PDA

View Full Version : Broken wheel stud

Marco13013
08-09-2012, 10:22 PM
Hello,

XJ 98 sport. I broke a wheel stud while putting my wheels back on after changing the tie rod ends. The nut is stuck on one of the five studs and the stud is spinning. I suppose I am in for a new wheel hub assembly? But in the meantime the question is: how can I remove the nut from the stud? I will need to do my brakes soon and I can't see how I am going to remove the wheel.
Thank you all for your suggestions.

Marc

nickxj94
08-09-2012, 10:34 PM
Cutting torch, cut off wheel or impact wrench

4.3LXJ
08-09-2012, 10:38 PM
I take it you mean the front bearing assembly. If the stud is spinning, probably will need a new one. There may be a chance it is still good and need a new stud. But you will not know till you cut the old one off. Torch is the best. way

Marco13013
08-09-2012, 11:55 PM
Yes, front bearing assembly. Torch it will be then! Thank you!

bigjim350
08-10-2012, 12:27 AM
If you have steel rims, there should be enough room around the lugnut to put a very strong socket on it with a very good beakover bar. then instead of trying to spin it, position the breakover bar so you can pry up and down on the stud unitl it breaks. will save ya from screwing up the wheel

Marco13013
08-10-2012, 12:46 AM
If you have steel rims, there should be enough room around the lugnut to put a very strong socket on it with a very good beakover bar. then instead of trying to spin it, position the breakover bar so you can pry up and down on the stud unitl it breaks. will save ya from screwing up the wheel

I'm going to be at it this weekend. I may give that a try. I have the factory stock wheels.. I'll post results. Thanks for the suggestions.

4.3LXJ
08-10-2012, 06:18 AM
So once you get it fixed, put some anti seize compound on the the threads. This will prevent that from happening. That is one place I always put it because I have my wheels off frequently.

Marco13013
08-13-2012, 07:46 AM
Got it done yesterday. Was finally able to remove the nut with an impact wrench and putting some pressure on the stud to prevent it from spinning. Then everything else was easy, just removing the rotor, pushing the stud out the back and placing a new one. Used an oversized bolt on the new stud and torqued a nut to press the new stud in.
Thanks all for your help and suggestions.
Marc