PDA

View Full Version : Adding gauges...

XJMikey
07-24-2012, 09:49 PM
Hello,

I'm thinking of building a custom gauge pod that will mount above the radio on top of th dash. Anyways... Which of the below gauges would be of use for a weekend wheeler?

Engine Coolant Temp
Engine Oil Temp
Engine Oil Pressure
Trans Fluid Temp
T-Case Fluid Temp
Front Diff Fluid Temp
Rear Diff Fluid Temp
Alternator/Battery Voltage

Yes, I know it's temp gauge overkill, but overkill is the #1 problem/damage prevention method.

4.3LXJ
07-24-2012, 09:55 PM
Engine Coolant Temp
Engine Oil Temp
Engine Oil Pressure
Trans Fluid Temp

XJMikey
07-24-2012, 10:04 PM
Engine Coolant Temp
Engine Oil Temp
Engine Oil Pressure
Trans Fluid Temp

Thank you for the help. Five gauges in a row will look better than 8 stacked 2 high, 4 wide.

prerunner1982
07-24-2012, 11:08 PM
Is it safe to assume that you have the "idiot' light gauge cluster, since half of the gauges suggested are in the normal gauge cluster. If this is the case I would agree with 4.3LXJ.

If you swapped to a full gauge cluster you could then get away with running the Engine Oil Temp, Trans Temp, and Tcase Temp gauges in our custom cluster.

Carves
07-25-2012, 07:48 AM
Hello,

I'm thinking of building a custom gauge pod that will mount above the radio on top of th dash. Anyways... Which of the below gauges would be of use for a weekend wheeler?

Engine Coolant Temp
Engine Oil Temp
Engine Oil Pressure
Trans Fluid Temp
T-Case Fluid Temp
Front Diff Fluid Temp
Rear Diff Fluid Temp

Yes, I know it's temp gauge overkill, but overkill is the #1 problem/damage prevention method.

My list would probably be ...

High Priority Gauges: Engine Coolant Temp, Trans Fluid Temp.

Handy Info Gauges: Engine Oil Temp, T-Case Fluid Temp.

Not so Important Gauges: Front Diff Fluid Temp, Rear Diff Fluid Temp

Doubling up Gauges: Engine Oil Pressure, Alternator/Battery Voltage

Since your considering so many ... something like these might also be useful.

Temp Gauges --> http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=8703

XJMikey
07-25-2012, 05:43 PM
Is it safe to assume that you have the "idiot' light gauge cluster, since half of the gauges suggested are in the normal gauge cluster. If this is the case I would agree with 4.3LXJ.

If you swapped to a full gauge cluster you could then get away with running the Engine Oil Temp, Trans Temp, and Tcase Temp gauges in our custom cluster.

Today... I realized I have most of the gauges I wanted to add. :bang:

My list would probably be ...

High Priority Gauges: Engine Coolant Temp, Trans Fluid Temp.

Handy Info Gauges: Engine Oil Temp, T-Case Fluid Temp.

Not so Important Gauges: Front Diff Fluid Temp, Rear Diff Fluid Temp

Doubling up Gauges: Engine Oil Pressure, Alternator/Battery Voltage

Since your considering so many ... something like these might also be useful.

Temp Gauges --> http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=8703

Decide to just get the autometer 2 gauge pillar pod and put a coolant temp and trans temp gauge in it.

prerunner1982
07-25-2012, 05:50 PM
Decide to just get the autometer 2 gauge pillar pod and put a coolant temp and trans temp gauge in it.

You should already have this gauge as well.

XJMikey
07-25-2012, 05:56 PM
You should already have this gauge as well.

Oops... meant oil temp. :D

4.3LXJ
07-25-2012, 10:09 PM
Mike, I wouldn't worry about the diff temps too much. Might scare ya if you knew how hot they get. It is really only an issue if you are towing heavy loads. If you are concerned about it, get a set of finned aluminum diff covers and then protect them with a steel cage. Some of those covers work pretty well at dissipating heat.

But I would be concerned with knowing about engine and tranny temps. The additives in engine oil break down about 250°. So if you were to say overheat really badly and manage to not loose the head gasket, an oil change would be in order. Or you can buy insurance with racing oil that will go to 300°

Tranny temp though can get real hot on the trail or towing. Knowing that it did hit the 240° mark would be handy so you could change the oil before damage to the tranny gets you later.

XJMikey
07-27-2012, 06:17 PM
Mike, I wouldn't worry about the diff temps too much. Might scare ya if you knew how hot they get. It is really only an issue if you are towing heavy loads. If you are concerned about it, get a set of finned aluminum diff covers and then protect them with a steel cage. Some of those covers work pretty well at dissipating heat.

But I would be concerned with knowing about engine and tranny temps. The additives in engine oil break down about 250°. So if you were to say overheat really badly and manage to not loose the head gasket, an oil change would be in order. Or you can buy insurance with racing oil that will go to 300°

Tranny temp though can get real hot on the trail or towing. Knowing that it did hit the 240° mark would be handy so you could change the oil before damage to the tranny gets you later.

Reading about the temps that the different fluids start to "cook" at is what started my want for temp gauges on everything. I'm still working on designing a custom dash pod, so it'll be a while before I drop in gauges and sensors.