PDA

View Full Version : Oil sending unit help

Brasscatz
07-23-2012, 07:09 PM
My oil pressure gauge has always been a bit wonky, as seems to be extremely common. I know it can get knocked around a bit during an oil change, etc. Gauge would read very low at idle, then get up to around 40 as I'm driving.

Well, today as I was leaving work my "check gauges" idiot light came on and as I'm weaving through the Houston traffic at the speed of a cool fart, my eyes settle upon my oil pressure needle asleep on the job. Not even a little wiggle. At a stop light, I turned off the Jeep and restarted it, and the needle got up to 10 after I started driving... but never left that mark. I stop at the Little Ceasar's for my gourmet $5 Hot and Ready and some garlic bread and the little needle bugger is taking another nap.

I've never changed out an Oil Sending Unit before, what's the difficulty level? What are the steps? Most importantly.... is telling Mr. Needle to wake up the only job that the sending unit has, or does it actually have an important role to play in the functioning of my motor? I'm going to blame this on Obama, really, because I think my Jeep caught wind of this "share the wealth" and "welfare-money-for-not-working" business.

http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo7/thestalliontruck/Red%20Bandit%20XJ/IMAG0896.jpg
http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo7/thestalliontruck/Red%20Bandit%20XJ/IMAG0894.jpg

4.3LXJ
07-23-2012, 07:13 PM
Disconnect electrical, unscrew unit. Put teflon tape on threads of new one and reverse procedure. Simple.

K-SKI
07-23-2012, 07:29 PM
just make sure you get one for the gauge instrument panel and not the one for the idoit lite instrument panel
i think you will understand if not, jeep came out with 2 different instrument panels for the xj one with gauges and one with just idiot lights but i think yours is a 97^ so i dont know if they did that for those years

Brasscatz
07-24-2012, 08:44 AM
It is a 97. So the only job it has is to work the gauge? Oh, and thanks for the replies, guys

Mudderoy
07-24-2012, 08:54 AM
My oil pressure gauge has always been a bit wonky, as seems to be extremely common. I know it can get knocked around a bit during an oil change, etc. Gauge would read very low at idle, then get up to around 40 as I'm driving.

Well, today as I was leaving work my "check gauges" idiot light came on and as I'm weaving through the Houston traffic at the speed of a cool fart, my eyes settle upon my oil pressure needle asleep on the job. Not even a little wiggle. At a stop light, I turned off the Jeep and restarted it, and the needle got up to 10 after I started driving... but never left that mark. I stop at the Little Ceasar's for my gourmet $5 Hot and Ready and some garlic bread and the little needle bugger is taking another nap.

I've never changed out an Oil Sending Unit before, what's the difficulty level? What are the steps? Most importantly.... is telling Mr. Needle to wake up the only job that the sending unit has, or does it actually have an important role to play in the functioning of my motor? I'm going to blame this on Obama, really, because I think my Jeep caught wind of this "share the wealth" and "welfare-money-for-not-working" business.

http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo7/thestalliontruck/Red%20Bandit%20XJ/IMAG0896.jpg
http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo7/thestalliontruck/Red%20Bandit%20XJ/IMAG0894.jpg

Yeah it's really simple to replace. Rule of thumb if you have ZERO oil pressure and no noise coming from the engine chances are it the sensor or the gauge. The sensor in the 1999 did this, replaced it now all is well. I seem to recall there being "stuff" on the threads of the sensor. I don't believe I had to put any tape on it.

msmoorenburg
07-25-2012, 07:10 AM
They go often or at least my turbo car eats them. Just make sure you have the special socket to replace the oil pressure sending unit.

prerunner1982
07-25-2012, 08:38 AM
No special socket needed to replace the oil pressure sensor on the 4.0. Did this a couple months ago on mine when I broke it in two while changing the oil.

And for the record. If you break your oil pressure sensor in two you can still drive your Jeep as long as the plastic "bladder"/Liner on the inside is still intact.

denverd1
07-25-2012, 09:27 AM
special socket is for the oil filter adapter. same area, prone to leaking/breaking. T55 torx IIRC. Splauto Zone sold me two of the senders when mine went, used one returned the other. Actually the other is still sitting in my garage with the rec't in the bag... but that was the plan. If you can change oil, this job is a breeze.

K-SKI
07-25-2012, 10:41 AM
only comment i have to make is that a friend on another site had his go bad so the took it out and went to go to the parts store to get a new and it slipped his mind that you cant drive unless its in there needless to say he had to do a oil change at the same time (had to replace at least 3 quarts)

prerunner1982
07-25-2012, 12:26 PM
Right..... can't take it off and drive but can drive with it broken but still attached.

prcjeep
07-25-2012, 05:09 PM
OMG!!! your airbag light is on... just fyi

Carves
07-25-2012, 06:14 PM
Just another FYI .. :D

If you dont a carry a spare oil sender in your toolbag ... Carry a hex head bolt or something with a matching thread ... to plug the hole.

... better than walking home / hitching rides ..

Brasscatz
07-25-2012, 06:27 PM
OMG!!! your airbag light is on... just fyi

:rotfl2: Indeed sir, indeed!

xjrev10
07-27-2012, 10:57 PM
I just replaced mine in my 91 MJ. It was leaking like crazy. 8 bucks at the parts store. The one they listed for my jeep was about a inch shorter then the one that was bad. No more leaks but now my oil pressure gauge on the dash is pegged when the engine is running. I don't know what the issue is....????

prerunner1982
07-27-2012, 11:10 PM
I just replaced mine in my 91 MJ. It was leaking like crazy. 8 bucks at the parts store. The one they listed for my jeep was about a inch shorter then the one that was bad. No more leaks but now my oil pressure gauge on the dash is pegged when the engine is running. I don't know what the issue is....????

Sounds like you got the sensor for the idiot light cluster and not the one for the gauge. That's why it was shorter. The parts store didn't show a gauge sensor for my 93 just the idiot light sensor. Their website did, but their in store computer didn't. I had them pull one from a 94 and it has worked fine.

Sender for Gauge type cluster:
http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/wl2/PS233/image/2/

Sender for idiot light cluster:
http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/wl2/PS296/image/2/