PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

Superkirby
08-12-2012, 09:34 AM
Ok, I'll try to keep this short but no promises... I bought my 93 Cherokee about a month ago now. It's got about 83k miles on it. I like it. Unfortunately I have found out that at some point it started to rust and someone sprayed a rubberized type undercoating all over the bottom. This covered up a lot of stuff, but as I work on it I've found out that it seems like I'm constantly battling the rust. I've since discovered since working on it and knocking off some the coating, there was a piece glued over a rusted through floor board, the bracket on the axle holding the steering stabilizer is rusted about halfway through, the upper mounts on the rear shocks are about gone, and a few other things I can't think of at the moment.
Originally I had planned to just deal with it, there's an old Lincoln ac-180s arc welder in the garage that needs the cables shortened a few inches then I could teach myself to weld and fix stuff. But I don't know how practical that is. Thought about selling it and finding either a different Cherokee or go back to an Explorer. OR, I could find something cheap with less rust that doesn't run and put my engine/transmission into it.
I have found a guy with 2 XJ's, a 93 and a 95. The 93 runs alright but the transmission is shot. The 95 barely runs and has a few other issues but was bought solely for the transmission. The 93 is in ok shape. It's certainly not pretty but is ok. I would say from the door panel trim up mine is in better shape, but from the trim down his is in better shape. The biggest concern on his is the driver's side floor board between the frame and the door is rusted about half way through the metal. But all suspension components are in good shape and not rusty. The two have to be bought together, but I think I can get them for about $800, then I would have a driving jeep and 2 donors. Do you all think it's worth it?

4x4Dalton
08-12-2012, 09:40 AM
I would say yes it is.Having the one driving Jeep with a good body and underbody would be a huge plus.Then you have the 2 donor Jeeps for parts.You would have 2 good trannys and plus another motor just in case you needed it.Thats just my thoughts.

oderdene
08-12-2012, 09:57 AM
then YOU would have a driving jeep and 2 donors. I think it's worth :D :D :D

4.3LXJ
08-12-2012, 11:05 AM
Yes, nothing like donors for parts.

cantab27
08-12-2012, 01:32 PM
pics of all jeeps .................then we can help with the decision....sounds ok the deal...have ya got space for two don-er jeeps ...part the rest out and regroupe some of ya cash back...

nickxj94
08-12-2012, 02:07 PM
Or build one into a camper http://battlecreek.craigslist.org/pts/3152959049.html

Superkirby
08-12-2012, 03:42 PM
See, that's just cool.
I had actually thought about trying to turn one into a trailer, but it would be more for hauling firewood out of the woods. I didn't know how it would work though. I figured I could either cut at the back door and just use the hatch area, but that would be pretty small. I could try to weld the doors shut but I didn't know how strong that would be.
I'll try to get some pictures up in a little bit.

cpttuna
08-12-2012, 08:04 PM
I concur. Just a couple of thoughts about rust since I went through a situation with my son and his 92. The rust was bad ,but he wanted to keep the jeep. I was not going to put the time or money into the jeep for a 100% fix. I made up a piece of ss for the driver side floor and passenger side floor since you could see pavement if the carpet was lifted. I got them to fit as best as possible and welded them to the main body piece on each side. I siliconed around the edges good and put the carpet back down. He's been driving this way for almost 5 years now. I hope this holds till he decides to get rid ot it. It was a cheap fix, but the ss is not going to rust and there a good place for his feet. It is all a matter of time and $

Superkirby
08-12-2012, 09:33 PM
]Here's some pictures of the 93. I don't have pictures of the 95 as I'm not really that interested in it.

Most of the pictures speak for themselves as for what they are. The last one is the floor between the frame and door. It's probably about 8-10" long, give or take.

In the first picture it looks like it's sagging in the back. It's because there's another set of wheels and almost new tires in the back.

XJ Wheeler
08-13-2012, 01:11 AM
My .02 is get the others and keep your '93 to build into whatever you envision. You'll have another driver so it can go down for some time. Plus you could have one to learn on like welding or anything else you may want to know.

It may just be me but i hate seeing XJ's parted out and scrapped, so i can't advise anyone of that.

XJMJeep
08-13-2012, 01:28 AM
I'm surprised there is even a question, 2 XJ's for $800 is a great deal!
Its always nice to have your own personal salvage yard! :D

xjrev10
08-13-2012, 11:39 AM
I'm surprised there is even a question, 2 XJ's for $800 is a great deal!
Its always nice to have your own personal salvage yard! :D

Haha! I was waiting for a post like this! And im quoting to agree!

As long as you have the room, do it up!

Carves
08-13-2012, 09:46 PM
Having a donor one in the backyard is handy ...

Lets you ...

.. use it as a template for building, floor panels, racks and bars and stuff.

.. hack into it to find out stuff ... before you wreck the DD panel work.

.. and provides a bunch of standy parts to keep you on the road/trail until new bits arrive for a proper fix.

Thats the main reason Ive got one anyways.