PDA

View Full Version : Trans Filter or Cooler?

Superkirby
07-19-2012, 01:13 AM
Hopefully in the next few days I'm going to change the transmission fluid and filter on the Cherokee and I figure while it's empty-ish I might as well cut a line and add either a second filter or a cooler. I unfortunately can't afford both right now, so which one is a better all around investment?
If it helps, right now it's all stock and functions primarily as a commuter, with just a little woods exploring on the weekends. I drive about 25 miles one way to work and average 55-60.
Also, which specific filter or cooler do you recommend?

XJMJeep
07-19-2012, 01:52 AM
My opinion is go with the cooler, I went with the Hayden 512.
Might be a little overkill for an XJ but worked great!

bigjim350
07-19-2012, 02:28 AM
Id say for sure go for a cooler rather than another fliter. No brand of choice though, found mine laying in a shop.....works good though

Cheromaniac
07-19-2012, 05:40 AM
Also, which specific filter or cooler do you recommend?

Definitely go for an auxiliary tranny fluid cooler. Summit Racing have a selection so I recommend you go for a stacked-plate type (more efficient than tube & fin) and choose the largest one that'll fit between the grille and AC condenser (or an alternative location).

Superkirby
07-19-2012, 08:47 AM
Thanks for all the responses. I'm glad I asked. I was pretty set on the filter. I used to have a 99 Exploder and the explorer group swears up and down that a filter is the way to extend the life of the A4LD. So instead I'll look at a cooler.
Thanks guys!!

and choose the largest one that'll fit between the grille and AC condenser (or an alternative location).

I wish I had an AC condenser to put it between.

xjrev10
07-23-2012, 05:47 PM
#1 killer of ANY auto trans is heat.

Superkirby
07-24-2012, 09:20 AM
I have some cooler questions and I was going to start another post, but instead will just ask here.
First, what's makes a stacked plate style better than a tube and fin? Is it better enough to justify the price increase? Right now I can afford either a light duty plate style or a medium (or possibly heavy) duty tube and fin. Either one will be a Hayden brand, because that's what I can get locally.
Does anyone have any recommendations/experience with these?

4.3LXJ
07-24-2012, 09:23 AM
They all work. The stacked plate type are a little more space efficient. I have the fin type and am satisfied.

4x4Dalton
07-25-2012, 07:06 PM
I just put a fin type in mine and its runnin good.

Cheromaniac
08-03-2012, 08:25 AM
I have some cooler questions and I was going to start another post, but instead will just ask here.
First, what's makes a stacked plate style better than a tube and fin? Is it better enough to justify the price increase? Right now I can afford either a light duty plate style or a medium (or possibly heavy) duty tube and fin. Either one will be a Hayden brand, because that's what I can get locally.
Does anyone have any recommendations/experience with these?

The stacked plate type of cooler will dissipate heat faster but either will do fine as long as it's big enough for the job. I've had a Hayden OC-1404 in my '95 Mustang GT for the last 4 years and I'm very happy with it.
My Jeep has an AX15 manual tranny so no cooler necessary there.