narrowed it down already. Hot starter, weak starter.

I do have a spare. Just gotta find the time to swap it in. I'll post up when o figure this out.

I'll most likely just replace it. I have been using this rig as a DD so it's worth it to replace the whole unit. The reason for posting was to break my curiosity of anyone else having a issue like this in the past.

4.3LXJ
08-15-2012, 12:52 AM
I have heard of it happening, but never to me

oderdene
08-15-2012, 03:53 AM
mine had a similar symptom, but not hot/cold. I suspect battery, turning very slow. but actually it was starter motor brush. time to time it wear and having contact issue

denverd1
08-15-2012, 07:15 AM
Contacts all good? My sequoia just did this, fired up every morning and almost left me stranded during the day. Ended up being pos battery contact corrosion. JY starter is 40$ and really is a 10 min job.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

xjrev10
08-21-2012, 05:40 AM
I have not done anything with this issue. I have been driving it everyday and it seems the problem went away. I'm just waiting now for it to strand me somewhere...

Thanks for the input guys!

cherokeemudslinger
08-21-2012, 09:30 AM
I had the same issue with my 89 xj hot starter eoukd equal a slow dragging or no start i finally replaced it after cleaning and putting back in a couple times . Easier just to replace

denverd1
08-21-2012, 10:57 AM
I got an extra starter is ya want it. Was working fine when I replaced it chasing down my electrical issues. $50 shipped