PDA

View Full Version : THOR vs Spectre cowl induction

ArmyGuy45
08-07-2012, 02:06 PM
Which would you say is better? Do they both use wet filter? If so, then where would I find dry filters that would fit?

http://shop.trailheadoffroad.ihostnetworks.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=XJCI91-01 THOR

http://shop.trailheadoffroad.ihostnetworks.com/images/products/XJCI91-01_AutoGenImg_Medium.jpg

http://www.quadratec.com/products/17006_7101_07.htm Spectre

http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Images/154038/154038-md.jpg

4.3LXJ
08-07-2012, 03:59 PM
Got some links for us on that

ArmyGuy45
08-08-2012, 01:02 AM
Updated with links. Sorry.

4.3LXJ
08-08-2012, 09:57 AM
I don't know much about either. But I like the Spectre design better.

ArmyGuy45
08-08-2012, 10:09 AM
I don't know much about either. But I like the Spectre design better.

Could explain why you like it more? I think the THOR would give you better performance but increased chance of sucking up water.

4.3LXJ
08-08-2012, 10:11 AM
It is a matter of taking up all the space in the cowl. Remember your HVAC needs to breathe there too, as it was designed to do. A lot of the force your fan provides is added by the pressure of the air in that cowl. So if there is not something in the way, I think it would be better. Also, not having the filter there where the snow and rain can make it wet, and use the cowl drain for water would be better IMO

ArmyGuy45
08-08-2012, 10:23 AM
It is a matter of taking up all the space in the cowl. Remember your HVAC needs to breathe there too, as it was designed to do. A lot of the force your fan provides is added by the pressure of the air in that cowl. So if there is not something in the way, I think it would be better. Also, not having the filter there where the snow and rain can make it wet, and use the cowl drain for water would be better IMO

Good point! Thx

Now a dry filter for it? Why is oiled a bad filter?

4.3LXJ
08-08-2012, 12:41 PM
Dry filters are better. Too much oil can foul a map sensor. Also, a dry filter can have the dust shaken out and blown out (with that OBA you want) and reused easier.

gary63
08-08-2012, 04:41 PM
I agree will 4.3lxj the dry ones are easer to clean on the trail and the oil one will catch more smaller and finer dust butthey need cleaning more offton and they will leve oil on the inside of your intake air tube.yes there is a hose from the valvecover to the air intake and oil will sometime make it's way there but as much as what will come from the oil airfilter.

Sneedle Vision
08-08-2012, 05:50 PM
That Spectre design is pretty sweet.

ArmyGuy45
08-09-2012, 12:38 AM
Dry filters are better. Too much oil can foul a map sensor. Also, a dry filter can have the dust shaken out and blown out (with that OBA you want) and reused easier.

What site do you recommend to get a replace dry filter for the Spectre.

4.3LXJ
08-09-2012, 09:37 AM
I don't know that you can. I think they have the only filter that will fit it. Don't get me wrong, I think it is a good product. I just prefer a dry filter. I finally washed mine. Threw it in the washing machine. Don't tell the wife.:smiley-gen165:

prcjeep
08-09-2012, 09:40 AM
I've been craving one of the spectre intakes for a while. Just unforunately so many things are on the list before it :(

ArmyGuy45
08-09-2012, 11:50 AM
I don't know that you can. I think they have the only filter that will fit it. Don't get me wrong, I think it is a good product. I just prefer a dry filter. I finally washed mine. Threw it in the washing machine. Don't tell the wife.:smiley-gen165:

Ok thanks for the advice. I plan to do this after my deployment.:D

LizardRunner
08-15-2012, 01:53 PM
you can use most "wet" filters as dry filters, example the K&N is a dry paper element with a "sock" that goes over it and that is the part you oil. just replace the oiling sock with one of their cloth diapers instead and go dry.

honesT
08-06-2014, 08:28 PM
Why do they run them over the hot engine and proceed to call them cold air intakes ?

if only a 3 inch hole is needed that should be enough to go around the brake master cylinder so what gives ?

I`ve read others say there DIY on the drivers side works like a charm and the water does no go in as the tray is lower then where the cowl air intake hose is so no problems !!!!!

Always some hole trying to steer people off course :/

And the more money those holes have the more people they can reach...

Carves
08-06-2014, 09:20 PM
Why do they run them over the hot engine and proceed to call them cold air intakes ?...................

Coz the new intake position is, generally, in a "colder" location ... compared to the hole in the factory airbox, sucking in the hot air ... from behind the radiator .. ;);)

Decyphering, aftermarket, auto accessory, sales spiel ... is always fun .. :D

If water depths are not an issue ... the simplest "cold air intake" is to utilise the, factory supplied, air intake hole behind the headlight ... and fit some square tube from it, to the factory airbox.

Rocco83
08-06-2014, 09:30 PM
Tonight seems to be the night where a bunch of old threads get dredged up haha

gary63
08-07-2014, 10:27 AM
not all run across the engine some do go strait back to the fire wall. I have a 2000 with abs there is no room there so I ran mine over the engine and in to the passinger's side of the cowl. and yes it pick up some heat so I put a heat reflecter on it. Now I'm working on running it out the side of the finder and up the windshield post just like the snorkles they do pull more cooler air in it is higher off the black top.

NW99XJ
08-07-2014, 10:59 AM
"SCIENTIFICALLY SPEAKING" .....
The difference in the mass of the air coming from the passenger side vs. the drivers side of the cowell is not going to be enough of a difference to notice any loss or gain of performance. Is there a measurable difference in air temperature? yes... is it going to make a measurable difference in our XJ's 4.0L? ...on the dyno MAYBE ...we're talking about a 1-3 HP gain... maybe a 1/3 MPG gain? .... these are numbers that TECHNICALLY could be considered measurable, but not noticeable.
That being said, EITHER one of these kits are an improvement over the stock set-up, mainly for flow... I WILL NEVER buy another Spectre product ever again, and I HIGHLY encourage anyone reading this to do the same.
I think the number one gain (IMHO) is the open space you get by deleting the factory air box.... this opens up room for a second battery! :D

honesT
08-07-2014, 03:01 PM
I bought a couple aluminum oven protector trays from the dollar store and shielded my intake box and intake manifold from the exhaust manifold and down pipe heat. It`s stupid cheap and the aluminum won`t hold the heat like thicker steel...

I`m also going to use it to make a square tube to join the air box to the headlight hole to insure I get the coolest air.

Considering the cowl intake on the drivers side as for my 97 with out the abs it should be not so hard, I have a dremel 3000 so that should help.

I would rather just leave it with the headlight intake, as it would keep me from doing deeper water crossing where things can get hairy real fast...

Rocco83
08-07-2014, 03:02 PM
In all honesty, for what they are would it really be that hard to fab one of these up in a half hour rather than spend $150+ like NW99XJ said, I think the biggest bonus would be the spare room to add in another battery.

Pookapotamus
08-07-2014, 05:53 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/08/zu3u9a4a.jpg

$20 in PVC, $50 for a good filter, $10 for a dry bag, $20 for rubber adapters. Lots of air flow, not nearly as noisy as a specter, and high enough to not have to worry about water

ArmyGuy45
08-07-2014, 06:01 PM

$20 in PVC, $50 for a good filter, $10 for a dry bag, $20 for rubber adapters. Lots of air flow, not nearly as noisy as a specter, and high enough to not have to worry about water

The only thing I would be worried about this set up is at low speeds. All that hot air is going to run through your intake filter to go our your vents when you are wheeling at low speeds or sitting at idle.

Rocco83
08-07-2014, 10:38 PM
I'm more worried about how clean that Jeep is!! I agree though with that placement it seems like it would be pulling in a lot of hot air when not moving at speed.

Pookapotamus
08-08-2014, 08:48 AM
It's not a big deal heat wise, the 4.0l runs hot anyway, and I have tons of venting in the hood to shed heat

PumpinIron
08-22-2014, 10:19 AM
Are these cowl intakes loud, say when you're just cruising down the highway?

honesT
08-23-2014, 01:50 AM
Bought one of these for stupid cheap, If your into mickey moussing ur stuff then a cold air intake is knot to far off from your imagination with this to give you the proper corner stone... Also great for a cowl kit f you have the imagination to make it happen...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331283832175?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT#vi-ilComp

Cheers

honesT
08-28-2014, 11:14 AM
I used cheap dollar store aluminum oven trays, get the largest ones along with some silver duct tape.

Simple heat shield or if you wanted to rig so it`s enclosed and gets cold air only...

The reasoning behind the cold air intake is the gasoline ignites better in the combustion chamber when mixed with cold air, hot air only makes it less explosive...

That's my understanding...

downsy
08-28-2014, 05:39 PM
I used cheap dollar store aluminum oven trays, get the largest ones along with some silver duct tape.

Simple heat shield or if you wanted to rig so it`s enclosed and gets cold air only...

The reasoning behind the cold air intake is the gasoline ignites better in the combustion chamber when mixed with cold air, hot air only makes it less explosive...

That's my understanding...

Hot air is less dense than cold air. The hotter the air the less molecules of air you can fit in the combustion chamber so the less fuel you can use and the less power your make.

The denser (colder) the air is the more air you can squeeze in there and the more fuel you can add so you make more power :beer:

honesT
08-30-2014, 01:44 PM

You should just run it straight up right from the throttle body out of the hood with a mushroom air filter you see on some of the army rigs.

Or one of the sideways facing hood cowls http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/j8-inspired-hood-scoop-108894/

I have seen others do this you just need a snug fit in the rubber joints when you close the hood.

Cheers

Pookapotamus
08-30-2014, 09:08 PM
I thought about running it out the hood, but decided to keep it protected under the hood

bruggz351
08-31-2014, 03:58 AM
Lerve the yellow...:woot:

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m596/bruggz351/my%20stuff/Jasons017.jpg

... one of my projects, when I was a young'n.

ArmyGuy45
08-31-2014, 03:09 PM
I ordered mine, should be here in a few days!!!

honesT
09-01-2014, 01:48 PM
I`ve had this in my rig for a while now and no complaints, hooked up no problems. http://www.ebay.com/itm/97-04-Jeep-Cherokee-4-0-I6-RAM-AIR-INTAKE-Kit-BLUE-Filter-/221156745069?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AJeep%7CModel%3ACherokee&hash=item337df81f6d&vxp=mtr

You might want to rig up some kind of support bracket for the cone filter it comes with 2 but they are aluminum so your limited on the reach when using for horizontal usage. If not supported it might pull off the throttle body, might, maybe not... The clamps are kinda cheap but do the job and prevent you from over tightening and damaging the silicone rubber around the throttle body, those are pricy at the auto parts store anywhere from $30 to $50 maybe more...

So best to rig up a support bracket for the cone filter. Glade I took the time to write this now I feel motivated to get it done proper, looks like I`m off to the hardware store to get some lots to chose from when DIY is an option http://www.homedepot.com/b/Tools-Hardware-Hardware-Metal-Sheets-Rods/N-5yc1vZc2b9?Nao=48

Sounds like I have a stroker under the hood !

Only thing I`m not cozy with is the cone filter, looking for a fram or some kind of stock cone air filter that will attach the same way and, not let in the small dirt particles when on dirt roads, trails or driving past construction sites, farmed fields...

If you do some research on the many types of filters you can spend hours and even more reading threw the debates, or just think about it high flow means larger holes letting in dirt particles lessening the life of your engines compression. If you don`t rebuild your engine after every trail ride then don`t treat it like you do and take the extra caution and play it smart, you don`t need that extra little for what we do we get no pay cheque for racing.

The oiled filters will gum up your sensors and give you nothing but headaches, the stock fram filters let in plenty of air and have been tested for CFM ( Cubic Feet per Minute ) of air flow on dynos with stock engines and do the job. WOT or wide open throttle they may be lacking but if your not racing mud flats who cares :crazy:

Cheers

honesT
09-01-2014, 02:06 PM
Deleted

honesT
09-01-2014, 02:56 PM
Just had some insight while Googling in the images section for filters, I could always just use a dollar store vacuum paper bag cut open at one end and zip tied at the other end over the filter ?

At least until I can track down a proper paper filter.

Looks like the foam filters need to be oiled, and nothing beats the paper for the finer filtration when it comes to none oiled filters...

Those dry socks don`t help much, good enough for racer`s who rebuild after every race though... But for long term :crazy:

Carves
09-01-2014, 06:01 PM
Lerve the yellow...:woot:

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m596/bruggz351/my%20stuff/Jasons017.jpg

... one of my projects, when I was a young'n.

Seems that one, yellow, 4.0l, station wagon,

... looks much the same as another ... to you Bruggzy .. :p .. :D

dansmurf
09-18-2014, 09:52 PM
Are these cowl intakes loud, say when you're just cruising down the highway?

Loud at startup, not too bad at a cruise, loud when it downshifts. With 33's and stock gears my 91 downshifts allot. I do like the fact it cleans up the engine bay, takes air from a cooler source, and acts like a snorkel.

bruggz351
09-19-2014, 12:35 AM
Seems that one, yellow, 4.0l, station wagon,

... looks much the same as another ... to you Bruggzy .. :p .. :D

Thanks Carves, but, this beauty, was half way through engineering for 351W goodness, when the dreaded "little head" took over.

Was sold off for a Honeymoon....:cry: