PDA

View Full Version : Engine sputtering through water crossing

Chaseweston
08-09-2012, 10:26 AM
When I go through a decent water crossing about halfway up my grill, wake just over my hood for a second my engine starts to sputter and wants to die as I'm climbing out of the water. It did it twice yesterday and once I saved it from dying by giving it bursts of gas in neutral. also my exhaust is just a cherry bomb extreme with a tip on it right after my cat.

Is it the low mount alternator getting too wet??

Is it my Exhaust being short like that?

I know it's not my air box because that's routes up the back of the box towards my windshield. And it's all dry inside.

I'm scared to go through some deep stuff as it may die in the middle then we has problems.

nickxj94
08-09-2012, 11:13 AM
Distributor possibly getting wet? Have you siliconed the cap on and run a vacuum hose from the breather on the cap? Could be fuel return lines underneath may be rusted or have some pin holes sucking water in

Sent from my SCH-M828C using Tapatalk 2

Chaseweston
08-09-2012, 11:26 AM
Distributor possibly getting wet? Have you siliconed the cap on and run a vacuum hose from the breather on the cap? Could be fuel return lines underneath may be rusted or have some pin holes sucking water in

I have not. I will do that to the distributor today. And check my fuel lines. Thank you. Just found out my tranny won't shift from 1st right now so probably won't be driving her until that's fixed. But that's gonna be another thread.

nickxj94
08-09-2012, 11:32 AM
I have not. I will do that to the distributor today. And check my fuel lines. Thank you. Just found out my tranny won't shift from 1st right now so probably won't be driving her until that's fixed. But that's gonna be another thread.

Have water in it? If your going through water over the hood its a good possibility you got water in trans and diffs better check everything

Chaseweston
08-09-2012, 11:37 AM
True. Alright. Time for some maintenance. Thanks.

4.3LXJ
08-09-2012, 07:12 PM
True. Alright. Time for some maintenance. Thanks.

I would also suggest a few upgrades if you are going swimming again. First of all, like Wayne said, get a snorkel. If you have water coming over the hood, then at some point you will find an unexpected deep spot and hydrolock your engine. Then after that, you need to find the vent on the top of your tranny, and the one on your tcase and run a hose to the snorkel air. If you had something like that, you would not be having tranny problems now. And check the tcase fluid too. You will probably find water in it too. Then your diffs both have vents on them. The hose goes up into the frame. Reroute them to the same place or same tube that goes to the snorkel. Seal everything up good on the snorkel and air intake. Lastly, take a surgeons glove and put it on your distributor and run the wires out the fingers. Then if after all that you get water in the distributor, which is possible from condensation from the cold water hitting it and cooling the cap, carry a can of WD40 and use it to wash the inside of the cap out. You can replace it wet with out drying it.

cantab27
08-09-2012, 09:35 PM
will be surprised how much gets in the diffs...

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr52/cantab27/jeepin%20and%20bits/rebuild006.jpg

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr52/cantab27/jeepin%20and%20bits/rebuild005.jpg

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr52/cantab27/jeepin%20and%20bits/rebuild004.jpg

all this in less than ten minutes in a deepish puddle.... :rolleye0012:

have a snorkel and engine was fine..would have been toast without it....:D

nickxj94
08-09-2012, 09:52 PM
That's what my front diff looked like a few months ago lol

Chaseweston
08-09-2012, 10:32 PM
Damn alright well I will be sure to
Make sure my breathers are extended and wont play in water like that again without a snorkel. You think a good fluid replacement on everything and clean the distributor with wd40 it should be better? It's my daily for when it's raining. I don't like to ride my street bike in the rain

cantab27
08-09-2012, 10:38 PM
yeah mate drain the oil..have a good clean in there...have you had the dizzy off

Chaseweston
08-09-2012, 10:42 PM
yeah mate drain the oil..have a good clean in there...have you had the dizzy off

The dizzy??

cantab27
08-09-2012, 10:53 PM
The dizzy??

sorry mate kiwi talk there...the distributor cap.....see if moisture in there or cracks...grease all joints ya can ..will be surprised what comes outta them as well..also carry a can of wd 40 when playing.......

Chaseweston
08-09-2012, 11:08 PM
sorry mate kiwi talk there...the distributor cap.....see if moisture in there or cracks...grease all joints ya can ..will be surprised what comes outta them as well..also carry a can of wd 40 when playing.......

Ya I've never wrenched on cars with distributors so it's all new how that works. Pretty simple, just learning to keep water out haha. I've been researching the symptoms of wet distributor cap and sounds like that's what's happening. Sever misfire from that. Tomorrow morning when I get off work at 7am I will pop the hood and spray the distributor with wd40.

How do I take the cap off?
It may be simple just looking at it but I'm behind a desk right now. Couldn't hurt to know ahead of time.

cj4a nz
08-10-2012, 03:10 AM
sorry dude but agree with wayne if you play in water to that depth with out precautions,a snorkle minium look out
I spent 15 mins or so last years last years with water over the driver side mud guard and had water in my engine thru the dissy cap have changed the oil twice and it still water in the oil
my rule of thumb if over axle depth check/change all diff /trans oils

enjoy exploring your jeep

Carves
08-10-2012, 04:04 AM
Sounds like a wet dissy ...

illiterate kiwis .. pffttt .... dont know their s from z ... :D

Dissy cap should just be held on by two scews ... be gentle when retightening.

Also give the plug leads a spray at both ends.

X 2 on all the suggestions about oil changes, better venting and a higher air intake if you're going to regularly play in big puddles.

cantab27
08-10-2012, 04:09 AM

X 2 on all the suggestions about oil changes, better venting and a higher air intake if you're going to regularly play in big puddles.

now what would you Aussies know about water problems....now if it was a dust problem post away.............:ass:.........:p:p;)

Mudderoy
08-10-2012, 10:29 AM

rofl

Brasscatz
08-10-2012, 07:40 PM
This is all great stuff! I've never gone through deep water in my Jeep and I didn't know about any of this stuff aside from your typical snorkel! Thanks guys!