PDA

View Full Version : Fixing the dead spot in your steering

07Negative
08-12-2012, 07:11 PM
So I recently replaced my TRE's on my Rusty's Steering conversion kit. Long over due. Well since then. I've been having this awful amount of slop in my steering. Commonly referred to as, "The dead spot."
Apparently your suppose to use poly spacers on your TRE in lieu of the dust boot. I'm speaking of the TRE on the tie rod that connects to the knuckle. I didn't have these spacers on before. I didn't get that dead spot before. I don't know why. And I'm not about to begin to theorize on it. But I finally found what I've been needing this past week. If you are in the same place I've been in. You will need to of these spacers. One for each end. Assuming your running a similar steering kit as I am. Personally. I don't recommend the Rusty's kit. Nothing all that wrong with it. I just know that there are better kits out there for just a few bucks more. For now, my current drag link and tie rod are temporary.
http://www.jcroffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=J&Screen=PROD&Category_Code=S6&Product_Code=PLYBSH

Hopefully this helps someone else out. It was actually hard finding what I needed.

xjmarc
08-12-2012, 08:10 PM
All crossover steering kits suffer from this. That's why they sell the poly spacers. I tried turning one tre one way and the other the opposite way and it took it out but wore them out quicker. Better solution is to get a high steer kit where the drag link attaches to the knuckle and not the tie rod. My current setup attaches to the drag link but I used heims and not tres and have no roll steer.

07Negative
08-12-2012, 10:14 PM
Actually, it's not cross over that suffers. It's the Y & T steering systems that suffer. And many "high steer" systems are not truly high steer but indeed cross over steering. I just read this a few days ago. B/c I was trying to figure this out and what direction to take.
It's when the drag link connects to the tie rod does this issue exist.
Cross over steering is the direction I"m leaning towards. It just all depends on how the geometry turns out once I've got the new built axle on.

4.3LXJ
08-12-2012, 10:27 PM
I have the Tereflex high steer. Some will argue it is a cross over. But it works. However it needs a full track bar modification to work properly. Tereflex supplies brackets for a TJ/YJ but not and XJ. You can get the stuff at Parts Mike up by Auburn