PDA

View Full Version : Transfer Case Info on Rebuild

Gymguyjeep
08-08-2012, 08:51 AM
After a week of wheelin' in Colorado in my stock 93 XJ I suspect that my transfer case chain is slipping. The clunking noise while pulling uphill on rough trails while in 4 low is what I think indicates what I suspect is the problem. I am trying to decide whether to buy a used/remanufactured case or try to do the job myself.

If I am looking for a used case, would any NP231 from the years 88-93 work for my XJ? Does it need to be only a transfer case from a cherokee or would a TC from a YJ also work?

If I am looking to remove the transfer case and open it up and put new parts inside, does anyone know where I can find good step by step instructions with lots of pictures?

4.3LXJ
08-08-2012, 09:52 AM
You cannot use the tcase from a YJ. They are clocked higher and would be in the floor board and seat mount area. If you do replace your chain, replace the sprockets too or the chain will wear out quickly. They are not overly complicated and if you are in the market for a slip yoke eliminator, that is the time to do it since you will remove those parts anyway.

LizardRunner
08-09-2012, 02:25 PM
here's a pretty good How to http://www.moabjeeper.com/articles/technical/listing.cfm?articleID=395

Gymguyjeep
08-10-2012, 08:47 AM
here's a pretty good How to http://www.moabjeeper.com/articles/technical/listing.cfm?articleID=395

Lizard Runner -
This is just the sort of write-up I had been searching for. Have you done a rebuild on a NP231? If so, were there any hang-ups that caused you more difficulty than you expected?

4.3LXJ
08-10-2012, 09:17 AM
I have been in mine. Make sure you have RTV silicone, no gaskets in it, snap ring pliers and make sure you get the oil pump back together and don't loose that little spring in the rear of the case. Not a hard build. If you replace the chain, replace the sprockets too or else it will stretch the new chain.

dagr8tim
08-18-2012, 07:34 AM
If you're ordering new parts, look into parts for a NP231C. It's the same TC with stronger internals.