PDA

View Full Version : Headlight ground

belvedere
08-11-2012, 11:13 PM
I believe I have a grounding issue with the headlights on my 98 Cherokee Sport (especially the right-hand one). Can anyone tell me where the ground for the headlights is physically located? I found a couple of grounding points on the inside left fender, and cleaned them up, but that is apparently not it. Thanks!

belvedere
08-12-2012, 08:06 AM
OK, I confirmed that the grounds I cleaned were the right ones. Looking at the size of the factory wires, I might just rewire the headlights using relays and new sockets.

Carves
08-12-2012, 08:22 AM
OK, I confirmed that the grounds I cleaned were the right ones. Looking at the size of the factory wires, I might just rewire the headlights using relays and new sockets.

More likely an issue with the power wiring/HL switch ... than the ground near the PCM ... but its worth the time cleaning it anyways .. ;)

Theres a connector under the airfilter box that can have some corrosion issues.

A rewire or a store bought loom upgrade - with relays and heavier cable is a good move. :thumbsup:

belvedere
08-12-2012, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the reply. The left headlight usually looks normal, but the right one can be anywhere from off to bright, usually very dim. I have confirmed that the voltage at the light is changing. Also, with the lights on, the high beam and right turn indicators come on, and the right turn signal will not flash (just comes on solid). These problems go away when the lights are off. I thought it seemed like a bad ground. I'll check the things you mentioned. Thanks again!

Carves
08-12-2012, 08:53 AM
Now that you mention turn signal issues ... as well ...

The ground splice/join for the headlights ... to the ground near the PCM ... is in the loom that runs along the bottom of the grill - about halfway along.

The ground/splice join for the indicators is in a loom close to the LH Headlight.

The joins might have a bit of corrosion ???

From there Im fairly sure it all goes to that connector under the airbox ... and then on to that ground screw ... been a while since I rewired mine ... so someone else might have to confirm thats right.

4.3LXJ
08-12-2012, 11:09 AM
I think from your description that you do have a ground problem. I had one too, so I cut the ground and established it near the headlight for both sides. Helped a lot. Also check that the plug is in good shape. I had an issue with that too.

belvedere
08-12-2012, 01:13 PM
Also check that the plug is in good shape. I had an issue with that too.

Thanks for the reply. Which plug are you talking about?

4.3LXJ
08-12-2012, 02:57 PM
The one that goes on the headlamp. I had one going dim and then off. Replaced the plug and redid the ground like on the other side and cured the whole thing.