PDA

View Full Version : Air intake

dagod16
08-09-2012, 10:44 PM
If I switch my normal air intake box with an open hi volume air intake kit would it make a difference in anything. This is new to me. What benefits do I get from that type of kit switch?
Thanks
Rob

nickxj94
08-09-2012, 10:52 PM
Not much but a bunch of hot air, I took mine off and put my stock box back in runs better IMO

dagod16
08-09-2012, 11:08 PM
So no real benefit?

I always thought that the more air, the cooler it might run or the better it WILL run overall.

The filter inside is always clean, sometimes I wonder if air is running through the filter. I changed it once in 100,000 miles, just doesn't get dirty.

I don't go off road either.

Jeepster19
08-10-2012, 01:08 AM
I spent $314 on a k&n filter fresh air kit,I gained nothing& mileage went down.Sold it for $100 :bang:

Chaseweston
08-10-2012, 01:12 AM
The stock airbox has been designed by a team of researchers and developers to work best with its setup. Replacing it with an open "high volume" kit will actually pull in hotter air from the engine bay thus decreasing performance. As for the "high volume" statements. The ecu will adapt to it and no gains will be achieved. Its much like the throttle body spacer myth with our engines.. Its mostly useless with adaptive ecus. You will however get a "whoosh" sound when you press the gas.. How much are you willing to spend for the "whoosh" ???? :beer:

4.3LXJ
08-10-2012, 06:08 AM
There is a possibility of HP gain at higher RPMs, but who drives nowadays at engine speeds above 4K?. As far as "cold air" goes on the kits, none of them have as good a set up as the stock box, which takes air from the grill area. But, improvements can be made with a properly set up snorkel with the ram air effect on the horn. But they are small. The only way to gain milage is to improve the efficiency of the burn in the cylinders.

dagod16
08-10-2012, 07:08 AM
Well then I'm not going to get one. Wow, I always thought they were a big deal to have a fancy air filter system like that. Amazing.

Mudderoy
08-10-2012, 09:57 AM
I spent $314 on a k&n filter fresh air kit,I gained nothing& mileage went down.Sold it for $100 :bang:

A vendor warned me about this when I was looking at buying a much cheaper unit, like $150 total. I didn't spread the word because it wasn't something that I had tested personally. I can't see spending $300 for an air intake system. My God, it's a tube and a filter.

OrangeXJ
08-10-2012, 12:15 PM
The stock airbox has been designed by a team of researchers and developers to work best with its setup. Replacing it with an open "high volume" kit will actually pull in hotter air from the engine bay thus decreasing performance. As for the "high volume" statements. The ecu will adapt to it and no gains will be achieved. Its much like the throttle body spacer myth with our engines.. Its mostly useless with adaptive ecus. You will however get a "whoosh" sound when you press the gas.. How much are you willing to spend for the "whoosh" ???? :beer:

I don't want to start a big debate But I have both the spacer and air filter mod and have seen a increase in preformance. better gas miliage and throttle response. When I go to the beach before the mods it would be 3/4 tank of gas now it's 1/2 tank after the mods.
Just saying. And about 150 bucks for all

http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m470/GregKnowles/Picture255.jpg

Mudderoy
08-10-2012, 12:52 PM
I don't want to start a big debate But I have both the spacer and air filter mod and have seen a increase in preformance. better gas miliage and throttle response. When I go to the beach before the mods it would be 3/4 tank of gas now it's 1/2 tank after the mods.
Just saying. And about 150 bucks for all

http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m470/GregKnowles/Picture255.jpg

No it's great to have other opinions, especially positive ones, however this is like the seat of the pants dyno compared to actually measuring it on the dyno.

Really need accurate before and after mpg info to understand the gain and if it's worth it financially.

OrangeXJ
08-10-2012, 02:02 PM
I wish I would have done a base line before and after but I did not. On there other hand the 4X4 Exterme show tested this set up and showed a increase in HP (4) and better mpg

xj4life2
08-10-2012, 02:05 PM
There is a possibility of HP gain at higher RPMs, but who drives nowadays at engine speeds above 4K?. As far as "cold air" goes on the kits, none of them have as good a set up as the stock box, which takes air from the grill area. But, improvements can be made with a properly set up snorkel with the ram air effect on the horn. But they are small. The only way to gain milage is to improve the efficiency of the burn in the cylinders.

X2 !!!!!!!

OrangeXJ
08-10-2012, 02:06 PM
what ever

cantab27
08-10-2012, 02:20 PM
what ever

:D:D:D:D:D

ya want more h/p...stickers man ..everyone knows stickers on ya jeep = more h/p................

OrangeXJ
08-10-2012, 02:30 PM
:D:D:D:D

Mudderoy
08-10-2012, 02:50 PM
I wish I would have done a base line before and after but I did not. On there other hand the 4X4 Exterme show tested this set up and showed a increase in HP (4) and better mpg

Every show I remember doing a MPG test with a cold air system did it in combination with "other" upgrades. I've watched these with great interest and I never could say that the tests they performed had any mpg gains due to the aftermarket air systems alone.

Personally I don't think anyone with after market add on advertisers will show that there is not mpg gain in any product.

OrangeXJ
08-10-2012, 03:16 PM
not saying the air filter did any thing don't think it hurt anything the spacer did make a diffrence

dagod16
08-10-2012, 08:28 PM
Well I currently get about 20.6 mpg, and I checked it twice with my own math, not with the digital gauge up top. I have a limited which has outside temp and mpg.

So I wonder if it would make a difference of 4 mpg if I switch to a different air filter set up.

Jeepster19
08-11-2012, 12:23 AM
I wonder if a k&n filter that fits in the stock air box would help?Has anyone tried one yet?I pretty much gave up hope after the $314 mistake on the cold air kit.

nickxj94
08-11-2012, 12:31 AM
I wonder if a k&n filter that fits in the stock air box would help?Has anyone tried one yet?I pretty much gave up hope after the $314 mistake on the cold air kit.

I have one in mine it seems to help a little not really noticeable on fuel mpgs but does have a little more pick up off the line.

Jeepster19
08-11-2012, 12:36 AM
:D:D:D

bigjim350
08-11-2012, 02:07 AM
I am unsure how a TB spacer helps at all on a port fuel injected motor. No matter what it does to the air at the TB its gonna go into the intake ports the same way. Now if anybody is running a carb, Id say helll yeah go for a spacer.

Chaseweston
08-11-2012, 03:05 PM
I am unsure how a TB spacer helps at all on a port fuel injected motor. No matter what it does to the air at the TB its gonna go into the intake ports the same way. Now if anybody is running a carb, Id say helll yeah go for a spacer.

X2 it just makes the air travel a farther distance.

dagod16
08-12-2012, 04:44 AM
I just decided to leave the air intake as stock and not spend the money.

I'll just send the money right to the government, they can spend it better and wiser than I can. I am just a dumb man and can't make good decisions without state subsidized housing, link card, and extra oxygen tank for my scooter chair.

Sorry had to vent. : ))) Better now!

:watermelon:

OrangeXJ
08-13-2012, 12:17 PM
X2 it just makes the air travel a farther distance.

I don't know how or why it works but it does. I go to the beach several times a month to the same place. Before it was 3/4 tank now 1/2 tank. I had a Bronco the last year they made the full size one it was F/I I put a spacer on it and it went from 8mpg to 12. Just saying from experance. Went to the beach last weekend and the same result even sitting in traffic for 1 hour still 1/2 tank. I'm not trying to sell anyone on the spacer/air filter mod just saying I'm happy with it.

Mudderoy
08-13-2012, 01:18 PM
I don't know how or why it works but it does. I go to the beach several times a month to the same place. Before it was 3/4 tank now 1/2 tank. I had a Bronco the last year they made the full size one it was F/I I put a spacer on it and it went from 8mpg to 12. Just saying from experance. Went to the beach last weekend and the same result even sitting in traffic for 1 hour still 1/2 tank. I'm trying to sell anyone on the spacer/air filter mod just saying I'm happy with it.

So does that mean you can now do a round trip on a single tank of gas? That alone would be worth it to me.

OrangeXJ
08-13-2012, 03:57 PM
So does that mean you can now do a round trip on a single tank of gas? That alone would be worth it to me.

1/2 tank round trip

Mudderoy
08-13-2012, 03:58 PM
1/2 tank round trip

Oh wow, I misread it then. I bet fuel is expensive on Galveston island. I'm guessing since I haven't been there in 20 years! ;o)

OrangeXJ
08-13-2012, 03:59 PM
Oh wow, I misread it then. I bet fuel is expensive on Galveston island. I'm guessing since I haven't been there in 20 years! ;o)

Don't need to buy any when I'm there :D and BTW it's 49 miles one way not counting the driveing on the beach we do

bigjim350
08-13-2012, 06:23 PM
Here is my take on people who have had good luck with TB spacers.. It works and im just too dumb to figure it out (likely) OR while installing the spacer something got fixed during the install, that they didnt know was broke. Like maybe the TB had a vac leak from a bad gasket or it got cleaned up before doing the re-install.

cantab27
08-13-2012, 06:44 PM
put one on my old xj..didn't notice any difference...but hard to say as in running stock gears and 33s...its was a green xj so had heaps of h/p anyways....

XJ Wheeler
08-13-2012, 06:51 PM
I don't know how or why it works but it does. I go to the beach several times a month to the same place. Before it was 3/4 tank now 1/2 tank. I had a Bronco the last year they made the full size one it was F/I I put a spacer on it and it went from 8mpg to 12. Just saying from experance. Went to the beach last weekend and the same result even sitting in traffic for 1 hour still 1/2 tank. I'm not trying to sell anyone on the spacer/air filter mod just saying I'm happy with it.

I have the spacer as well. I may not have dyno numbers to prove it but my :ass: dyno told me i have more power in the lower rpms. If it helps anyone my brother agrees, and he is unbiased. I wish i would have done mpg figures but didn't. Maybe one day i'll take it off and get the numbers for comparison.

I don't understand it either but what i come up with is the spiraling action makes it easier for the incoming to make the 90° into the intake and disperse it between the intake runners. Just my theory.