PDA

View Full Version : D30 front axle u joint replacement

jeepgldgr
08-09-2012, 10:29 AM
I'm getting ready to replace my U joints on the front of my 88 waggy it has the D 30 and was wondering if both the axles just slide out after disassembling or is there a retaining clip or something that has to be removed somewhere?
also any other tips for this procedure would be most appreciated as this is my first try at this and would hate to forget a bearing or seal replacement that should have could have been done while the axles were out.
Thanks.
Bill

xj4life2
08-09-2012, 10:43 AM
This should help:

Hub Bearing and Axle Shaft

NOTE: If the axle shaft and hub bearing are being removed in order to service another component, the axle shaft and hub bearing can be removed as an assembly.

REMOVAL

Raise and support the vehicle.
Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
Remove the brake caliper and rotor.
Remove ABS wheel speed sensor, if necessary.
Remove the cotter pin, nut retainer, and axle hub nut, if necessary.
Remove the hub to knuckle bolts.
Remove the hub from the steering knuckle and axle shaft, if necessary.
Remove hub bearing and axle shaft assembly, or axle shaft from axle. Avoid damaging the axle shaft oil seals in the axle housing.
Remove the brake rotor shield from the hub bearing or knuckle.
INSTALLATION

Thoroughly clean the axle shaft and apply a thin film of Mopar Wheel Bearing Grease, or equivalent, to the shaft splines, seal contact surface, and hub bore.
Install the brake rotor shield to the knuckle.
Install the hub bearing and axle shaft assembly, or axle shaft, into the housing and differential side gears. Avoid damaging the axle shaft oil seals in the axle housing.
Install the hub bearing, if necessary.
Install the hub to knuckle bolts and tighten to 102 Nm (75 ft. lbs.) torque.
Install the hub washer and nut, if necessary. Tighten the hub nut to 237 Nm (175 ft. lbs.) torque. Install the nut retainer and a new cotter pin.
Install ABS wheel speed sensor, if necessary.
Install the brake rotor and caliper.
Install the wheel and tire assembly.
Remove support and lower the vehicle.

jeepgldgr
08-11-2012, 06:47 PM
Got the driver side off well almost it off I got the brake caliper and rotor off and all five bolts in the back but could not get the axle and hub assembly to pull out even with some heat and a 2.5lbs mallet. My next step is to try to use a puller to pop it free. The passenger side turned out to be the real problem now as the lower caliper bolt wont even budge I heated and have been PB blasting it now for the last two days also the PO must have tried this also as it looks to be slightly rounded off and the 12pt 13mm socket doesn't grab it anymore it's not completely rounded but getting there I'm thinking maybe trying the reverse torx socket on it other wise I'm looking at trying to remove a rounded head bolt and not real happy to have to attempt that or sure exactly how to tackle that just yet.
Thanks for the replies any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

4.3LXJ
08-11-2012, 07:19 PM
To get the unit bearing to break loose, put the nut back on and use a slide hammer. It will come out, but make sure the Jeep is well supported. You don't want to knock it over. The bolt is a problem on the caliper. Sears makes sockets for this purpose, I have a set, that will work on metric and standard bolts that are rounded, but not on left handed thread. They have a set of spiral slots in them.

oderdene
08-11-2012, 07:36 PM
http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/balljoint/balljoint-1.htm

Please see page above, it seems easy to loose hub assembly. Mine has 3 bolts in hub, you said 5 there?

jeepgldgr
08-11-2012, 08:52 PM
Thank's guy's yea got a buddy with that set of spiral remover sockets it is a craftsman set 10mm to 15mm hope that works and sorry bout that 5 bolts thing I ment I removed all 5 bolts the 3 in the hub and the 2 in the caliper.
Where do you hook up the slide hammer at? and do you mean the 36mm bolt to put back on? again thank's.

4.3LXJ
08-11-2012, 09:32 PM
Bill, slide hammers are primarily used for removing axles. They have a flange that is universal and will fit most bolt patterns. So you put the nut back on if you want, just snug, and hook up the flange on the studs with the lug nuts and draw the slider back. The whole thing will come out with a few whacks.

jeepgldgr
08-11-2012, 09:51 PM
Oh ok I got you much thank's for your help

jeepgldgr
08-13-2012, 09:35 PM
Update on the repair I did get the passenger side off today the 13mm spiral craftsman bolt remover did the trick with the combined PB blasting and heat man I was happy. The hub assembly slipped right off and the axle slide out without any issue. The U joint replacement was a bit more trouble than expected my arbor press didn't want to push out the old joint caps but was able to tap them out with a hammer and socket and when removed found only rusty dust no needle bearings it's no wonder they were grinding so bad. I didn't notice any oil leakage from the axle housing during the removal and install but wonder if some did leak out after I pulled out the axle. What I'm getting at is I was extremely careful to not damage the seal during removal and installation greased the splines and all but did notice a little drippage after I got to work today not a whole lot mind you but some none the less. Was hoping maybe it's just some that may have leaked into the tube and not a damaged seal any thoughts on this?

4.3LXJ
08-13-2012, 09:36 PM
You shouldn't really get any. Just check the level and top of if needed and call it good

bluedragon436
08-14-2012, 08:03 AM
I'll be doing this maintenance on my XJ, in a few months when I return back stateside from this deployment... I am hoping I won't have too many issues on it... but will def use this writeup as well as a few others online to hopefully make it a successful job...

XJ Rat
08-15-2012, 06:22 AM
When you remove the unit bearing, here is a trick http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/unitbearing/unitbearing-1.htm . Yes it is a TJ, but the axle is a dana 30. Trick will work on your XJ.

Here are lots of other axle write-ups http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle.asp .