PDA

View Full Version : Problem fixed - Thank You!!!

Superkirby
07-30-2012, 01:17 PM
BlueXJ, Mudderoy and anyone else that helped - THANK YOU!!!! My transmission problem was getting worse, to the point that last night I tried to drive it and couldn't get it to shift into third. I was very worried and I could see the $$$ adding up.
After the talk about the TPS I went out and messed around with it. I have to admit - I'm terrible with a volt meter, so while I tried a couple things, I really didn't know what I was doing. But needed to have the Jeep to drive for work, I decided to pull it off and replace it, as it was the cheapest place to start. After pulling the TPS, I tried checking it again. It didn't matter what I tried I was showing 3.4-3.6 ohms. Didn't matter which two pins I tested or how it was turned. So I decided it was either really bad or I was really dumb (or both).
Anyway, I got a new TPS and put it on. It's like driving a different Jeep. It went from shifting at about 30 last night and only if I let off the throttle a little bit, to shifting around 15. I don't really know where it shifted at as I wasn't ready for it to shift. It also went from shifting real hard to barely being able to tell it shifted. I kept driving it and it shifted smoothly through all gears. It was amazing. Feels like it's brand new.
So yeah, this was a long post for not a lot, except to so thank you very much. If y'all ever get up towards MN I owe you a steak or something.
Thanks again!
Vince

cantab27
07-30-2012, 01:35 PM
good to read about a fix...good work mate

prcjeep
07-30-2012, 01:38 PM
:worthlesspics:

BlueXJ, Mudderoy and anyone else that helped - THANK YOU!!!! My transmission problem was getting worse, to the point that last night I tried to drive it and couldn't get it to shift into third. I was very worried and I could see the $$$ adding up.
After the talk about the TPS I went out and messed around with it. I have to admit - I'm terrible with a volt meter, so while I tried a couple things, I really didn't know what I was doing. But needed to have the Jeep to drive for work, I decided to pull it off and replace it, as it was the cheapest place to start. After pulling the TPS, I tried checking it again. It didn't matter what I tried I was showing 3.4-3.6 ohms. Didn't matter which two pins I tested or how it was turned. So I decided it was either really bad or I was really dumb (or both).
Anyway, I got a new TPS and put it on. It's like driving a different Jeep. It went from shifting at about 30 last night and only if I let off the throttle a little bit, to shifting around 15. I don't really know where it shifted at as I wasn't ready for it to shift. It also went from shifting real hard to barely being able to tell it shifted. I kept driving it and it shifted smoothly through all gears. It was amazing. Feels like it's brand new.
So yeah, this was a long post for not a lot, except to so thank you very much. If y'all ever get up towards MN I owe you a steak or something.
Thanks again!
Vince

Glad you got this issue solved! I keep an extra TPS sensor in my glove box, as soon as I have hesitation issues/idle problems its the first thing i swap, then I take it back and warranty it. Keep us updated!

XJ Wheeler
07-31-2012, 12:41 AM
Just goes to show you the great people here and how much experience/knowledge they have. Glad you got it fixed easy (and cheap).