PDA

View Full Version : Quick question!!! - Can I drive without the O2 sensor?

XJScarlet
08-07-2012, 03:44 PM
94 XJ, can I drive without the O2 sensor? I drank too much whiskey and the wires melted from the heat of the exhaust. :o I am awesome like that.

XJScarlet
08-07-2012, 03:52 PM
It's a long story. Yes or no? I already have an exhaust leak, so I wonder if it really matters. Not for long term, but for the short term. I don't want to fork out the dough for a new sensor if its just going to get clogged anyways.

bigjim350
08-07-2012, 03:54 PM
Which sensor? The one towards the front or the one in/after the cat?

Sent from my nerdy smartphone

oderdene
08-07-2012, 05:48 PM
yes, you can drive without it, maybe CEL ON on dash and she will drink more gas :D

bigbuk29
08-08-2012, 06:16 PM
drive it like od says, cel, and more gas used

Brasscatz
08-08-2012, 06:33 PM
Depending on how much of the wires were melted, you can cut and splice just the wires alone. Add a little extra wire so you can zip-tie the wire farther away from your exhaust. Mine had melted through like that and instead of buying a new O2 sensor for $80+ I spent 4 bucks on a big spool of wire and it works perfectly.

prcjeep
08-09-2012, 10:19 AM
Also, If it's the o2 sensor is the one after the pussy, make sure that when you replace that you re-secure the wires as they can get cought on the drive shaft, yank out, and then short against each other or something else. Then you'll blow the fuse and have a no start situation unless you have the 30amp mini fuse. Just ask me how I know this. Plus the o2 sensor will be trash

UpstateXJ
08-17-2012, 12:53 AM
Yup, I only have the upstream sensor on mine currently and it is running ok. I am going to get a new sensor and put it back in the exhaust like it is supposed to be. Not a fan of wires dangling without a purpose.

XJScarlet
10-02-2012, 12:21 PM
Thanks! I did have some fuses blow, as well as a couple relays go bad. :mad:

I was stranded in a small town in the middle of nowhere. I excel at getting myself into interesting situations. Also, people who don't stop to help a girl stranded in the middle of a no cell service area suck. To the guys from another state that did stop to help me after dark, I am really glad they were helpful and not creepy. So helpful, they followed me to the nearest town (39 miles away) were I was stranded.

Mudderoy
10-02-2012, 12:46 PM

I was stranded in a small town in the middle of nowhere. I excel at getting myself into interesting situations. Also, people who don't stop to help a girl stranded in the middle of a no cell service area suck. To the guys from another state that did stop to help me after dark, I am really glad they were helpful and not creepy. So helpful, they followed me to the nearest town (39 miles away) were I was stranded.

Having a wife and two daughters, this whole thing sounds scary.

XJ Wheeler
10-02-2012, 01:07 PM

These days you don't want some to stop.

XJScarlet
10-02-2012, 01:56 PM
Yeah, it was scary. It's the last time I take a short cut in a no cell service area by myself. True, I probably wouldn't want all of them to stop. I generally stop to help people, unless I am alone.

Lesson learned.