PDA

View Full Version : Drivers Side Fan Question

dagod16
08-14-2012, 10:34 AM
I have a 2001 XJ 4x4 , it has two fans.

The fan on the right(passenger side) is running all the time, it runs slow and faster at times.

But what about my left fan or the driver's side fan? When does it turn on. Mine is not moving, does it turn on at a specific temperature?

I'm not overheating but it's not hot out and my cooling system is running perfect, but if the fan is not working then I want to fix it.

Thanks

Rob

nickxj94
08-14-2012, 11:08 AM
Usually when you turn the AC on or if temp reaches 218* it will come on

Sent from my SCH-M828C using Tapatalk 2

dagod16
08-14-2012, 01:02 PM
I did try that.
I turn the AC on high and the fan switch on HIGH and the drivers side passenger fan did not move.

Keep in mind my temp is about 195 to 200 all the time. IT does not need it, but I am worried it may be broken.

I would rather have the fan working than not at all.

Keep the thoughts coming.

Rob

Mudderoy
08-14-2012, 01:35 PM
A buddy of mine here at work claims his 2000 XJ electric fan does NOT come on when he turns on the A/C. It does come on when the coolant temp reaches that magical number, 215, 218, or something.

I've never had a 2000, but I know the 1998 and 1999 both work the same. The electric fan kicks on with the A/C, well specifically when the A/C compressor comes on.

Does anyone know if the 2000/2001 electric fans work differently than prior years?

dagod16
08-14-2012, 03:42 PM
Well the fan directly in front of the compressor comes on when I start the jeep, it runs slow at first and when I turn on the AC it does run faster. The fan in front of the AC compressor also has the fan clutch.

The fan in front of the driver or the left side looking out of the window, or closer to the power steering fluid bottle is the fan that does not come on.

So the drivers side fan just won't come on until I hit a specific temp?

Rob

nickxj94
08-14-2012, 03:42 PM
My 2000 works just like my 94 with AC on or when it hits 218. May have a bad fuse? Take and unplug the fan get a couple wires and run to the battery from the fan plug and see if it comes on.

Sent from my SCH-M828C using Tapatalk 2

Mudderoy
08-14-2012, 04:20 PM
Well the fan directly in front of the compressor comes on when I start the jeep, it runs slow at first and when I turn on the AC it does run faster. The fan in front of the AC compressor also has the fan clutch.

The fan in front of the driver or the left side looking out of the window, or closer to the power steering fluid bottle is the fan that does not come on.

So the drivers side fan just won't come on until I hit a specific temp?

Rob

The fan on the passenger's side is a mechanical fan. It turns when the engine turns. The fan on the driver's side is electric. It comes on with the A/C compressor or when the coolant temp hits 215/218 degrees.

Carves
08-14-2012, 07:04 PM
The elec aux fan works differently on 2000/2001 models according to what Ive read.

Its still activated by the PCM at about that 218* temp ... but the A/C side of the operation is different- but I think its only in relation to vent outlet selection.

A quick and dirty test is simply - unplug the coolant temp sensor with the ignition on ... and the fan should start up.

Be aware there might be a temporary CEL & stored code for a while - because of doing that.

XJ Wheeler
08-14-2012, 07:19 PM
The fan on the passengers side is a mechanical fan. It turns when the engine turns. The fan on the driver's side is electric. It comes on with the A/C compressor or when the coolant temp hits 215/218 degrees.

Fixed it for ya Muddy.

dagod16
08-15-2012, 10:25 AM
I have an official answer from the dealership.

You guys were correct!! as usual.

That fan on the drivers side only turns on when the engine hit 218 degree.

Since I am running at 195 to 200 degrees then the fan will not come on.

I can't tell you how excited I am that now I am running a lower temp instead of 210 degrees.

I ran 210 for 175K and after changing the thermostat and water pump and fan clutch it runs much cooler. I think 10 to 15 degrees is a good reward for doing maintanence on the jeep.

Also why does the fan clutch squeel a bit some times, I think it was mudderoy said his does the same. So any thoughts on that.

Thanks again everyone,

I love this site. Seriously, it helps so much.

I also love youtube

Joliet Johnny
08-15-2012, 10:38 AM
Wow I never knew this. Since I bought my Jeep Ive been paranoid of it overheating and I remember a couple 100° days of sitting in traffic with the heat on full.

dagod16
08-15-2012, 01:21 PM
I feel the same way.

OVer the last 177K my temp was exactly 210 and now it runs 195 to 200 and I feel much better.

If it gets too hot it will damage stuff.

Stuff like head gasket......radiator since it has plastic parts, transmission.

The dealer also told me that he has vehicles come driving in that have well over 300,000 on them.

Carves
08-15-2012, 07:48 PM
The fan on the passenger's side is a mechanical fan. It turns when the engine turns. The fan on the driver's side is electric. It comes on with the A/C compressor or when the coolant temp hits 215/218 degrees.

Fixed it for ya Muddy.

geeezz you blokes ...

You have my dog soooo confused ... :D

... I have to keep explaining to her - that you'se drive on the wrong side of the road over there ... :p .. :D

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n629/carves-oz/Vehicle%20Bits/EngineB01.jpg

Also why does the fan clutch squeel a bit some times, I think it was mudderoy said his does the same. So any thoughts on that.

Normally a squeal will be associated with the belt or an idler pulley ... maybe even the A/C compressor ??

Could be a bearing issue with the fanclutch tho.

dagod16
08-15-2012, 08:17 PM
The fan clutch has bearings?

4.3LXJ
08-15-2012, 08:39 PM
Yes

Carves
08-15-2012, 08:46 PM

Sliced & Diced fanclutch pic ... http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/461360

Item 32 in fig 5. ... http://www.google.com/patents?id=VeopAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4#v=onepage&q&f=false

... and I'll add waterpump bearing squeal too ... coz I think you fellas have the fanclutch mounted on the waterpump ???

Mudderoy
08-15-2012, 09:18 PM
Wow I never knew this. Since I bought my Jeep Ive been paranoid of it overheating and I remember a couple 100° days of sitting in traffic with the heat on full.

This is why ANY question should be fair to ask on a forum, or a XJ talk show! You never know who will benefit from the question and the answer. Hell sometimes it's the person answering that finds out they were wrong! :rotfl2:

Mudderoy
08-15-2012, 09:30 PM

I was thinking lose belt, very common. Squeaks a lot when you first start the vehicle. Squeak will go away if you turn off the A/C, or drive a little bit. If it's really lose the volt meter will drop during the squeaking.

nickxj94
08-15-2012, 10:04 PM
I was thinking lose belt, very common. Squeaks a lot when you first start the vehicle. Squeak will go away if you turn off the A/C, or drive a little bit. If it's really lose the volt meter will drop during the squeaking.

My 2000 does this! Lol

dagod16
08-15-2012, 10:19 PM
Inside it? If that is the case then I can't do much. The belt is just the right tightness. When it makes a squeel it's short and over fast.

nickxj94
08-16-2012, 12:33 AM
Inside it? If that is the case then I can't do much. The belt is just the right tightness. When it makes a squeel it's short and over fast.

Its probably the belt then,try and tighten it up a little. I haven't yet cause I need a belt I only have half of one the balancer ate the other half when it come apart.

dagod16
08-16-2012, 06:38 AM
I'm not sure it can get any tighter. Every mans dream, right!!!

Mudderoy
08-16-2012, 10:36 AM
I'm not sure it can get any tighter. Every mans dream, right!!!

Well that may not be the squeaking. Get one of these so you don't over tighten and ruin the bearing in the water pump.

http://xjtalk.com/images/special/JeepBeltTool.jpg

Amazon.com: Gates 91132 Belt Tension Tester: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21ZYuyXcP3L.@@AMEPARAM@@21ZYuyXcP3L

Shameless plug => Don't forget to click on the Amazon banner ad (xjtalk home page) prior to making your Amazon purchases!

dagod16
08-16-2012, 09:16 PM
I'm gonna buy that.

When I had my AC looked at I had the guy look at the belt and he said it was fine.

dagod16
08-26-2012, 04:45 PM
Ok, We all know that the drivers side fan does not turn on until the temperature of the engine hits 218 degree and it's used as a backup fan.

I started my jeep and then walked into the garage and moved some things, and I heard that fan turn on for about 2 or 3 seconds and then turn off. I thought hmmmmm

So I popped the hood and rested my arms on the side of the jeep watching to see if it comes on again. Sure enough that drivers side fan came on for a few seconds (2 or 3) and then shut off.

And every 20 to 30 seconds it would come on and turn off.

I don't know if it does this all the time or once in a while, and I can't check it while I am driving.

My jeep is not overheating, in fat it wasn't even up to operating temp yet, and operating temp for me is 200 degrees on the nose.

Does this fan go through some system checks right at start up?

Someone please help. It's the original fan, maybe it just needs to be replaced.

Thanks

Rob

nickxj94
08-26-2012, 05:12 PM
If the AC was on it does that normally on my 2000 xj but my 94 it runs constantly with AC on,and if AC is off it only comes on a 215*, so I believe its normal for them to cycle off and on with the AC clutch

4.3LXJ
08-26-2012, 05:25 PM
Yeah, it is coming on with the AC pump. Does your AC work right?

Mudderoy
08-26-2012, 08:13 PM
Ok, We all know that the drivers side fan does not turn on until the temperature of the engine hits 218 degree and it's used as a backup fan.

I started my jeep and then walked into the garage and moved some things, and I heard that fan turn on for about 2 or 3 seconds and then turn off. I thought hmmmmm

So I popped the hood and rested my arms on the side of the jeep watching to see if it comes on again. Sure enough that drivers side fan came on for a few seconds (2 or 3) and then shut off.

And every 20 to 30 seconds it would come on and turn off.

I don't know if it does this all the time or once in a while, and I can't check it while I am driving.

My jeep is not overheating, in fat it wasn't even up to operating temp yet, and operating temp for me is 200 degrees on the nose.

Does this fan go through some system checks right at start up?

Someone please help. It's the original fan, maybe it just needs to be replaced.

Thanks

Rob

If the A/C clutch engages for two or three seconds then shuts off your electric fan will do the same thing.