PDA

View Full Version : When looking for a donor Jeep

ArmyGuy45
08-13-2012, 10:10 AM
Im sure its always best to get another Cherokee, but if you found a good deal on a Grand Cherokee what would you look for in a donor? I would assume you would want the I6 vs the 8 but does the GC use the same tranny? Also do axles bolt up to both the GC and Cherokee?

4.3LXJ
08-13-2012, 10:26 AM
The ZJ uses a different transmission and many times a full time tcase that is not what you would want in a wheeler. The front end is the same, but the rear needs the hardware removed and spring pads welded on to be used.

nickxj94
08-13-2012, 10:30 AM
If it's a Zj the front axle is the same and steering parts, you can use the rear disc off them to convert the xj to disc,booster and master cylinder, steering box,front seats, rear axle shafts will fit in a xj d35 if Zj has d35. Gas tank skid plate,engine and tranny should if you use them together, not sure what else maybe some others will chime in as well.

Sent from my SCH-M828C using Tapatalk 2

ArmyGuy45
08-13-2012, 10:58 AM
Is there any GC that came with D44? What about using a Rubicon for parts? Same tranny as the Cherokee?

nickxj94
08-13-2012, 11:21 AM
The wj but there aluminum housing and not direct bolt in as the grand Cherokees are coil spring rear suspension.

Sent from my SCH-M828C using Tapatalk 2

xjrev10
08-13-2012, 11:32 AM
Is there any GC that came with D44? What about using a Rubicon for parts? Same tranny as the Cherokee?

What tranny are you getting at?
Cherokee manuals- AX-5, AX15, NV3550, pukegoat
Cherokee auto, AW4.

You can use any wrangler trans but the clocking of the t case is different and will require some body work (hammering) sometimes to fit.

TJ rubicon parts are cool. I'm planning on using a nsg370 6-speed manual and maybe a 241 RockTrac case in my MJ project. A TJ rubicon Dana 44 is not a real 44. It uses Dana 30 knuckles and hub assembly's..

Somebody's gotta have a link or something to lead this guy in the correct direction. We could use the whole bandwidth explaining every variation!!!

Yer best bet for any donor rig for a Cherokee is another Cherokee, 91+ unless you have a older REnix injected rig.

I'm using WJ master/booster and jeep liberty brakes in my MJ.

4.3LXJ
08-13-2012, 12:32 PM
The D44a is the same size and strength. But there are differences between it and the old standby D44. So aftermarket support is limited because the ring and pinion are slightly different. Also, the "locker" in them was the computer control of the parking brake to modify traction.

But to be honest, a ZJ is not a really good donor. Some parts are cool for us, but not as a whole

ArmyGuy45
08-13-2012, 02:40 PM
The D44a is the same size and strength. But there are differences between it and the old standby D44. So aftermarket support is limited because the ring and pinion are slightly different. Also, the "locker" in them was the computer control of the parking brake to modify traction.

But to be honest, a ZJ is not a really good donor. Some parts are cool for us, but not as a whole

Thanks for all of the advice. Will look for another Cherokee.