PDA

View Full Version : Can I take my thermostat out?

Metlic53
07-20-2012, 01:40 AM
My 90 jeep keeps getting hot while offroading and just sitting there it will run up to 240 then I gotta drive down the road and let it cool off until I can go through some more mud. Can I take the thermostat out and run it like that, it could be sticking since I've never changed it. Will taking that out hurt anything? Till winter of course.

cantab27
07-20-2012, 01:51 AM
just throw a new one in..be cheap as over there......

Mudderoy
07-20-2012, 02:15 AM
My 90 jeep keeps getting hot while offroading and just sitting there it will run up to 240 then I gotta drive down the road and let it cool off until I can go through some more mud. Can I take the thermostat out and run it like that, it could be sticking since I've never changed it. Will taking that out hurt anything? Till winter of course.

Yeah like Wayne said, very cheap, like $15 I think?

Carves
07-20-2012, 06:17 AM
Taking it out will only fix an overheating problem ... If the thermostat is cause. ;)

Yes - you can run without it ... but its better to remove the centre and refit the flange - so the normal, t'stat open, flow restriction is maintained.

..... and running without one - should, really only, be a trailside / get you home, repair.

As the others have mentioned ... its cheap to replace.

msmoorenburg
07-20-2012, 06:56 AM
I would also do a good cleaning on the radiator. I have a old unit at the shop from rene's jeep, and it has 10lbs of mud in it.

4.3LXJ
07-20-2012, 10:11 AM
Sounds like you don't move enough air when idling. Shrouds intact? Efan come on?

Metlic53
07-20-2012, 10:15 AM
Sounds like you don't move enough air when idling. Shrouds intact? Efan come on?

shroud has never been there, since ive had it...didnt have a problem last summer and efan works when it hits 210. it was fine in may, it just started doing this, thermo may be sticking.

Mudderoy
07-20-2012, 11:12 AM
shroud has never been there, since ive had it...didnt have a problem last summer and efan works when it hits 210. it was fine in may, it just started doing this, thermo may be sticking.

Get a shroud! http://www.teamcherokee.com/ or junk yard.

xj4life2
07-20-2012, 11:45 AM
I agree with all that said to get a shroud and a new t-stat. If you run without a t stat the ECM will not funtion as it should and cause running issues. Check the overflow bottle for cracks and leaks also. That is a closed system and under pressure constantly, if you have any leaks or air getting into the system this will call issues

Carves
07-20-2012, 06:29 PM
.................. If you run without a t stat the ECM will not funtion as it should and cause running issues ...................

Its not the lack of a thermstat that affects the computer ... but the coolant temp ...

... and theres a variety of things like driving conditions and weather that also play a part.

Im not endorsing running without a t'stat ... but in 80*+ ambients ... you generally wont even notice the t'stat missing ... but you add issues - like inadequate flow restrictions etc., without it fitted.

Metlic53
07-21-2012, 02:33 PM
well took it out and went mudding last night, overheating like crazy and the belt kept whining till the pulley exploded! no wonder it was overheating, put a new pulley on and no overheating, that pulley must've been pretty much stuck not letting the water pump turn fast enough cuz it would almost die at idle, i let it run outside for 30 minutes and down some trails and it never got above 180 so we will see if it overheats next trail run