PDA

View Full Version : Misfire due to bad Injector or bad engine compression(valves)

RyXj
08-01-2012, 04:47 AM
Alrighty folks I have a 1997 Jeep Cherokee XJ. I have been having a problem with it misfiring on the 6th cylinder. I replaced the sparkplugs, plug wires, distributor cap and rotor bug and still the same. When I took it down for a diagnostic the mechanic said it has to either be a bad injector or bad engine compression aka valves or rings. Any suggestions or anyone else having the same problem? Help is much appreciated!
Props to the XJtalk Facebook page also!

cantab27
08-01-2012, 05:59 AM
i had a misfire in my 95..done caps plugs dizzy same as you...was o2 sensor in the end..

when does yours happen , under power , idale......is it drinking a bit more gas..

prcjeep
08-01-2012, 08:56 AM
pull the injectors out and look at the o'ring seals... Last time i had misfire on 6 and rough running it was because one of the two o-ring's on cylinder 6's injector was missing.

Mudderoy
08-01-2012, 10:03 AM
i had a misfire in my 95..done caps plugs dizzy same as you...was o2 sensor in the end..

when does yours happen , under power , idale......is it drinking a bit more gas..

You had a misfire on one cylinder, the same cylinder all the time because of the O2 sensor?

4.3LXJ
08-01-2012, 11:01 AM
Couple of things I would check. First get a compression reading on al cylinders. Being that this is No 6, the hottest part of the engine, I would also suggest an analysis of the coolant for exhaust gasses.

cantab27
08-01-2012, 03:26 PM
You had a misfire on one cylinder, the same cylinder all the time because of the O2 sensor?

mate dont know what cylinder it was missing on....just put the idea out there as he had changed cap , leads , plus plugs, blah blah same shit as i had..

have also asked for more info.................:out: