PDA

View Full Version : Replaced blown head gaskit and still have prob.

JEEPSTER4EVER
08-01-2012, 03:10 PM
I bought a 2000 XJ freedom, the 5th day of owning it, the ring n pinion went out out, then a month later the engine over heated and the head gaskit went out on it. I just replaced the blown headgaskit, I replaced the starter since it was bad too. (which by the way I took out the 6 month old starter from my 89 xj and it bolted up to my 2000 just fine) the parts stores part # don't match, don't let that fool you, $140.00 for a cheap one for the 2000, and $50.00 or so for the 89 xj the only 2 really defference in them is the 89 is a 1/4 in longer and the 2000 has a lil quick disconnect on the ignition wire. save your self some money and buy the 89 . Anyways I just started up the 2000 yesterday, it started up within the 5 sec point. It sounded good, but then shortly afterwords it started to act up again, and sounding like it was overheating again sounding like sh-t.
Am I missing something, it's bad enough it took me almost 7 months to fix it, between my work and family. Any help on what I did or didn't do, theres no water in the oil or anything else.

Mudderoy
08-01-2012, 03:13 PM
I bought a 2000 XJ freedom, the 5th day of owning it, the ring n pinion went out out, then a month later the engine over heated and the head gaskit went out on it. I just replaced the blown headgaskit, I replaced the starter since it was bad too. (which by the way I took out the 6 month old starter from my 89 xj and it bolted up to my 2000 just fine) the parts stores part # don't match, don't let that fool you, $140.00 for a cheap one for the 2000, and $50.00 or so for the 89 xj the only 2 really defference in them is the 89 is a 1/4 in longer and the 2000 has a lil quick disconnect on the ignition wire. save your self some money and buy the 89 . Anyways I just started up the 2000 yesterday, it started up within the 5 sec point. It sounded good, but then shortly afterwords it started to act up again, and sounding like it was overheating again sounding like sh-t.
Am I missing something, it's bad enough it took me almost 7 months to fix it, between my work and family. Any help on what I did or didn't do, theres no water in the oil or anything else.

How did you determine the head gasket was blown? When you took the old one out, was it really blown?

Did you check to make sure the head wasn't warped? Cracked?

Forgive me if you have this information in another post, I just don't remember if you do.

slvmart
08-01-2012, 04:44 PM
Check this out : http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=11252

4.3LXJ
08-01-2012, 04:57 PM
It might be getting hot. How is the rest of the cooling system? Fans, shrouds, radiator flush?

frontsideblunt
08-02-2012, 03:22 PM
Check the blades of the water pump. I had the same issure you're having. I was told it was my head gasket, but it ended up being the blades on the water pump had corroded away and they were completely gone.

Mudderoy
08-02-2012, 03:41 PM
Check the blades of the water pump. I had the same issure you're having. I was told it was my head gasket, but it ended up being the blades on the water pump had corroded away and they were completely gone.

That happened to my factory water pump. Plastic fins! Cheap bastards. ;)

JEEPSTER4EVER
08-15-2012, 01:46 PM
Soeey I haven't had a chance to get back to all of ya'll, and thank you for your help/reply. one day my wife drove it to town about 5 miles down it over heated, water dumped out the over flow hose, she didn't tell me and she drove it about another 5-6 miles with no water or very lil. I put water in it and started to drive it home, it kept over heating on me, i would pull over when it would reach the hot spot, i let it cool then drove it more, i did that about 6-7 times til i made it to my exit. then it stopped for good. The next day I had it towed the rest home, called around everybody said blown headgaskit. So I replaced it over time, finally got it finished, I replaced the water pump, the starter, a new belt, etc. I started it back up, it ran good for a few min. then started acting up again, The catilac converter popped up in my head, i pulled it off and tryied it again, it ran better bit longer but still no go. It sounds like i do got ton of air in the radiator lines, too. when i step on the gas 2500 RPM's and under sounds like crap but from around 2500 rpm sounds strong and ready to speed. if that helps any too. I really want to fix it, if it ain't gonna cost to much more. I've had it since dec, 2011, but since jan, 2012 it's been down. ??????? WTF should i do, or what am i missing, Please help.

Mudderoy
08-15-2012, 01:52 PM
Soeey I haven't had a chance to get back to all of ya'll, and thank you for your help/reply. one day my wife drove it to town about 5 miles down it over heated, water dumped out the over flow hose, she didn't tell me and she drove it about another 5-6 miles with no water or very lil. I put water in it and started to drive it home, it kept over heating on me, i would pull over when it would reach the hot spot, i let it cool then drove it more, i did that about 6-7 times til i made it to my exit. then it stopped for good. The next day I had it towed the rest home, called around everybody said blown headgaskit. So I replaced it over time, finally got it finished, I replaced the water pump, the starter, a new belt, etc. I started it back up, it ran good for a few min. then started acting up again, The catilac converter popped up in my head, i pulled it off and tryied it again, it ran better bit longer but still no go. It sounds like i do got ton of air in the radiator lines, too. when i step on the gas 2500 RPM's and under sounds like crap but from around 2500 rpm sounds strong and ready to speed. if that helps any too. I really want to fix it, if it ain't gonna cost to much more. I've had it since dec, 2011, but since jan, 2012 it's been down. ??????? WTF should i do, or what am i missing, Please help.

May have already asked... did you check to see if the head was warped? A new head gasket won't seal a warped head. Also what about a cracked head? I've never seen one in person, so I don't know if you can even tell if a head is cracked by looking at it.

When you changed the head gasket did any of the piston tops look different? Like one, or more, were very clean?

nickxj94
08-15-2012, 02:07 PM
Is it still using water? I'm with muddy on this one I believe the head is more than likely cracked or warped it don't take much to do it when they get hot

Sent from my SCH-M828C using Tapatalk 2

JEEPSTER4EVER
08-24-2012, 01:24 PM
I'm gonna have the bank come take it. I'm gonna get another jeep XJ with less problems. This thing has been a problem sinse the 5 th i've own it. the dealer ship wanna be's mechanics forgot the refill plug in he T-case so it was stuck in 4wheel drive on dry lands while I was going down the hwy. Let's say I didn't make it far til the ring n pinion went out, sheding the pumpkin bearing areas. it ain't worth the $6000.00 . Thanks for your help but this is just a bad head ache that I don't need.

Mudderoy
08-29-2012, 06:42 AM
I'm gonna have the bank come take it. I'm gonna get another jeep XJ with less problems. This thing has been a problem sinse the 5 th i've own it. the dealer ship wanna be's mechanics forgot the refill plug in he T-case so it was stuck in 4wheel drive on dry lands while I was going down the hwy. Let's say I didn't make it far til the ring n pinion went out, sheding the pumpkin bearing areas. it ain't worth the $6000.00 . Thanks for your help but this is just a bad head ache that I don't need.

It may have been built on an old Indian burial ground. So frustrating when things like this happen. Good news all your bad luck has been used up.

bluedragon436
08-29-2012, 07:56 AM
Sorry to hear about the bad luck you've been having with the newer XJ.. Are you planning on finding another one that is in hopefully better condition??

JEEPSTER4EVER
08-30-2012, 12:19 AM
I hope ALL my bad luck on buying a bad jeep is out, I will never turn my back on my fellow XJ's. NEVER. I am XJ4EVER. Yes I will find another XJ newer even. The same 4.0 same 4 dr, same 4x4. What can I say I love these jeeps. I'm just gonna check it over better,
Thank you all for your help and feed back. I hope I'm not upsetting any one on this, I just can't deal with something with this many problems when my family and I are barely making it, as it is. The payments ain't the prob., building a hole new jeep that shouldn't have broken down so soon with SO many parts going out on it, at once...

JEEPSTER4EVER
08-30-2012, 12:20 AM
While makeing payments on it at the same time.

bluedragon436
08-30-2012, 01:03 AM
Hey I can't say I blame ya on that... I know what it is like to be scrapping by and then have issues come up.. but when you are barely scrapping by and have issue after issue come up just after purchasing a vehilcle... that is crazy... and I can't say I blame ya for doing what you are doing with it.. You got to look out for what's best for the family..