PDA

View Full Version : Rubicon express crossmember Help!

dillonreid
07-29-2012, 11:02 AM
I put my re cross member on today and when i put it in drive it vibrated like crazy so i crawled under it and saw my transfer case was resting on it on the cross member. So i grab a cut off wheel and notch the cross member a little to give it some room and as soon as i do that the case drops even more and ends up one it again bit not as many vibes so i drive around and makes a clunking sound so i drop the skid and cut more off hoping that's it but as soon as i got everything lined up the jack i was using gave way so i stuck the stock one on until i can get it on. SO......any suggestions?

4.3LXJ
07-29-2012, 11:06 AM
You might need a new transmission mount. They settle with time

dillonreid
07-29-2012, 11:19 AM
That's what I was told but how can I tell? It looks good to me still firm but not hard and has plenty of give.

4.3LXJ
07-29-2012, 11:55 AM
If you can push on it by hand and it gives, it is toast. It should be about 2" tall without anything sitting on it and at least 1.5" tall with the weight of the tranny on it.

Mudderoy
07-29-2012, 01:09 PM
I put my re cross member on today and when i put it in drive it vibrated like crazy so i crawled under it and saw my transfer case was resting on it on the cross member. So i grab a cut off wheel and notch the cross member a little to give it some room and as soon as i do that the case drops even more and ends up one it again bit not as many vibes so i drive around and makes a clunking sound so i drop the skid and cut more off hoping that's it but as soon as i got everything lined up the jack i was using gave way so i stuck the stock one on until i can get it on. SO......any suggestions?

The NP242 hangs lower than the NP231, is it possible that the crossmember was made for a NP231?

65BAJA
07-30-2012, 10:21 AM
If you do have the NP242 contact your Rubicon Dealer and get the RM21785 tranny mount bracket.