PDA

View Full Version : Rear Diff leaking.

ArmyGuy45
08-11-2012, 07:08 AM
Ok so when I was fixing the thread I busted out on the bracket that holds up my caliper I noticed oil coming from my drive shaft leaking out of the rear diff.

I know this pic is a D44 and not a D35C but you get the point.
http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q520/ArmyGuy1911/dana44housing.jpg
So this is where it is leaking from.

So I want to order this kit from Autozone.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Timken-Differential-Bearing-Seal-Kit-Rear/2001-Jeep-Cherokee-4WD/_/N-jffs9Z6o3aj?itemIdentifier=951900_0_0_22597

Would this fix the leak and is there anything else I should replace while I am in there?

4.3LXJ
08-11-2012, 10:30 AM
Matt, before you do that take a little time to wiggle that pinion yoke. If it doesn't wiggle, you don't need the bearings. Just replace the seal, about a fifteen minute job. You will need to check the torque specs on that pinion nut. Most recommend using a new nut too.

ArmyGuy45
08-11-2012, 11:41 AM
Matt, before you do that take a little time to wiggle that pinion yoke. If it doesn't wiggle, you don't need the bearings. Just replace the seal, about a fifteen minute job. You will need to check the torque specs on that pinion nut. Most recommend using a new nut too.

All I got to do is shake the drive shaft and see if it has any play? The reason why I want to buy the kit is that I have to use a shop to work on the Jeep. So I have to pay for lift and tool rental. I would hate to only buy a seal and turns out I need the bearing as well. Thats why I would just like to replace it all instead of paying for a lift and tool rental twice.

cantab27
08-11-2012, 02:24 PM
here matt ....tuck this link away in ya favorites....

http://jeep-xj.info/

its like the jeep bible...

like steve said easy job........check the front one why you are there..

ArmyGuy45
08-31-2012, 07:45 AM
Ok so I went to the Skill shop to do work on both the front and rear diff. I was recommend by the mechanic to NOT replace the Pinion Seal on my rear diff since I did not have the right tools in their shop to do it. I have seen guys replace their seals with just a basic tools on youtube.

Rear Differential Pinion Seal Replacement - YouTube

How To Install Replace Rear Axle Differential Pinion Seal 1AAuto.com - YouTube

I asked the mechanic if we just mark all the settings and count the threads would that be ok. He told me that diff lock is no joke and I shouldnt do it. So today I just did the front diff gear oil change, lube locker seal and replace/reroute the vent tube to the passenger side.

So can I do what these guys did on a D35C rear diff without lock up?

default83
08-31-2012, 08:20 AM
my yoke on my wrangler broke one time, i had to replace all the same stuff, i studied it for a long time and ended up just paying a place to do it, ive heard you can mess some stuff up pretty bad if you over torque it, i think i paid 100 bucks? and i supplied all the parts. worth it in my opinion.

ArmyGuy45
08-31-2012, 08:27 AM
With me being in Germany. I would rather do the work on my own than give it to a shop. But I might take your advice and just pay someone to do it.