PDA

View Full Version : ARB Air Locker - RD93 - Chrysler 8.25

Mudderoy
08-09-2012, 09:31 AM

Now that I have my ARB RD93 locker I have to start considering getting it installed.

One of the things that has crossed my mind is a diff cover. It's currently stock. I replaced the diff cover on the D30 because well it's on the front and most likely to hit something. Even on the paved streets it doesn't hurt to have that additional protection.

I've also heard that the Dana 30 pumpkin can deform under stress. I think this is really move of a high torque situation, probably on rocks and probably locked. I've heard the pumpkin can deform and contact between the ring and pinion can change leading to damage of one or both.

I know the C8.25 is much bigger and stronger, but should I have any concerns about a stock diff cover on the C8.25 with it being locked? I know I might want to put a truss on the axle, or at least weld the tubes to keep the pumpkin from rotation on the tubes.

What about clearance issues? Stock diff cover fit with the ARB locker? I only ask because ARB makes those pretty "red" diff covers. :rotfl2:

I may be overly concerned about this since I'm not planning on any rocks, still I'd hate to break down somewhere simply because I just assumed it would never happen to me.

4.3LXJ
08-09-2012, 09:46 AM
You would be OK without the diff cover. The thing is, it is high torque situations you would be concerned with, and one other thing, larger tires than you have. Personally, I think you would loose an axle first. The C clip would let go. But, on the other hand those diff covers do look cool.

OrangeXJ
08-09-2012, 09:51 AM

Now that I have my ARB RD93 locker I have to start considering getting it installed.

One of the things that has crossed my mind is a diff cover. It's currently stock. I replaced the diff cover on the D30 because well it's on the front and most likely to hit something. Even on the paved streets it doesn't hurt to have that additional protection.

I've also heard that the Dana 30 pumpkin can deform under stress. I think this is really move of a high torque situation, probably on rocks and probably locked. I've heard the pumpkin can deform and contact between the ring and pinion can change leading to damage of one or both.

I know the C8.25 is much bigger and stronger, but should I have any concerns about a stock diff cover on the C8.25 with it being locked? I know I might want to put a truss on the axle, or at least weld the tubes to keep the pumpkin from rotation on the tubes.

What about clearance issues? Stock diff cover fit with the ARB locker? I only ask because ARB makes those pretty "red" diff covers. :rotfl2:

I may be overly concerned about this since I'm not planning on any rocks, still I'd hate to break down somewhere simply because I just assumed it would never happen to me.

I've been wheelin since 1976 in all kinds of terrain and diffrent vehicles and have never messed up a diff cover. Unless you are planning on doing some crazy stuff in rocks I would not spend the money. I have aftermarket covers on the TJ and XJ they came with them when we bought them but if they had stock ones I would not have replaced them. and both are locked f/r

LizardRunner
08-09-2012, 12:42 PM
Go ahead Tony, get the ARB diff cover, you will be much happier, not that it's a need.

Mudderoy
08-09-2012, 12:52 PM
Go ahead Tony, get the ARB diff cover, you will be much happier, not that it's a need.

Actually I'd rather not call attention to a high dollar locker inside the pumpkin. If I was going to put an aftermarket diff cover on there it would be the RuffStuff cover like the one I have on the front. :cool:

zr2toxj
08-18-2012, 12:30 PM
It's pretty amazing how much difference a good cover makes with axle flex. And yes, it can cause a lot of broken parts.

I really wanted to get the ARB covers, but I couldn't justify that much money. I bought Solid covers F&R with lubelocker gaskets and couldn't be happier. It's made a huge difference in housing flex.

$60 each versus $170 each settled it for me.

Mudderoy
08-18-2012, 03:31 PM
It's pretty amazing how much difference a good cover makes with axle flex. And yes, it can cause a lot of broken parts.

I really wanted to get the ARB covers, but I couldn't justify that much money. I bought Solid covers F&R with lubelocker gaskets and couldn't be happier. It's made a huge difference in housing flex.

Yeah I was shocked to see the ARB cover was over $200. It's pretty and all but at $135(?) I'd rather have the RoughStuff cover. The D30 cover I have is all BEEF.

bluedragon436
08-18-2012, 04:23 PM
I've been looking at the RuffStuff covers as well as one other company, Under Cover Fabworks (http://www.undercoverfab.com/15-complete-covers)... they are both beefy covers, and at great prices... I like the ARB covers, but have always thought they were hugely overpriced...

cantab27
08-18-2012, 04:32 PM
everything arb is over priced.........................................

bluedragon436
08-18-2012, 04:50 PM
I agree on that Wayne... I love their lockers... but not the prices..

nickxj94
08-18-2012, 05:13 PM
I like the solid covers that's my next upgrade for both axles

XJ Wheeler
08-18-2012, 09:48 PM
Nobody's said it yet, but I've always the Ridler covers. Even back when they were Crane.

Mudderoy
09-16-2013, 12:25 PM
Wow I can't believe I've had this locker for over a year and haven't installed it yet!

It should be installed in the next couple of months.

In anticipation of this I have ordered a nice diff cover from....

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/images/logo.gif

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/graphics/00000001/825%20cover.jpg

:link: (http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/825COV.html)

bad luck
09-16-2013, 04:31 PM

I am just wondering how can you tell if the diff cover reduces axle flex? I am not trying to be an asshole, but can you educate me on this. I also bought the Solid covers front and rear, they seem to be good quality at a really good price. The only thing is the high fill point, when I had my detroit locker installed in the rear axle, the mechanic filled it to the bottom of the plug, which is way too much gear oil.

4.3LXJ
09-16-2013, 04:37 PM
Just to venture another opinion here, I think that the chief benefit in the area of flex is not allowing the housing to spread under extreme torque. This would keep the gears from running on their edges in very high torque situations

jschmidt250
09-16-2013, 05:07 PM
You wont be disappointed with Ruffstuff.

Mudderoy
09-16-2013, 06:51 PM
I am just wondering how can you tell if the diff cover reduces axle flex? I am not trying to be an asshole, but can you educate me on this. I also bought the Solid covers front and rear, they seem to be good quality at a really good price. The only thing is the high fill point, when I had my detroit locker installed in the rear axle, the mechanic filled it to the bottom of the plug, which is way too much gear oil.

Well I'm no expert, but what I read was the Dana 30 really benefits from a nice solid cover because it will reduce deformation and ring and pinion separation. I have not read that about the Chrysler 8.25. I really liked their Dana 30 cover so I decided a while back I was going to get one from the same place for the C8.25. I think the only real purpose it serves is if I back into something with it, or come down on the cover at just the right place and angle.

I mean I'm sure it will help with any deformation of the pumpkin as well but I think the C8.25 is much stronger than the D30.

:patriot:

Mudderoy
09-16-2013, 06:52 PM
You wont be disappointed with Ruffstuff.

Yeah the Dana 30 cover I have on there now is just amazing and 100% beef!

I knew I had to have one for the rear diff after seeing the D30 cover.

zr2toxj
09-17-2013, 05:13 AM

Well in my particular case I have ARB's and was having problems with the front leaking. It still worked but leaked internally. When I installed the Solid cover it helped a lot. It still did it but it took more flexing for it to start leaking. I was surprised at the difference. Upon taking it apart we discovered that the seal housing had a groove worn into it that looked like a half circle. We determined it was from axle flex. I have since added a truss which eliminated the problem, but the cover helped a lot.

bad luck
09-17-2013, 08:21 AM
Thanks for the answer, yes that makes sense.

Mudderoy
09-17-2013, 08:32 AM
Well in my particular case I have ARB's and was having problems with the front leaking. It still worked but leaked internally. When I installed the Solid cover it helped a lot. It still did it but it took more flexing for it to start leaking. I was surprised at the difference. Upon taking it apart we discovered that the seal housing had a groove worn into it that looked like a half circle. We determined it was from axle flex. I have since added a truss which eliminated the problem, but the cover helped a lot.

I've been thinking of a truss as well, but I've had it off road 3 or 4 times. I remember the good old days when I was young and didn't think about the ramifications of breaking something, just did it! :spongebob:

Mudderoy
09-18-2013, 07:00 PM
This Chrysler 8.25 diff cover from http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/ is amazing! I knew after receiving the Dana 30 diff cover I was going to have to have one for the rear as well.

:link: (http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/825COV.html)