PDA

View Full Version : 2001 XJ won't start

ColoradoKid727
08-09-2012, 03:51 PM
I have a 2001 XJ. I just changed out the starter a few days ago and everything was fine until last night when I could not get the jeep to start at all. At first I thought I was getting nothing, but it seems to just make a quick click when I start. The battery is hooked up and fine. I messed with the starter relay fuses and tried to start jeep in neutral, but nothing has worked. It was my first starter replacement and there is a pretty bad oil leak that is mucking everything up. Any chance, oil could have already messed up starter or asking where else I should look to fix. I appreciate any and all possible help. Thanks much.

prcjeep
08-09-2012, 03:56 PM
I have a 2001 XJ. I just changed out the starter a few days ago and everything was fine until last night when I could not get the jeep to start at all. At first I thought I was getting nothing, but it seems to just make a quick click when I start. The battery is hooked up and fine. I messed with the starter relay fuses and tried to start jeep in neutral, but nothing has worked. It was my first starter replacement and there is a pretty bad oil leak that is mucking everything up. Any chance, oil could have already messed up starter or asking where else I should look to fix. I appreciate any and all possible help. Thanks much.

Hmmm... I know lots about starters and having to replace them. Ive gone through like 5 in 2 years. Oil shouldnt foul it up that quickly.

When you turn the ignition, can you hear the gear spinning on the starter? Do your dash/dome lights turn off when it clicks? Do they come right back on? Is you Jeep standard transmission or Auto?

Also, if you get a chance, fill out your vehicle info in your user control panel so that others can see what equipment you have.

ColoradoKid727
08-09-2012, 03:59 PM
Thanks, It is an auto, I hear no gears spinning just a loud click, the dash lights stay on the whole time. I will fill out vehicle info now too so thanks. Cheers.

GreggyXj
08-09-2012, 04:11 PM
try wiggling the connections and have someone turn the key

Mudderoy
08-09-2012, 04:45 PM

Clicking noise is usually a bad battery connection. Did you remove the battery connection from the terminals when you installed the starter? I would think this would be a 100% yes. Clean the battery terminals so they are nice light silver color, then do the same to the inside of the battery cables.

You may need to get a jump start, or charge the battery first.

prcjeep
08-09-2012, 04:56 PM
As mentioned by mudderoy, I also think its a battery draw issue. Bad connection or corrosion build-up. I guess just check all the connections for tightness as well

ColoradoKid727
08-09-2012, 07:21 PM
Thanks much and very for all the help. I cleaned of battery connections and got a jump and my jeep finally started up. I just hope the alternator is not going, but if it is. This forum and I will take care of it. Thanks again for all the help.

ArmyGuy45
08-10-2012, 06:31 AM
Hmmm... I know lots about starters and having to replace them. Ive gone through like 5 in 2 years. Oil shouldnt foul it up that quickly.

This is why I put a rag over the starter before pulling the oil filter.

I just had my cam shaft time sensor go out on my Jeep and its a 01. From what I read online that the cam shaft and the flywheel sensor seem to go out in pairs and its better to must replace them both at the same time.

Chaseweston
08-10-2012, 07:33 AM
Mine did this all the time when I first got it. The ground cable on the battery was loose and allowed it to wiggle. A couple offroad trips it would do the same and I figured beating on the starter would work. When all I had to do was wiggle the ground cable and it'd work. Eventually got around to tightening the clamp down and it hasn't acted up since. :cheers: