PDA

View Full Version : Well crap- Brakes

ArmyGuy45
08-10-2012, 06:24 AM
So I was rushed when doing my front bearing/hub replacement (still my fault for not checking). We had plans and the wife was upset that it took me so long to do the bearings that I rushed putting back on the front right side. I have no idea what the bracket is called that holds up the caliper but I striped out the threads on top bolt hole. Since I dont know the name of it its hard to find replacement part. I could drill it out and re-thread it but I have no experience doing that nor do I have the tools.

NOTE: This is not the pic from my Jeep, I just took it from the internet to show you the part that has the striped out thread.
http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q520/ArmyGuy1911/brakesoff.jpg

So the temp fix I did was thread in small strands of copper wire (to fill the gaps) between the thread on the bolt and snug it up. Its not as tight as I wish it to be but it doesnt fall out.:D

So help me out with part name, website to order from or should I just re-thread it? Cant increase the bolt size since it will not fit in the caliper. Also if I am going to tear down it all down to replace it, should I do the other side? Is there any seals, gaskets or anything else I should replace while I have it torn down?

4.3LXJ
08-10-2012, 06:31 AM
What you need for that, and it is an important thing, is a helicoil kit. It comes with a special tap and a little thing that looks like a spring. The tap is oversize and the spring is inserted in the new oversize threads and becomes the new threads. A common fix.

ArmyGuy45
08-10-2012, 07:06 AM
Which series would I need?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dindustrial&field-keywords=HeliCoil+Thread+Repair+Kits

4.3LXJ
08-10-2012, 09:09 AM
I don't remember the thread count and size. But when you find out, (ask one of your mechanics on base) you get them by size and thread count.

bigjim350
08-10-2012, 11:15 PM
Same thing happend to mine. But on mine that is all one piece. So I ended up just replacing the whole steering knuckle

nickxj94
08-10-2012, 11:19 PM
On my 2000 it happened too I just went and got a longer bolt that would stick out the inside enough to get a nut on it. Its kinda lazy but works I did it in the driveway and didn't have my tap and die set to redo the threads

Jeepster19
08-11-2012, 12:34 AM
It happened to mine too.I just replaced the steering knuckle with one from the old salvage yard I used to work at.

ArmyGuy45
08-11-2012, 06:50 AM
Well its fixed now. I talked to an Army Mechanic we just did a tap dance in the motor pool and all is well now. Though he did point out that where my drive shaft meets the rear diff is leaking. Called it a pinon bearing, said it wasnt to hard to replace. Now on to looking for new parts.

dondale13
12-27-2015, 10:22 AM
On my 2000 it happened too I just went and got a longer bolt that would stick out the inside enough to get a nut on it. Its kinda lazy but works I did it in the driveway and didn't have my tap and die set to redo the threads
Hmm, never thought of that, but yes it would work, THANKS!